Home Buying in Millburn>Question Details

, Other/Just Looking in

Need answers to Millburn, NJ real estate basics.

Asked by , Mon Apr 19, 2010

My sister is in the market for a house in Millburn. What are the best sections? Are there any pre- and after-school programs? If so, from what time to what time? How is the parking at the train station? Is the area near the train station any good? Any help would be much appreciated as we know nothing about Millburn. Thank you!

Answers

4
We live behind Taylor Park in Millburn in what is known as South Mountain "estates." We are three blocks from the park; two blocks from the elementary school; and less than 3/4 mile from high school, middle school and train station and/or the Post Office, City Hall or the best deli in central Jersey. The Paper Mill Playhouse and beautiful public library are also along this corridor and can be easily walked from our home or are less than three minutes away by car.

This is an ideal area for young families and/or those who want a true community with upscale shops, restaurants and entertainment. Our schools are always in the top five in NJ. Our taxes are the same, or less, than in some surrounding communities.

Millburn is the perfect town if you want the best PUBLIC education for your children and a wealth of experiences for yourself.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun May 23, 2010
HI again Helen..

Since you asked this question over a month ago - just curious to know if your sister has decided on a town. I know you posted several questions on trulia asking about various towns...................has she decided on any of them yet?

Best wishes!
Hi Helen
I grew up in Short Hills, part of Millburn Township, and attended Millburn High School ( a million years ago!). Your sister couldn't pick a better place to live! I have lived and worked in this area my entire life.

Truthfully, Millburn doesn't have any "bad" sections.....they are all good! That's not just hype - it's the truth!
"Best" is in the eye of the beholder, so your sister (and you) will have to visit, and make up your own minds after spending some time here.

The schools are among the highest ranked in the state. There is a school district preschool program..and a variety of preschool and after school private programs. The Montesorri school is just one to choose from.

As far as parking, there are 2 train stations and commuter parking lots in town. Permits are available to town residents only......and there is even valet parking! The mid town direct train is a commuter's dream.
For more information, call (973) 564-7083. I believe it will run around $360 a year for a parking permit.There is also one part of town that offers a shuttle bus service to the Maplewood train station.

There are lovely areas to live close to the train, so you can walk, if that's an appealing option.

There are parks (Taylor Park in the center of town with playground for children), great shopping along Millburn Ave......great restaurants, too.......and a town pool with 9 hole golf course & tennis.................so many wonderful amenities. Don't forget the fabulous Short Hills Mall, either!

I could go on and on.......but I'll stop for now!..............Whatever you're looking for, Millburn Township will have!

Please visit my website for some useful links on the area.
It would be my pleasure to help you and your sister in any way - I can sense your enthusiasm!!.......
I look forward to hearing from you!

Regards.....
Debbie Rose
Prudential NJ Properties

email: Debbie.Rose@PrudentialNewJersey.com
cell (973) 715-3131
office (973) 992-6363

Web Reference: http://www.debbierosesells.com
Hi Helenslam,

You obviously must know something about Millburn or you wouldn't have picked it. Millburn encompasses Short Hills and this wonderful small town combines a top public school system with a thriving town center and easy commuter access to NYC all in one. I used to live in the area for many years and still visit regularly with friends there. There are numerous pre- and afterschool programs available as well as excellent private schools if needed as well. Interstate 78, Route 22, and the Garden State Parkway are all close by as well. Due to its popularity, much of your choices will also revolve around your buying power. Feel free to reach out and I'll be happy to help out in any way I can.

Jacobus "Jack" Vollenberg
RE Appraiser - Vollenberg Appraisers
Realtor/REO Asset Manager
Bridgewater Realty
Vollenberg@iname.com
Office (908) 968-0336
Cell (973) 590-0142