Home Buying in Greenwich>Question Details

h_mittal, Home Buyer in Greenwich, CT

Need advise on what areas to look at in or near Greenwich?

Asked by h_mittal, Greenwich, CT Mon Nov 21, 2011

We are a couple with a 4 year old thinking about buying a house in Greenwich or nearby area. Budget around 1-1.5 m, 1.5 would be stretching it. Good Public schools, commute to NYC (my wife will be working in NYC and I will be working in Greenwich) are some of the criteria. We prefer newer houses with nice backyard.
So far just exploring through various forums-and confused as there are many different areas within Greenwich as well as some nearby (Darien etc). Not looking for a commute longer than 50 mins to NYC. Would like to get a good sense before to narrow down the choices before start looking in person.

Answers

7
Dolphin Cove on the boarderline of Old Greenwich and Stamford is a magnificent area. This community has its own association with a pool, marina, beach, tennis court, club house and cabana. My house is for sale and can be seen on Lorrain Leonard's website (Keller Williams) - 22 Half Moon Way, Stamford, Ct. and my house comes with a private dock.
If you would like more information on Darien feel free to contact me at (203)450-8095. The noroton heights(south darien) train will get you in to grand central in 50 during peak hours. In Darien you will get a bit more for your money than in Greenwich and the public schools are just as good if not better. Best of luck in your search.

Brad Hay
bhayproperties@gmail.com

Interesting and very common question. I just posted an analysis, map and links to example houses for this price range. I focused on NYC commuters viewpoint. You can see at the link below or by going to GreenwichStreets.com.

Basically, Greenwich is a small city composed of a bunch of villages most of which have their own business district, albeit often only a block or two. For the commuter we have 4 train stations and morning and evening express trains to Grand Central. Greenwich also has 11 elementary schools and is a big believer in neighborhood schools.

As to houses we have 66 single family homes in your price range, unfortunately only two these were built this century. We actually have 5 house in this price range built before 1901. The majority of the 66 houses were renovated in the past 15 years. Most of them have a good backyard.

You can reach me at 203-969-7900 if you would like find out more.

Mark
Hello Home Buyer,
Here are the links to the town web sites of Greenwich, Darien, and New Canaan which you may also wish to consider as the New Canaan schools have an excellent reputation and about a 50 minute train commute into NYC.

http://www.greenwichct.org

http://www.darienct.gov

http://www.newcanaan.info/

I suggest that you perform some drive-bys through the neighborhoods in these towns to get a better sense on where you will feel comfortable and happy living and also to learn more about the amenities they offer.

Good luck to you!

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
There are more beaut places near Greenwich, such as New Canaan, Westport and Fairfield.
They are about 50 min to NYC.If You need more info, I'll be glad to help.
718-490-5407
elenasellshomes.com
ekrichevsky@weichert.com
There are 72 active listings on the Greenwich MLS for 3+br homes or condos with asking prices between $1m and $1.5m. Darien has 34 homes currently on the market in this range.
Both towns offer strong public schools & commute times with in your criteria.
It's a great time to buy with interest rates at 40 yr lows.
If you would like more info. please let me know and I will send it on to you.
Greenwich is an excellent area to raise children! I was born and raised here. There are 10 elementary schools in Greenwich, 4 of which are magnet schools, you can apply to go to these, unless you live in the actual district. Greenwich taxes are the lowest in the state! The commute is under 50 minutes.

The different area's are Old Greenwich, Riverside, Cos Cob, Byram, Glenville. Then, of course, there is Central Greenwich and Back Greenwich.

Email me at suemortimer@prudentialct.com and I will tell you all about Greenwich and send some sample listings.