Home Buying in Russian Hill>Question Details

Julia_campbe…, Home Buyer in Somerville, MA

Need advice on way to develop lot in Russian Hill San Francisco condo two units - merge lots - create two single family residences - complicated!

Asked by Julia_campbell, Somerville, MA Fri May 3, 2013

I own a property in Russian Hill, currently tow lots with a house on one and garden adjacent on the second lot. The garden has a garage that is used by the house. I would like to build a house on the second lot but it will need to accommodate parking for the house. Would it be better to develop the property as two separate single family residences or condo them so that the house can still use part of the garden and hav access to the parking? The house is recorded as two units but to my knowledge has always been a single family house.

Answers

3
Lance R King’s answer
I would have to look at the property to help you assess. And I have done a lot of my own development projects so I do have background, but on the face of it two houses are going to be worth more than two condos. Contact info below if you'd like me to take a look.

Lance R. King
Founder-Managing Broker

King Realty Group
Cell: 415.722.5549
Email: lance@king-realtygroup.com
License # 01384425
Julia,

It would depend on a number of factors but one thing to keep in mind would be zoning as that will dictate what development is possible for the lot.
I would recommend consulting with an architect to fully understand the development potential and maximize your investment.
If you would like a referral please let me know.

Lizete Santos
Web Reference: http://www.LizeteSantos.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 4, 2013
Unless the 2nd lot is large enough the possibility of building a second house may not be there. If the current structure is legally a 2-unit building then your best bet might be to condo convert. I need more information to provide a complete response. BTW, is this lot above the Broadway tunnel?

Oggi Kashi - 415.690.3792 direct
Broker Associate, Paragon Real Estate Group CA DRE 01844627
All data from sources deemed reliable but subject to errors and omissions, and not warranted.
Web Reference: http://www.oggikashi.com/