Home Buying in Houston>Question Details

Sarah, Home Buyer in Houston, TX

Need a realtor for a new home build

Asked by Sarah, Houston, TX Sat Dec 19, 2009

My husband and I are looking to buy a new spec house in Houston near zip code 77089 sometime betwen January to April of 2010. We need a realtor to represent US not the builder. We recently had to back out of a new home purchase because we failed to get a realtor the first time, and felt the builders were taking advantage of us How much could a realtor negotiate off the sales price of a $240,000 new home? Thanks, Sarah

Answers

16
FYI

Builder is going to atempt to steer you to finance thru his pre arranged mortgage company this is not your best bet.

They will also attemp to make the title insurance policy contingent on you using their mortgage company.

Do NOT fall for this!!!! If this happens you will be paying above market interst rate which will cost you tens on thousands more over the life of the loan, this is another area unsuspecting buyers are taken advantage of.

Make sure you have financing arranged ahead of time.

Let me know if you need help.

Erik Konar
Mortgage Banker
ekonar@patriotbankusa.com
Office: 281-583-0674
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 20, 2009
What a great idea to look on Trulia first and to make sure you are represented! Too many buyers think that they do not need to be represented and end up resenting it.
The salesperson in most cases make you feel like you are getting a great deal but in fact they there to make sure the builder is.
Please check out the agent you are working with and make sure they have the experience needed. I would be more than happy to assist you in the purchase, I received my New Home Sales Representation as part of my Accredited Buyers Representative designation and bought a new home in July as well has assisted in several purchases for my clients.
Give me a call if you would like to discuss it furture.
Hi Sarah,
It is always to a good idea to have a Realtor who represents you and your best interests. I would be happy to help you with your buying process and am a great negotiator.

Happy house hunting!
Pam Miller
713-269-9017
Sarah,

Be sure to do some research on the Home Builder and their HOA!

Paula Carrasco
Hi Sarah, is always good to have a Realtor to guide you through the process of find the perfect home for you and the right builder, and remember and is very important before you visit any builder for the first time, always go with your Realtor, he/she have to fill it up the registration form as your representative with each builder.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 19, 2009
Sarah I am not looking to represent you but thankfully you are looking for representation. There are some no pass go issues with builders but in my last transaction with a builder I saved my client 8% off builders price. To a builder someone that walks in the door is a one time deal. The Realtor® that comes in may be 2-3 transactions a year and thier office may be worth a lot more. The builder may not give very much price wise on a "stripped" house but when you do smart upgrades that add value to the home you can be surprised what you end up with.
New homes are our specialty!
http://www.eNewHomes.com
Web Reference: http://www.enewhomes.com
You can start by calling a few Realty offices-- interview a couple of agents and choose the one you like best--Your agent will best negotiate for you, after looking at all there is to look at--recent comparable sold properties in the immediate area, review all necessary paperwork, builder guarantees, etc.
Important to note that all sales from a builder will NOT be in MLS - builders do not participate in MLS - unless there is a real estate agent involved in representing a buyer; therefore, a true definitive answer as to what previous sales have been in a new neighborhood - would be hard to give you a realistic answer.

Again, I would love the opportunity to visit with you and advise you about the different areas in Pearland - what neighborhoods have been successful - which ones have taken quite a while to get off the ground, etc.

Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Pam Butler
Prudential Gary Greene Realtors
17250 El Camino Real
Houston, TX 77058
832-415-4888 - DIrect
281-386-6699 - Mobile
A realtor for a new home is a great idea. I recently helped a buyer get a lower price after they had already signed and agreed to purchase a new home. Good luck
Hi Sarah, it's going to depend on who the builder is - if you are doing a dirt sale or if the home is an inventory home. You have much more negotiating power if it's an existing inventory home, because the builder wants that home off of their books - quickly. Dirt sales - not so negotiable and it's usually a base price they give you and any upgrades just add to that base price - as I'm sure you know. Builders are always advertising great incentives - but those usually have time frames attached to them and can change weekly - depending on how their area is moving and progressing with sales. So, to give you a definitive answer as to how much could a Realtor negotiate off the sales price of a $240,000. new build is hard to answer - without giving you the perception of a lot of smoke an mirrors to my answer. As 'your' agent - I would have no problem - giving the sales rep a number to work with and they in turn would have to take it to corporate and respond to our offer - usually in an hour or two - typically never longer than 24 hours. What builders are you looking at?
The builder has a professional representative watching out for his/her needs, and you need the same expert representation. Buying a new home is a little more difficult and time-consuming than buying a resale. I can professionally guide you through this process. It is very important that your interests be professionally represented when you are entering into a contract for a semi-custom or build-to-suit home. These transactions are complex and the contract details must be exact in order to protect you and to ensure you get exactly the home you want. Please contact me at 832-771-1837 or via my website and I will be glad to help you with the negotiation for the purchase of your new home.

Sherri Easley
Keller Williams
sherrieasley@kw.com
832-771-1837
Web Reference: http://sherrieasley.com
Hi Sarah,

So you and your Husband are interested in buying near the Pearland and Hwy 45?

To help answer your questions, I would need more information about the exact area to be able to
pull market area comparables.

The comparables will tell us what's been sold in the last six months in the area.

Also, since it's a new home, there are items that can be negotiated INTO the price of the home.

Like finishes, appliances, closing costs, home warranties, etc.

I would be happy to represent you and answer the many more questions that will

come during your buying process.

For your best interest be sure your are ready with a lender.

Sometime going with the builder's preferred lender offers some opportunites but

I've negociated before the items offered by the builder for going with their preferred lender while my clients

closed with their preferred lender.

Please contact me for further discussion if you would like!

I'm ready to help and you are very smart in researching ahead of time!

Best of research and I hope to hear from you Sarah!

Paula Carrasco
713.367.3207
paula@paulahousehunter.com
http://www.houstoncondosandhomes.com
Hi Sarah, my name is Pamela Mouton-Butler and I work for Prudential Gary Greene on El Camino Real in Clear Lake. I have been in the real estate industry for 13 years and would love the opportunity to work with you and your husband during the build process of your new home. You are correct and right on for wanting representation. Please feel free to contact me on my cell at 281-386-6699. I look forward to hearing from you. Happy Holidays !!
Hehee, don't shoot me an agent ...typing on my blackberry
Hi Sarah,
I'm happy to help! You would be amazed at what having a good representative can get you in negotiations. Please give me a call or shoot me an agent and I can get moving on some things for you. Look forward to working with you soon!

Amber Carrillo, Broker
It Homes
Ambersells@sbcglobal.net