Home Buying in Lakewood>Question Details

Erin Delliqu…, Home Buyer in Lakewood, CA

Need MAJOR supplemental tax help!! ASAP

Asked by Erin Delliquadri, Lakewood, CA Thu Feb 26, 2009

We bought a home in Nov 2008, the previous owner bought the home in August 2008 and flipped it. We are now getting a supplemental tax bill that includes the previous owners portion, also we have been told by the Assessor that since the previous owner had 1 whole year to pay their supplemental and only owned the home for 3 months, that we are now responsible for the remainder of their year of supplemental that goes back to when the home was only worth 19K. Our home has yet to be assessed for our purchase so we have another bill coming, how can we be made responsible for someone elses tax debt? Assessor said this should have ben included in our escrow papers. In the meantime, we now have a delinquent bill that needs to be paid. Who do we go to, who dropped the ball? This sounds crazy to me!

Answers

2
You can give a call to Bob Taylor with N, American Title (562) 988-7870 who is a title officer and they as well as escrow deal with the County Tax Assessor and maybe able to help you. I also have an excellent escrow officer I use with N. American and her name is Lisa Hunter, she too may be able to help her number is (949) 582-7267.
I agree with you that you should not be held accountable for their portion but often the supplemental property tax bill is not calculated by the tax assessor for 3-6 months past the close of escrow . We have forms that we provide to the Buyer and also in the escrow instructions it states that the buyer needs to be aware there may be a supplemental tax bill for the time that the buyer owns the property from close of escrow . But I have never had this situation so expert help is needed. If they don't know they will be able to direct you to someone who can.

Barbara Robbins-Olexa, Broker, e-Pro(R), SRES(R)
L B Brokerage
714-296-7270
bstrealtor@aol.com
http://www.barbararobbinsolexa.com
Start with your Escrow Company as far as answers & help, re: "Assessor said this should have ben included in our escrow papers."

Best, -Steve