Home Buying in Natick>Question Details

Realty Green…, Home Buyer in Needham Heights, MA

Natick superfund site

Asked by Realty Greenhorn, Needham Heights, MA Wed Feb 27, 2013

We saw a property near the west natick station & are considering putting in an offer but I just came to know that there's a army R&D center in kansas st that's listed as a superfund site. The EPA site lists that the soil in & around that campus as well as the cochituate lake & several municipal well fields might be contaminated.

1. Is this an active site like the Nyanza chemical waste dump site?
2. Is this an active issue among natick citizens or people in & around the site?
3. Is this the reason why property prices seem stymied in & around that area?

Answers

4
Richard Shapiro’s answer
I'm assuming the prices of the area are more due to the proximity to Framingham than anything. With all the condos and many of those being rentals, some might consider the area more transitory than stable.

I've help people with mortgages closer to the base (off Main Street) and the values there have been increasing from what I can tell.

My office is near the west natick train station and has been for 13 years. I dont think I have any extra limbs growing that I know of.
I'm sure extra limbs would be of help but given that these elements (categorized as carcinogens) can cause cancer I wanted to have some opinion on it.
Flag Thu Feb 28, 2013
The Army Labs had been listed in the past as a Superfund site but have since been cleaned up. I live on the lake and have for 10 years. We've never been concerned other than to not eat the fish. There are several reputatable sites that offer assistance on this topic. As for prices, I'm not sure what you're talking about as in the housing market from $500k+, the inventory is low and the houses have been selling in hours. The condos that you are looking at are older and not within walking distance of town center which depletes the pricing.
So, Asivaraman,

You ask a lot of questions here.
Are you having trouble finding a professional to help you?
I would contact a local real estate professional to help with this answer and to save time and money.
(Not me, I'm on the Cape, but I can help you choose a local pro if you want help doing so.)

(Please note: when you choose an answer as a Best Answer, or at least give a thumbs up, it helps those who answer questions here.)
I do have a agent but I come here looking for alternate view points that would help me make an informed decision as a consumer. I hope you take this in the right spirit but as somebody who contributes a lot to this forum I expected lot more in your response :-).
Flag Thu Feb 28, 2013
For you best source in any community I suggest you contact the local board of health to ask your question. If they don't have the answer they will direct you to those that do.

Natick values in general have been low for what it has to offer, unless your looking in South Natick which has more land and more expensive homes.

Louis