Home Buying in Houston>Question Details

Westside Lady, Home Buyer in Houston, TX

NEED HELP: Realtor has left the country and assisting me on a limited basis, but I need someone local to help me. Can this work?

Asked by Westside Lady, Houston, TX Mon Oct 1, 2012

My realtor is out of the country dealing with family matters, and I'm in the process of looking for a home in West Houston (Katy/Richmond area). Not sure when he will return, but I don't want to postpone my desire to see homes and possibly make an offer. How can I remedy this? Can I see homes without him? Can I make offers without him? I've been looking for almost a year, and I'm ready for this to be over. Already pre approved, great credit and eager for the right home.

Help the community by answering this question:


Check with your Realtor's broker. I see you didn't sign a buyer's rep. If you had, that agreement is with the Broker. He can assign another realtor to assist you. There is probably someone in the brokerage who is covering for your Realtor who is on vacation. They have probably worked something out on commissions and client care. If you feel loyal to your Realtor, feel free to follow up with the Broker. He'll be happy to help you!
3 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 2, 2012
Thank you..If you can give him a call to see if another Realtor can team up with him and get you the house you are interested in......Sometimes I have to travel to Mexico or internationally for a closing or showing, and i ask my client if needed i can assigned another Realtor so the purchase or transaction can be accomplish for the buyer's and or sellers petition...

If so..hopefully he has someone,,if not email him what your need is...he or she will look out for you the best way possible...

Thank you..and wish you the best.hope you can get it...

Raul Suarez, Realtor
Realty Associates
1-10 and Antoine
713-269-0565 cell
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 7, 2012
if you have a buyer agreement you must honor it, check the dates on you agreements. If the agreement has expired, you are free to go and sign up with someone else...
Georgina van camp
Keller Williams realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 21, 2012
Your Realtor should be able to have a Colleague from his Broker's Office assist you.

Susan Collins
2M Realty Advisors
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 7, 2012
I would be happy to help you! You may contact your Realtors Broker, and explain your deliema. They may offer to assign you to another Agent, that will be available to help you right away. If you do not get a replay, to your voicemail, do follow up with an email. Should the response not suit your schedule and or timeframe, I would recommend you find yourself another Agent, and or Broker.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 3, 2012
I would suggest you get in touch with your Realtor immediately and ask what the situation is and when he will return. You seem to be stressing an urgency now after working with him for a year!
If you have a signed agreement with him it is very unfair to suddenly switch if he has been working with you for a year. On the other hand if he left you without an explanation that's another matter, was this a family emergency, he should have had an associate stand in for him during his absence until he returns, you say he is still assisting you but in a limited capacity. If you are that unhappy about it, you have an obligation to discuss it first with him the same as he has an obligation to give you a date when he plans to resume your contractual relationship. If you are unable to communicate with him and do not receive a reply then you should contact his broker of reference. If that fails, then you have the right to terminate any existing contract and proceed with another Realtor. I hope you can resolve the issue and you find your desired home soon. If I can be of further assistance if you decide to terminate your contract then please contact me 832-274-7572 (ethically Realtors are not allowed to solicit another realtor's client) Good luck!
Web Reference: http://agoodehome.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 1, 2012
Would be glad to assust, it's better to contact the agent you want to work with, and clarify a few points, then go from there.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 1, 2012
Hi Westside Lady - If you have signed a buyer representation agreement and have been working with him for a year, you would have to wait for him. If not, I would love to help you find a place!


Peggy O'Neill
Realty Associates
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 1, 2012
If you have a signed agreement you can ask to terminate it. If he hands you off to someone else in his office there are some issues I see. That agent will have to pay a referral fee to your first agent. You are getting an agent that you did not choose. What if you don't feel confident with that person? I suggest looking on har.com at some agents with high customer service ratings. Even meet a few to see who you connect with. You are putting your trust in someone so you need to have a connection there.

I would be happy to talk to you about what you are looking for. I work in West houston and Katy mostly but have been showing a lot of the new stuff way out west lately. FYI, I have a 5 star client rating and I worked hard to get it!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 1, 2012
im most interested staying inside of 99. no farther.
Flag Mon Oct 1, 2012
Get him to recommend a partner in his office to assist you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 1, 2012
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
Given that you plan to reconvene with your realtor upon his return, most agents will not want to spend the time and money that it takes to show property. If you do not have a signed agreement with your realtor, you should be willing, in all fairness, to sign an agreement with the realtor that works with you in his absence. Agreements can be for varying amounts of time so you might just commit for three months and if you don't find a property in that period of time the agreement is over and you can return to your original agent.
I have worked with this arrangement in the past and would be willing to work with you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 1, 2012
You can move on with another Realtor if you do not have a signed representation agreement. If you do, your best option is to speak to his broker and they will assign another Realtor within their office to assist you.

If this Realtor is your friend, you would hate to do something without him after a year of him working for you. With todays technology, I know you can reach out to him and work out something where he is still part of the transaction. I know he will want what is best for you.

Mark McNitt
m 832-567-4357
Bernstein Realty, Inc.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 1, 2012
Thank you for your answer, however, as realtors when we work with a client, we like to see it come to fruition. I don't think it would work out for you or the agent helping you, if you were to work temporarily with someone and then go back to your agent. As Buyer's Representatives, we work for free, for our clients, until the contract closes, so most agents would not be comfortable if you are not dedicated to them.

Thank you for trying to clarify this and we appreciate that you are checking this out to make sure that you are doing the right thing.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 1, 2012
First priority should be that you receive the service your agent agreed to provide when you both signed a buyer’s representation agreement. That is assuming you both signed an agreement. If you did, your first course of action should be to contact the agent’s manager/broker to try to come up with a solution, such as assigning another agent from the company to assist you. You may want to take this approach even if you did not sign a buyer's representation agreement out of consideration for the year your agent put into assisting you. However, your agent should not have left you hanging high and dry when his family emergency caused him to become unavailable to you. He should have made arrangements for an associate to take over until he returned. If you did not sign a buyer's representation agreement you probably are not going to be in violation of a contract if you decide to use another agent from a different brokerage. You could request a cancelation of the service contract from the broker you had been working with through your agent. The company I am affiliated with, Better Homes and Gardens Gary Greene, has a customer guarantee. If we cannot resolve any differences with our customers we agree to release them from the contract. If the broker your current agent is affiliated with refuses to release you from a buyer’s representation agreement, you may want to contact a real estate attorney to see what can be done. If you would like to discuss this in more detail, feel free to call me at 281-798-4100.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 1, 2012
Good morning,

You should really communicate your concerns with your realtor if you have a representation agreement in place. The agreement is binding, however, you do have the power to cancel. It wouldn't be ethical for another realtor to work with you if there is a buyer's representation agreement in place with someone else and the representation agreement with your current realtor would create a situation that any realtor coming in would be doing so free and would not be entitled to any commissions from the seller. If you need any additional help or if you do not have a buyers representation in place, I have availability and would love to help you out.

Sabrina Dupas
Better Homes and Gardens Gary Greene
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 1, 2012
Answer to additional question: No, we do not have a specific contract. He is a family friend. We spoke on the issue in his absence, and he was okay with me moving forward if a home became available I couldn't wait for! Otherwise, we would probably reconvene when he returned if I hadn't found anything yet.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 1, 2012
If you have a signed agreement with your Realtor (a buyer-broker agreement or something similar) you may be obligated to pay your Realtor a commission on any home that you buy even if you use another Realtor. If you have no written agreement you should be free to use another Realtor in the absence of your existing Realtor. If you have a contract with your existing Realtor, I would contend that he/she has “abandoned” you and you are free to seek the services of another Realtor. However, that is a risky way to go and could backfire on you.

Can you contact your Realtor? If so, notify that person that you cannot wait for some unknown future date when that Realtor will once again be available and you want to move forward with someone new.

You can also discuss your predicament with your Realtor’s broker who will want to preserve your relationship. The broker may be able to hook you up with another Realtor in the office in the absence of your Realtor.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 1, 2012
no contract.
Flag Mon Oct 1, 2012
Hello and Good Morning,

If you have a Buyer Representation Agreement with your real estate agent, it would be better if you speak with him to figure out how to work around this.

If you want to start working with another agent instead, I would still suggest you let him know what you plan on doing.

Much as I would love to help, I would not feel comfortable taking away business from someone unless there is a strong and valid reason for it.

I am here if you need assistance.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 1, 2012
If you have a Buyer's Rep Agreement in force, you may want to call his Broker.
Most agents will have another agent in their office handle their clients if they will be out of touch.
It is nice to know there are clients out there that have some loyalty when their buyer's agent works hard for them.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 1, 2012
Did you sign a buyer agency agreement with him? If so, you might want to contact him and ask him to release you from it. If you haven't signed anything, then just go find another agent. Or you could ask your agent to refer you to someone else in his office.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 1, 2012
Yes, we would be more than happy to help you as long as you don't have a representation agreement signed by you with your current agent. Just let us know!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 1, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer