Home Buying in Charlotte>Question Details

Jeff Logan, Home Buyer in 28262

My wife works at Presbyterian Hospital. We are looking for a house around that area. We are trying to spend

Asked by Jeff Logan, 28262 Sun Jun 29, 2008

no more than $300,000. What or where is the best location for that price thats not really far from the hospital. We are trying to locate in South Charlotte. We are currently on the university side and we need to get away from that area. Is there nice neighborhoods in South Charlotte thats mostly late 20s early 30s. We do not have kids nor do we want a condo. Thanks for your help.

Answers

18
Dear Jeff,

You have picked an area full of great subdivisions. If you would prefer an older (and often better built home) I would suggest Sartis Plantation, Sardis Forest, Somersby or even a few in your price range in Providence Plantation. Of course there is one of my favorite, Greenbriar, but I also like Hampton Green and Courtney. If you perfer newer, Try Matthews Grove, Providence Glen, McKee Woods and Willowmere. If you want new construction, I recently helped clients build a house in Greylock and Ryan homes did a great job. Their building superintendant there, Dusty, is really great.

As far as the age groups in these different areas, they all differ a great deal. IT is almost impossible to pick a subdivision in this area by age group. I suggest that you drive thru some of these areas on a Saturday or Sunday to see who may be out in their yards.

These subdivisions also have a wide variation on the size of lots, so you need to decide how much yard work you want to have to do and choose accordingly.

If I can be of any help, I would love to be of service. My profile has my information and my website allows visitors to search the entire MLS. Let me know how I can be of service to you.
Jeff :I believe you would enjoy Myers Park ! Give me a call and let's take a tour and get in on the best buyers market in years. The nice thing is the location, safety and quick to almost everything you need plus fantastic
walking and enjoyment including Queens Road West ! Gorgeous sidewalks open to all ! Give me a call today and let's get started!
Call me!! I am going to sell my dad's home. Perhaps we can work something out. Especially if you do not have a realtor representing you.

Barry Sklar
704.5784300
I agree with Mike. The Commonwealth area is a very nice area with quick access to Indepence.... or easy meandering through the residential streets to the Presbyterian Hospital area. You can find a residence... and possibly make a deal in your purchasing range. Do you have an agent?
Jeff,
I just moved from the Plaza-Midwood area and had lived there for 6 years and loved it. The only reason we moved was to renovate another home in the south end. I've also done homes in the Commonwealth-Morningside area. That is a great value area and good for long term investment.

We specialize in short sale and foreclosure properties. I just posted this video on what to expect for timings if you make an offer on a short sale. let me know if I can help you out at all:
http://beehomesolutions.com/427/how-much-time-can-i-expect-t…

Take care,
Mike Moulton
Dear Jeff,

It appears that in my last response I was thinking of Presbyterian in Matthews not near Uptown. Let me see...Close to the Uptown area is a little harder is you want a backyard. Within 1 mile of the hospital is Chantilly that has a number of really cute home within your price range. One is an older home that is about to be foreclosed on but short sale are not as bad as many agents say. There is also a newer home in there that is cute. There is also a very nice looking home within about 6 blocks of the hospital. Those are the ones withing a mile. I'm sure if we extend the circle a bit more there will be a lot more homes. Your request is very doable.

Check out my website and search for homes using 28204 to see the ones within walking distance. The Chantilly are in zip code 28205 but that will take in a lot of other homes also. You can check them by map then. If you register on my website, I can email you homes. Be sure to mention Trulia so I connect with this request.

Sara Rich
Rich Properties
hey go to http://www.cbunited.com/kaymorrison feel free to search from here on your own. You can also from here do a detailed search using schools or the hospital as your target. Give me a call if you have not found anything.
Instead of focusing on a neighborhood, you need to look for the best values within an acceptable distance from the hospital address. I would be searching all homes under $325M (to give yourself some negotiating room) within a certain distance and anaylzing each for it's acceptability, then, research the neighborhoods.

At $300M, you will have to make some significant trade-offs. No realtor can know what is important to you - bedrooms, square footage, location, etc. You can do most of this research yourself at ZipRealty - see my profile below. I am working with several clients with a family member in the middle east and would be pleased to assist you too.
How about the Chantilly area? Commonwealth area?
I will be happy to email you info on the available homes in the area you are looking for.
No strings attached.

Angelica Traub
atraub@cbunited.com
Hey Jeff, I would recommend you check out some of the areas near Cotswold, and then going out Providence Road. Castleton Gardens is close in, just off Sharon Amity and Randolph which is about a 8 minute drive to Presby. Sherwood Forest is great, but getting a little pricey. There are houses that need some work in there...and in the nearby areas. Then just a little further out Old Farm, Old Salem, and Lansdowne are all great areas with good size lots...for the most part private. There are a few other neighborhoods in that area that you might like too. They aren't too far from her work.
If you can stand a smaller house there are some great intown neighborhoods: Chantilly, Midwood and Commonwealth Park but the houses are smaller.... like around 1500 sq. feet in general for $300,000.
If you want to check out some info on these and other cool neighborhoods go to our blog: http://www.HipHoods.com. If you want to see where your wife is working... check out the Elizabeth Video on YouTube. Go to SavvySnaps and see all our neighborhood videos.

I hope you are not too hot in Iraq.... I lived in Iran as a kid.... and know how miserable the heat and dust can be.... You'll love Charlotte! Lots of trees.
Absolutely. I drive through some of those areas every day. There are some beautiful communities in the area. I used to work in the university district so I understand your situation. I agree with the previous comment, look for an agent that will sit down and listen to you and your wifes desires and dreams. Do the same for your mortgage as well, your in a great position to really set up a tremendous retirement for yourselves. Make sure your mortgage professional listens to your goals and dreams as well. It is possible to get financing that not only fits you now, but your future aspirations. If you'd like the name of a few realtors that can assist, don't hesitate to ask, best of luck
Hi Jeff, The two of you should first find a real estate agent you both feel comfortable working with. The agent can then work with you to find your perfect home in your price range. It is always good to drive through the areas you are interested in at different times of the day. A neighborhood dynamics may be alot different at 7pm then when you saw it at say 10am. It is also good to drive from the house to work when you would normally have to leave for work to test out how yous commute every day would typically be. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you!
Jeff, so you will want to be near the downtown (what they now call "uptown") area. There are many homes in this area from the 20's-30's...price range will be more than 300 though. You can email me for more info if you would like...
ShawnMcStravick@yahoo.com
hello everyone thanks for the replies, but Shawn mentioned there more than one Presbyterian Hospital. She works at the one 200 Hawthorne Lane. I believe its rite down or close to downtown. I'm currently a civilian contractor in Iraq. When i come home i can be comfortable in my own HOUSE. A private backyard is a must. Thank You again
Hi Jeff, depends on which presbyterian hospital she works with...I am with you on the era of homes you like. My first home was this era & we loved it! There are a few select neighborhoods with this age home & price range I wouldn't mind showing you. I was born & raised here, lived overseas for a while, but I currently live in the Matthews area myself. Perfect time to buy & relocate. Hope to hear from you.
Shawn McStravick
Tri-County Realtors
Hello, Jeff. I think your best bet is to work with a local real estate agent. They will be able to create a search for you to fit your needs. The market is very open for buyers right now. Sellers are motivated. Sounds like you may be looking on your own at price points that could be lower , if you had a buyers agent. That is what they do for you , they reveiw the current market and check pricing in the areas to make sure you are offering the best price point for the area and the market. You may visit me at http://www.carolina-real-estate.com , I would be glad to assist you in your search to make it a smooth and fun experience.
Hi Jeff,
I would love to help you out! And, yes there are plenty of homes on the South side in the price range you mentioned. I have been in Charlotte my whole life and can guarantee that I'll show you the in's and out's of every neighborhood! Please give me a call at 704-609-6653 so we can talk further about your needs!
Also, you can read more about me on my link: http://helenadamsrealty.com/bgionis or email me directly at bgionis@helenadamsrealty.com
I'll look forward to helping and getting to know you both.
Beth