Home Buying in New York>Question Details

Home Shopper…, Home Buyer in New York, NY

My wife and I work in downtown Manhattan and want to buy a home within a 45 minute commute to work. What towns in NJ / NY are best for our search?

Asked by Home Shopper Dave, New York, NY Sat May 21, 2011

We are willing looking to spend around $1mm, we don't have children yet but want an area with a younger population and a good school district. We are reform jewish and any community/temple in the area would be a big plus.

The commute is extremely important (the shorter the better) since we have to be in the office early.

Thanks!

Answers

14
There are three train lines to choose from and plenty of great Westchester County towns along all lines to choose from. I cover all of these towns and would love the opportunity to tell you more about all of them! Your price range of up to $1 million will yield significant inventory and allow you to find a very lovely home.

Check out this MTA website which lists all of the stops along the lines. In order to be within a 45 min train ride this means that on the New Haven Line you would want to be no further than Portchester; on the Harlem line around Pleasantville; and on the Hudson Line no further north than Ossining.
Hi, There are many towns in Westchester County that will work, such as New Rochelle, Eastechester, Scarsdale, and Larchmont. You can visit http://www.spotcrime.com or http://www.homefair.comfor crime stats, area demographics, etc. For school reports you can go to http://www.schooldiggers.com, http://www.greatschools.org, and http://www.schoolmatters.com.

Chris
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun May 22, 2011
I'm going to put forth 2 strong runners for you. Forest Hills and Kew gardens are within a short commute (20 minutes to Manhattan) We have a lovely community here with ample shopping and lovely tudor and colonial homes. Also several choices for temples and top rated schools. Check out my website for a start, and if you are heading over let me know and I'll give you the royal tour.

Jacques Ambron
Broker
Suggest you call a Local broker in the areas you find best suited to your needs. For Hudson County , NJ call Christoph Schluender (Realty) at 917.573.2016. He is very knowledgeable and thorough.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 21, 2011
Home Buyer - just to help you narrow it down a bit........what is your preference?

Do you want a more urban area/lifestyle - with highrise living? If so, then Hoboken might be for you.

Or, are you looking for suburban life, with a single family home , backyard and lots of trees, where you can barbeque in the summer ?

Answering these 2 questions might help point youin the right direction.

Best wishes!
Hi Home Shopper

The good news is, you have numeorus choices - that can also be the bad news, as it may be overwhelming to choose!

I am in a NYC suburb in NJ - (forget what you see on reality tv shows - it's lovely here!!) - many commute daily to the city from my area
.
Based on your price range, you might want to consider Millburn/Short Hills as one option. Outstanding, top rated schools, shops, restaurants, a charming downtown area and ...best of sll... the Midtown Direct train to Penn Station are reasons many choose this area.
Check out the links on my web page for more information.

The commute is about 40 min on the train, direct to Penn Station.
In regard to temples, Temple B'Nai Jeshrun is one of , if not the, largest Reform Synagogues in the state, and the Rabbi is young and very "hip"!!
He came here a few years ago from a temple on the upper Westside, and has become very popular, well liked and respected here, as well. There are other options in the area, too.

I can go into more details as far as your needs if we speak.

I have lived and worked in this area my entire life, so I can certainly answer all your questions, and help you decide if this might work for you.
I would be happy to give you an overview of my area........many New Yorkers have happily settled here!
My own son and daughter-in-law currently live on the upper eastside, and will be making a move here to the "burbs" hopefully in the near future - my son's concern is the commute, as well....so, I can relate to your concernss!

Please feel free to reach out to me!
Debbie Rose
Prudential NJ Properties
cell (973) 715-3131
email: Debbie.Rose@PrudentialNewJersey.com
I agree with Hoboken, NJ. The commute is easy to downtown and the path train is not that crowded. You'd only be on the otherside of the water.
Come to Staten Island! You will love the area, it fits all your needs. Ferry to downtown Manhattan or express bus in a half hour! Call me,I would love to help you buy the home of your dreams! I can set you up with a free LISTINGBOOK account today and you will see everything the real estate industry sees. I can also work as a buyer agent if you would like, this means I can work for you and not the seller. I can negotiate for the best price and my fiduciary responsibilities are with you.

William Teague
Exit Realty Solutions
Direct # 917-803-7019
Hi Guys,
I strongly recommend Hoboken, NJ. I lived in hoboken for 3.5 yrs & managed two properties there with over 128 apts each, so I have learned the demographic of the area. It's proximity to the city, life style & night life offers sonething for everyone. The water front is stunning & the ppl are great. There is so much positive energy in Hoboken you forget you live in a metro area. As for the temple/communities there is a large jewish community in Hoboken. You can buy a 3 BR condo with deeded garage for under 800k! Although taxes are higher in Hoboken you pay 450-500/foot compared to 1200/foot in Manhattan. Your commute is fast and easy on the Path train to WTC. I am licensed in NJ & can give you a nice tour of the city. I can also shoot you an email with current listings. You can also search on Trulia but you will not see tax info. Trust me you will fall in love with Hoboken.
Bayside northeast queens highest performing public school district (26) in all of nyc 28 minute ride penn station via lirr great suburban living only minutes from manhattan
Consider Long Island, western Nassau County and Queens are within your desired commute time; for school information see link, http://www.greatschools.org/ for available properties check out http://www.mlsli.com if you need additional assistance feel free to contact me directly. If purchasing with a mortgage, be aware that a mortgage pre-approval letter is required in order to determine your price range and for any offers to be taken seriously.
I would explore Jersey City, Edgewater which have beauitful views, W. New York, and a multitude of other places to choose from in NJ.

Brooklyn also isn't too far off for your downtown commute. What you will want to do is figure out what sort of lifestyle you are looking for. New York and New Jersey have a very different feel from each other. So I would start by weeding out which state you prefer to live in; then focus on areas that are a 45 minute commute into town for that chosen state.
Most certainly look in areas in Brooklyn for sure (*Williamsburg, Downtown Brooklyn, Park Slope, Forte Greene, etc), Queens(long Island City), and even part of the Upper East Side. Please do not hesitate to reach out, I am more than willing to send you over a detailed list that would give you greater specifics. Good luck!

Brittany C. Gooden
SVP of Commercial Leasing & Sales
WellMax Realty
646.405.6405
303 5th Ave, suite 1701
New York, NY 10016
Brittany@wellmaxrealty.com
Brittanycg@gmail.com