Rohde, Home Buyer in Austin, TX

My wife and I have recently relocated to Austin from LA and would like to buy a home here...

Asked by Rohde, Austin, TX Tue Mar 17, 2009

We have good income (170K last year) and so so credit (660 or so). I am an interior designer, so I can be kind of picky when it comes to real estate. I'd prefer something that has good bones and needs some cosmetic remodelling or even a Mid Century or more modern style. We also have 2 small children so schools are important. We're first time buyers, so any suggestions about price range or neighborhoods would be great. We also aren't sure how much we'd need for a down payment in this market. We'd really like to find something a little unusual and stay away from the planned Circle C type "cookie cutter"developments. Love Agave, but hear the schools are terrible! Any help, advice or specific listings would be appreciated!

Answers

11
Hi there, I see you are wanting to buy a home in Austin. I own a Texas based mortgage company with the home office being in Austin. If you are also looking to be financed visit my Austin site at http://www.austinhouse.net and let me know if i can be of any assistance to you.
Wish you luck in finding a great home.
I have a for sale by owner house.It is 2480 sq. ft. formal living and dinning room. Family room and game room, 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms. The back yard has access to the green belt in the back and a nice back yard for entertainment. we are in legend Oaks, our house doesn't have HOA which make our houses have a lot of character. It may look like the cookie cutter house but the interior makes them different. We had basically only remodeled the kitchen so you can add your touch to the bathrooms and bedrooms and floors.
Our House belongs to Mills Elementary which has become one of the desirable school to attend in Austin.
Call me Carlos Gonzalez 512-288-6770.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 22, 2013
Great schools in Lago Vista and great lake living lifestyles. This area has more value for the buck than most because the locals think it is still far away. It is getting closer every day! Take a look at this mid century ranch home at http://www.7101Deepwood.com
BobCrain.com Broker
Web Reference: http://www.7101Deepwood.com
Hi Rohde, Congratulations on your move to Austin!

Have you tried the Lost Creek area (Eanes ISD) convenient to 360/MOPAC/2244? I has a lot of the qualities that you are looking for above. I would be glad to send you some examples and make appointments to see some things at your convenience. Please feel free to contact me o my mobile: 512-922-4922 or email robertkenney@turnquistpartners.com

regards
bob kenney, Realtor
Rohde,

Now is the best time to buy a home! When property prices decline, opportunities to capitalize present themselves. Today is a buyer’s market!!!!

I would recommend that you review listings in the 78726 area. This is a prime location with great neighborhoods, easy freeway access, shopping and the School District are either Round Rock ISD or Leander ISD. This site alone has many homes in the 78726 area to look at and compare to homes listed in 78749.

Did you know that it will cost you Zero Dollars to obtain Buyer’s Representation? The Buyer Representation fee is normally incurred by the Seller as part of the closing cost to list their property for sale. So with being said, I recommend you obtain a REALTOR® to help in your home search. I would be available to work with you during the entire real estate buying process.

Please take a look at my website listed below and call me directly when you’re ready to get started. I look forward to possibly working with you.

I hope to hear from you soon------------thanks Dixie
What a great time to buy! Great rates(historical low) and great prices. I would drive the areas(communities) that you all desire and then interview two or three Realtors in the area of interest. Make sure you choose a Realtor that is very comfortable with using technology. There is so much for us to provide to clients that are only available online. You will be best served by having a detailed anlaysis and info on a particular area to make a good educated decision. Ask the Realtor that you choose for three names of trusted Lenders that they use in the area. Speak with them over the phone to narrow down who you will get your loan with. Do not let the Lender's pull your credit(don't provide social securtiy number), until you have decided to use a particular Lender. Once the Lender is chosen, I recommend that you have them pull your credit and provide info, so you can see where you stand in terms of being able to qualify for a loan. I HIGHLY recommend that you provide a few items to the Lender: what amount you can put in cash into the home purchase and what can you AFFORD for a payment on a monthly basis. The Lender can tell you what purchase price that you need to tell your Realtor that you need to stay under. Don't be "House Poor." Stay within your means, you will be much happier! Hope you have a great experience and find a good home. Best Regards.
Dear Rohde,
Have you made the leap to home ownership or are you still looking? If your still looking at schools trying to decide please check out http://www.SchoolMatters.com They rate the schools and show you teacher to student ratios and class sizes etc. Please give me a call if I can help further!
Cheers,
Betina Foreman
I would highly recommend using http://www.Greatschools.net to check out information on school ranking, area ranking and teachers.

After a few conversations with Realtors and flights out here, you will always get to know the right areas that fit your needs. I'd always interview areas first before I'd interview houses. If your looking for midcentury modern you can do a lot of narrowing down by just the years built or looking at pictures.

A good Realtor will be able to help you with your concerns and needs.

Jared West
Broker/Owner
Team West Real Estate
512-296-0669
Web Reference: http://www.TeamWestRE.com
Dear Rohde,
I just wanted to check in and see how things are going with your home search. Are you still looking or are you ready for some help? Were you able to determine which schools you like? That would be an easy way to determine what neighborhood you want to live in. Remember you can change the house, you can't change the neighborhood or the schools. I wish you the very best!
Betina
With a 660 getting a loan should not be a problem, but as Betina noted my first suggestion would be to contact a lender that will tell you like it is not how you would like to hear it. If you do not have a lender or would like to contact one, I have a few clients have used in the past with good results.

Once you know where you are financially we will be more than happy to assist. However, you need to be prepared, as depending on the result of your qualifying, that mid century/eclectic home may not be in your budget. Again you need to work with an agent/broker who will tell you like it is vs what you would like to hear.

In either case, although it nice to work with people who tell you what you want to hear, this is where a number of home buyers and sellers go wrong and get into problems or issues.
Dear Rohde,
You may do well in 78704 or 78746 or 78703 if your looking for a mid century modern home. There are not too many in Austin and these zips have the most. There are pockets of newer development in town that are similar to Agave. I would be happy to put together a search for you with homes of this style.

I would suggest that you go ahead and contact your lender to see what you will qualify for, that is really the first step. I would contact your current bank and see what they have to offer, or if you like I can give you a list of lenders that I like.

You may also search homes from my website and sort them by school district.

Please let me know how I can help you to make the move! Welcome to Austin!

Betina Foreman, Realtor
1801 S. MOPAC, Suite 100
Austin, TX 78746
512-771-6318