Home Buying in Durham>Question Details

Moe, Home Buyer in Raleigh, NC

My wife and I are thinking about buying a home in Durham. All you hear in the news about Durham is crime.

Asked by Moe, Raleigh, NC Thu May 15, 2008

What parts of Durham are not safe?

Answers

14
Hi Moe
I live in Durham and I am a Realtor, and I would not hesitate to buy another home here. It is a fantastic city with lots to do and small town charm, like any city it has areas that has crime and or drugs. Unfortunately sometimes only the bad things get highlighted.
Web Reference: http://www.colvinm.hpw.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 16, 2008
You know jack about Durham, "Old North Durham" is a historic neighborhood that is getting better every day in the downtown area this is what people are considering "north durham" It is next to Gray, Corporation, Gurley,etc that is generally a low income area.
Northgate park area nice neighborhood, most everything between Roxboro and Duke is fine, East of Roxboro (Dearborn area)... No..That neighborhood is getting worse.
Cole Mill Rd, Carver west is sweet. West Club towards Hillandale (Maryland, Oval dr area etc..) There is even a sweet qiuet neighborhood between Hillandale golf course and I85, there is a park that backs up to Sprunt close by also.
Crime stats can be found from the police department or city county websites. There are tons of great neighborhhods in Durham and every city has economically diverse neighborhoods that sit next to each other. I myself am moving down to the "revitilization" area because there is a fantastic opportunity to be a part of changing the downtown area.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 9, 2008
There are so many nice neighborhoods in Durham. I would recommend that you look at school districts and their ratings for good resale/investment. Depending on your age, you might want to be closer in to town so you can walk/bike to amenities. Downtown is starting to "pop" with lots of arts and creative ventures. Watt/Oval Park Neighborhood, which is close to campus is popular. North Durham is good if you want more of a "country" feel, but creates greater dependence on transport. Good luck! We love Durham.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 21, 2008
Hi Moe,
Unfortunately sometimes it seems like all the media want to publish is bad news, I agree with Lizete call the Durham Police @ 919-560-4427. I live in Durham and I love it. If you provide some of your criteria I would be happy to help you find a home.
Michael
Web Reference: http://www.colvinm@hpw.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 15, 2008
I am that rare creature known as a "Durhamite" I have lived and worked in Durham My whole life and I think it is a wonderful city. There are revitalization projects taking place all over and there is an excitement in the city. Durham has such a rich history. I would encourage you to investigate neighborhoods no matter where you were moving, Take some time to experience Durham.and think about the ammenities that are important to you. I would be happy to set up a tour for you, If you are interested let me know.
As a REALTOR, I cannot comment on crime as it relates to a specific area, and you've received several suggestions of where to get reliable statistics. What I'd like to add is that I live in and love Durham. Durham is repeatedly listed among the best cities to live in the country, a great place to start a business, etc. You can visit my blog site to see several postings of the great things that are going on in the city at: http://www.activerain/dgrasty.com. Also, the Durham Visitors Bureau has a fantastic site that highlights some very positive things about Durham: http://www.wheregreatthingshappen.com/share/

I hope you'll consider Durham, learn the facts for yourself rather than blindly believing the negative hype, and whatever you choose -- I hope you'll be happy in your new home!

If you'd like to discuss real estate in Durham further, please feel free to contact me:
dgrasty@nc.rr.com.
I agree, Durham is bashed far too much. There are great neighborhoods in "historic" north Durham as well as true North Durham. Trinity St has seen some new blood come in and rehab those huge fantastic homes, Edwards is being worked on atm, Lynch St. all fantastic streets, East Knox, Glendale and everything to Washington, Trinity park and walltown. Club from Northgate Park to Ruffin, Dollar and Watts, Buchanan from Chapel Hill to Guess, Wall town, West Club and anything north of oval dr where they are redoing the park, ti Hillandale, Carver St North of it and West of Croasdale pkwy.

Places I am not fond of, Wellons Village area, Dearborn Dr area, Bingham area, anything near WalMart on N Roxboro and Fay and Juniper area.
OK I live in North Durham, and it is a very safe area. North Durham has many beautiful safe areas like Eno Trace, Vantage Pointe, Stephen's Woods, Latta Woods, and Treyburn. Philip has no clue what he is talking about. It is such a shame that Durham is constantly being bashed!
Sounds like you're a bit biased yourself. First off, you're confusing Durham city limits with Durham County. Cole Mill rd is probably sweet, if you feel like driving 20 minutes just to get back to civilization. But Northgate? Are you kidding me? There's tons of drug dealers, prostitutes, and overall bad things going on with anything associated with Northgate.

"Historic" typically means "used to be nice but is now overrun with poor people that commit crimes". Go ahead and be a part of the "revitalization" area. Like I said, it can be nice during the day, but we're talking about the same place where gangs are having shootouts on the courthouse steps. Have fun with that.
I am not a realtor so I can answer this question. Obviously you should do your own research but I can tell you some general "facts".

One, northern Durham is not safe. You're either in the ghetto or right next to the ghetto. Don't listen to anyone talking about "revitalization". The revitalization areas appear safe during the day but you can bet they are not safe at night. The only possible exception is the Hillandale area. Someone mentioned Watts which is also a decent place, but even that is pushing over into a "bad" part of town.

When I was looking for a home in Chapel Hill but couldn't find anything, I refused to even consider Durham. Raleigh was out of the question because of my commute to Chapel Hill. My realtor finally convinced me to look into SW Durham. This is the area in the 27713 zip and is right near Southpoint Mall. I found some great neighborhoods and moved right in. My house has convenient access to I-40, I-540, and is right on the Durham/RTP border.

I will be listing my house in the near future if you are interested.
All you hear about NYC is crime too but it is also a great place to live, bad news sells....

Anywhere there are large federal housing left like Oxford Commons are probably a good bet, Off Dearborn Dr, Thelma etc there seems to be more crime creeping in. East Durham also has been rough in the past but is starting to be cleaned up, they have torn down many homes on Angier downtown and the prostitutes have been moved out. but Ashe, Benjamin, Bingham part of Angier is still rough. West side near Rock St has a crappy neighborhood. Crime is everywhere and the best thing to do is find a home you like and be proactive.
Moe,
Trulia actually has crime stats also. If you go to the tab at the top Stats & Trends and then find the area you are interested in click on the stats you can find crime stats for that area. If you know a specfic zip code you are interested in try zipskinny.com also.

Hope this helps
Dear Moe,
REALTORS can not make statements regarding crime and you should get the facts regarding a neighborhood before you make any decisions. I recommend using the Durham police department crime mapper: http://www.ci.durham.nc.us/gis_apps/crimedata/dsp_entryform.cfm. This will allow you to search crime in a radius from the address you are considering purchasing. In addition to evaluating crime, you should make sure you are buying in an area that has good resale. Make the most of your real estate investment; use a buyer's agent who knows the Durham market to help you make a sound decision. Please contact me if I can help you, especially if you are considering SW Durham. I have a good bit of experience there.
Hi Moe,

I recommend you call the Durham police department at (919) 560-4427.

Lizete
Web Reference: http://www.LizeteSantos.com