Home Buying in Bodega Bay>Question Details

Jake, Home Buyer in Morrison, CO

My wife and I are retired and living at high altitude in Colorado. We are considering the areas of Bodega

Asked by Jake, Morrison, CO Sat Jul 5, 2008

Bay to get out of the snow, as a retirement area and can afford a $1M home. What is it like living in that area year around, regarding weather? Also is there much of a crime rate in that area?

Answers

9
Hi Jake,
Bodega Bay like anywhere else has its positives & negatives. I'd like to help you find out more about the area before you consider moving this way. Give me a call, or shoot me an email.
Scott Adams
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 19, 2008
Hi Jake,
Bodega Bay is a great place to live. I was born and raised here. We are a very small, close knit community. Everyone knows their neighbors and we look out for each other. Because of this the crime rate is very low. As far as weather goes, we tend to get a lot of northwest wind during the spring time and a lot of fog during the summer months. However the fall offers up some great weather with days in the 60's and 70's with clear blue Sky's. Winter temperatures tend to be mild, high 40's to low 50's.
We have several homes for sale in your price range in the area. Feel free to contact me with any other questions you have about the area.
Cathy
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 9, 2008
Hi Jake,
You have gotten a lot of good info from Lori and others which I won't duplicate. If you love to fish or boat or play golf, Bodega Bay has a lot to offer. I often run over there for dinner or a Sunday drive from the west Sonoma county countryside. Having lived in the fog belt when I lived in the city of San Francisco, I personally prefer living in an area with less fog and more sunshine. All of Sonoma county has a much milder climate than what you are accustomed to but the closer you are to the ocean and our spectacular coast, the less sunshine and more breeze you will have in the summertimes. On really warm days I will head out to Bodega to ride the horses there where it is cool. There are many areas within very close proximity to Bodega Bay in your price range, and you can choose your climate--absent the cold winters! Good luck in your search and let me know if I can be of assistance. I work with many out of the area buyers.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 5, 2008
Hi Jake,

Bodega Bay is a quaint, charming town filled with a close knit community of full time residents. It is a popular destination for travelers and visitors to our area as many are drawn to the spectacular beaches and the rugged coastline. The weather is fairly mild all year long - but our Sonoma County winters will bring some rain and a few good storms along the coast....nothing like what you are used to in Colorado.
There are some wonderful homes in the area and for $1M you will be able to find a very nice home even one on the golf course with some amazing views of the ocean from every window. Crime is fairly minimal in this sleepy little community but you can call the local sheriff for stats. You are only a few miles from some of the larger local communities such as Sebastopol, Santa Rosa, Petaluma, and San Francisco is but an hour south.
Having moved to the area myself from a cold eastern climate, I can tell you that you will fall in love with Sonoma County as I have.
If you would like further information about the area and the homes currently available in our market, please give me a call at 707-888-5115.
Regards, Lori Godwin, Realtor
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 5, 2008
Jake,
Bodega Bay is wonderfull. There are many types of properties there and NO SNOW. The weather will be moderate all year long. The proximity to the Pacific keeps us between the extremes of 30 and 90. Those are the real far end extremes. Most of the time it's low 60 to 80 degrees. The closer you are to the ocean the more fog you will have in the summer months. If you are one ridge inland you will have more sunshine. Not a lot of crime but check with the Sonoma County Sherriffs office to know more.
Great new resturants have opened in the past couple of years and with the energy crisis and people in SF and Berkeley moving towards local food sources you will have access to some of the best natural beef, chesses and farm fresh produce of anywhere in America.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 5, 2008
Jed Lane, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA
Jake,

Bodega Bay is a very small community on the Sonoma Coast. I've traveled there many times when I lived in SF, and it was always spectacular. You do have to deal with the fog and rain, but you can get info on that from many weather related sites. Clearly, your at sea level so it's much different in this type of location when the cold/wet weather moves in, you feel it in your bones so to say.

But the beaches, sunsets, artsy environment and access to the wine country are very strong pulls. Far enough from the city to not have most of the city issues, yet still accessible if you want to make a day trip to San Rafael or SF. Population is only about 1,000 people in the Bay itself.

Jeffrey
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 5, 2008
Hi Jake, The Bodega Bay area is stunningly beautiful. The nature & wildlife are wonderful to live in. It is green most of the year. We do have rain December -February but also have many sunny days during that time. We do also have some foggy days, maybe 20% of the time. Temperatures average 50 during the winter & 65 during spring & summer. There is almost no crime in the area. We have a very efficient Fire/Emergency unit in the area. Shopping & Medical facilities are approx. 20-30 minutes away. I strongly suggest you make a visit here. I will be delighted to give you a Tour of the area and also show you some Ocean View Homes in the area. Thank you, Deborah-707-875-9644 or 504-236-1119.