Home Buying in San Diego>Question Details

Barry, Home Buyer in New York, NY

My wife and I are relocating from New York City to San Diego and would like to get advice on the best buying

Asked by Barry, New York, NY Mon May 12, 2008

opportunities for 3 or 4 bedrooms in the $500k to $800k range. What would be the best neighborhood or town for a young couple to enjoy? Thanks.

Answers

25
Barry,
Here is a great link from the San Diego Daily Transcript that will give you information about locales in San Diego County. http://www.sddt.com/Community/
You can find the median & average list/sale prices, number of listings, number sold, months of inventory, & days on market, for every zip code in San Diego County at http://sandicor.com/statistics/stats2008.html
The data is broken down by month, by year to date and by type of property. It should be a great help in finding a suitable area to relocate too. On the front page of my website shown below, you can research any neighborhood for schools, demographics, crime,etc. Let me know if you need a referral for a Realtor, lender, home inspector, appraiser etc.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 13, 2008
Hi Barry,

Look into Oceanside and Carlsbad, you might also consider Encinitas which has a really young vibe. Cardiff is supercute. When you start looking in Oceanside, you get the best prices, the further south you go the more expensive it gets. Every town has its charm.

If you plan family, you should look into school districts as well, since they vary. You can find information on my website. When are you looking into moving?

I'm happy to assist you in your homebuying decision.

Oliver
Web Reference: http://www.oliverindra.com
Barry, Have you found that home since May, 2008. I would hate to think this self-promotion is all going to watse.......
Hi Barry,
Congrats on your relocation plans to San Diego!

I don't know if you have been to San Diego before, but like Maria said earlier, it is broken down into many smaller towns and neighborhoods. Depending on what it is that you're looking for, you're sure to find it somewhere in the area.
There are a few key things we should keep in mind when searching for your new home, for example:

- What ammenities and features of your current neighborhood do you like, or would want different in your new neighborhood?
- What are your favorite activities, hobbies, etc. both individually as well as a couple?
- Do you prefer new neighborhoods or the more established?

If you'd like to talk in more detail, I'd be happy to do so at your convenience. I feel that knowing exactly what you're looking for in your new home should be the first step before looking at listings if there is no point of reference for us to begin with.

I look forward to hearing from you, and am wishing you and your wife all the best in your move to beautiful San Diego.

John E. Price III
Realtor, Prudential Dunn
Phone: 619.884.8443
E-mail: john@my92103.com
Web Site: http://www.my92103.com
Bary,

Good question! The answer is subject to what you like. I would show you many areas of San Diego and have you tell me which ones you like the best. I would also show you what type of home ... size, yard and so on you can get for your money in those neighborhoods. It's like asking someone what flavor icecream they like .. it's subject to what the icecream eater likes best. Good Luck and let meknow if I can help. My husband is from N.Y. and he is a Real Estate Agent and my partner.

Dawn Lewis
http://www.dawnsellssandiego.com/
Barry ... If you are moving to San Diego from NY, perhaps you want something close to the bluer water. We recommend you consider Del Mar, La Jolla, Carmel Valley, Carlsbad, Solana Beach, and other communites close to the ocean. Best wishes. Call us if you like.

Harrison K. Long, Explore Group Properties, Coldwell Banker Previews.

For your own best search check out
how long is piece of striing

LOL

Barry, I would be happy to spend some time speaking with you on the different areas. There are too many options to give you a good answer here.

I have a free search website that you control the search and get all the information available on a property including address, maps, area info, pictures. It allows you to save properties that may be of interest and a lot more

It is completely free and no obligation to use me as your agent (although I would prefer that :) )

Contact me directly and I'll get you set up

Jay Gedanken
Broker Associate
PineappleHut Realty
888-505-8267
jay@pineapplehut.com
From a non-real estate agent. I live in PQ (Rancho Penasquitos) and have lived in San Diego my whole life in the following areas: La Mesa, El Cajon, La Jolla, University City, Mira Mesa and now Ranch Penasquitos. University City is a nice area good schools some parts older and some new (nice area but a little pricey), La Jolla is deffinately nice and great schools including UCSD where I went to college, but very expensive and a little hassle to getting onto the freeway. Vista I have not lived in schools are so so, but some parts are OK and other a little scarey. Carlsbad is deffinately a nice area great schools, my family has a rental condo in La Costa and that area is one they are considering retireing in. PQ is a great area for kids and excellent schools, but probably a little far from Vista (25 to 50 mintues depending on traffic). Del Mar is very nice, great schools, but a little pricey. If money was not a object my first choices to live would be Rancho Santafe (Very very expensive 2-10 millon for most homes), Del Mar, La Jolla, Carmel Valley, Carlsbad, PQ, 4S Ranch, and RB.

By the way 4S Ranch is a very nice new area near RB and PQ lots of short sales so some really great deals can be found there. The only drawback is most places have mello-roos (extra taxes) of around $300 to $400 per month, but this area would be almost as far from Vista as PQ. My advise is to rent a place for 6 to 12 months before buying and decide which areas you like the best and find a short sale, foreclosure, or motivated seller needing to move quickly. If you are patient I am confident you can find a great deal on a house.
As one New Yorker to another, come and take a look at the variety San Diego has to offer. From the beach communities North and South to inland areas. Each place has its own appeal. As with other clients with I have helped to relocate is let me show you around the county and experience each area. I have a little write up on each of the San Diego communities. If you are interested, let me know and I will send it to you, along with some maps and relocation information. Good luck with your move....Maria Weiss 858-248-0863
Web Reference: http://www.mariaweiss.com
Hi Barry,

We just started a company to help out-of-towners like yourself. The name of the company is Neighborhood Photo, Inc. Our website is noted below. I suggest you look at Scripps Ranch and Del Mar.

All the best!

Dan
Barry,

I know your topic is on buying, but I wanted to know more about your wife's job search as a corporate trainer. Has she worked for a corporate wellness/health promotion/wellness center out there in NYC? I ask because I know a company in Carlsbad that is just opening and searching for wellness specialists and personal trainers. This may be of interest to both of you when it comes to income and living situation. Hit me up with more info on what your wife is looking for in a job. My wife and I will be happy to help you, from one young couple to the next :-)
Just continue to do your research! There are many great deals out there and certainly more to come. Study the market, come for a visit and get a feel for the vibe of the communities you are interested in. Know your loan situation going in, have a plan and stick to it. Check out http://www.homepricecheck.com for free real time home valuations so you can get an idea on pricing in different areas. I have great market research from Altos Research I'd be happy to send you. It covers every zip code in San Diego County and offers a comprehensive look at the market. Just let me know and I can e-mail it.
Web Reference: http://realestate.com
Your timing is great as your purchasing power in San Diego has never been stronger. A young couple would enjoy, Little Italy or downtown condos. Sound like familiar neighborhoos? theya re similar to NYC as Little Italy is a culinary delight and Downtown, well, taht is downtown...close to restaurants, shopping, clubs...the whoel nine yards. if you wish to go somewhere close to the city but far from the maddening crowd...Mission Valley is great. Central and close to all. Other choices include costal communities such as La Jolla, Pacific Beach. The choices are enless here. I myself moved form NYC 11 years ago and we love it. Where else can you swim in your back yard, surf the coast, ski in the mountains and horse back ride in the desert. San Diego has it all. Good luck.
Hey Barry are you guys selling your home here in New York?
first of all, good call on moving from NYC to San Diego.

since youre working in Vista, check out Carlsbad or Encinitas, if you can - Carlsbad 92011 zip or 92009 zip.

should be plenty of places in your range.

yeah, Poway is nice, great schools and all and Rancho Bernardo is great too. Carmel Valley is beautiful but theyre all inland.

if you want the complete So Cal lifestyle, youve got to be near the beaches.

in your range, Del Mar/Solana Beach is not likely but you can find a nice home in Carlsbad or Encinitas.
the reason I say Carlsbad over Encinitas is, well, you work in Vista. Carlsbads a little closer.
Encinitas is nice but there are lots of hippie-surfer spots, eye sore apartment complexes and run down areas.

GL
You can tell times are rough. Instead of showing homes the realtors are all online scrounging for business. I can't believe some of you have the guts to call KB cookie cutters at 800K a screaming deal! You guys are completely out of touch.

The median household income, reported on May18, 2008 for Carlsbad, is 78K. With easy credit drying up, and the majority of savings wiped out of peoples home equity, where do you think they are going to get the money to buy? At 7-10X annual income, prices are still way out of touch. The pressure, particularly with the overall economic picture, is for further decreases in home values. Carlsbad is a great town. Wait 2 years, and you will get in for 70% of what you can get in for now. Maybe we will be neighbors.
Web Reference: http://www.patrick.net
Hi Barry
Great question. I would have to ask you what do you two enjoy the most? There is alot to see and do in San Diego so depending on what you like. Downtown is filled with alot of action, can purchase a condo in the $550k to $800K range or do you prefer a nice quiet community with near by attractions in a home? Give me a call and would love to answer any of your questions and help you on your way to relocating to San Diego. Cleda Rodriguez 619 972-0094
If your job is in Vista, then I would suggest Poway (then places along the I-15 corridor - such as Carmel Mountain Ranch, Rancho Bernardo, or even Rancho Penasquitos). From UC (University City) there is an extra leg to your commute that I wouldn't want everyday. Yes, there is a reverse flow to commuter traffic.

Professional / personal opinion on investing in a home... When you buy with the mindset of an investment, your first thought needs to be resale. New is better. Invest in the neighborhood and the school system. (Hence my recommendation for Poway.)

Robert T. Boyer, Ph.D.
Real Estate Investor Advisor
America's Finest Real Estate
San Diego's Finest Real Estate
http://www.SanDiegosFinestRealEstate.com
SanDiegosFinestRealEstate.blogspot.com
Phone: (858) 755-2111
Thank you for your assistance! We're excited about the move, but haven't spent significant time in the San Diego area so the info is helpful To clarify, I will be working in Vista and my wife will be cleaning offices in the evening if she's unable to find employment as a CPA or corporate trainer. I've heard the commute from University City isn't TOO bad given it's against the flow of traffic. Is there really a reverse commute, or is traffic bad regardless? In your professional opinion, where are the best places to invest in a home? Have prices retreated more in areas with excess inventory, etc? Thanks again!
Barry,

It depends on what you like to do. Downtown probably has the most activities going on (92101), or you could move a little east of downtown which can be more affordable, such as North Park, South park, Golden hills. I have current client who has moved from Long Island New York and loves downtown San Diego. He likes the downtown area, because unlike New York the city isn't as crowded. On a Saturday morning he feels he has Little Italy to himself. He gets the Urban feel with more room.

Another option is to move to Mission Beach or Pacific Beach. These communities tend to be occupied by a younger crowd, a lot of beach and outside acitivities.

If you want an beach community that has become affordable over the pass two years you could look in the North county Area of San Diego. Cardiff, Del Mar, Encinitas, Carlsbad. These cities have a small town feel with great resturants, beaches, parks, trails, and much more.

Hope I have given something to help with your relocation. If you need any other help, please don't give hesitate to call me (760)815-3866 a realtor in San Diego
San Diego is a great place to live. It offers many distinct neighborhoods. A few key questions need to be answered in order to define what area would suit you.
1) Do you have kids? Are kids a future plan, meaning are schools factoring in?
2) Do you already have a job lined up? If so, what is the max commute time you are willing to consider? If not, what field are you in?San Diego is a car based transportation county so this plays a role.
3)What is your style--artsy, funky, traditional, eclectic..etc
4) Are you outdoor types? Runners, Bikers, Volleyball players?
5) Looking for a resort style type living, or do you want a house with land?
6) Do you like the feel of a thriving downtown, a cheers type quaint atmosphere or somewhere in between?
7) New or old...do you like new construction houses or older houses with character-fo rexample a 1930's spanish or 1950's ranch?
So many questions need to be answered in order to suggest an area that you would enjoy. I am a San Diego Native--if I can help you in anyway feel free to contact me:
Alison Bell
619-384-6997 or http://www.abellre.com
Web Reference: http://www.abellre.com
HI Barry: A long time ago, I moved to CA from NYC, never looked back! San Diego, as the others have pointed out, has great neighborhoods. I would also suggest areas such as Kensington and North Park. Without knowing what interests you have, where your communte would be, it is more difficult to suggest areas. If being near the beach is important to you I can fill you in all the different communities. Also, an important factor would be whether you would want a single family detached home or a townhouse/condo. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have...P.S. I know some good delis too! Good luck, Maria 858-248-0863
There are so many wonderful towns in San Diego, I suggest you look at neighborhoods closer to your work so that you can spend less time in the car and more time by the beach! Downtown is really nice, but if you're looking in north county, in that price range, you will have a lot of choices in the coastal towns of Encinitas and Carlsbad. Carmel Valley is also nice, more inland, but great schools if you need that. Check out the following website and search for properties to see some awesome homes. Welcome to Paradise San Diego!
Barry,

If you like living in the city, Downtown San Diego may be a great option for you. Not as large or busy as New York City but offers all of the benefits of city living. Minutes to the beach, and close to the best of everyting that San Diego has to offer. There are a number of homes downtown that appear to meet your requirements. If you are looking for something less cosmopolitan, there are many areas for young couples to enjoy. You might also like South Park, North Park or Hillcrest. Close to restaurants, shopping, parks, and recreation. You can search for homes on the San Diego Multiple Listing service via my website at the link below. No sign up or sign in required.
If you have no kids at present, then our downtown area (92101) might be of interest to you - it has the zoo, Balboa park, our gaslamp district, Little Italy, the harbor, etc. However, there are only 13 properties currently under $800K. 2 are detached and 11 are condos.

If you have school aged children, I might suggest Del Mar (92014) [3 condos; 1 detached] or Carmel Valley (92130) [49 properties]. And after that, Poway (92064) [116 properties]