Atlanta Buyer, Home Buyer in Atlanta, GA

My wife and I are planning to buy a Single Family home in the Danbury Parc community being built by Centex

Asked by Atlanta Buyer, Atlanta, GA Fri Jan 25, 2008

The community is 2 miles south of perimeter mall. Inside the perimeter. Is that a good location and will the price hold/reduce/increase for the next 5 years. I know its anybody's guess. But I'd like to get some guesses by some knowledgeable people.

Answers

13
This is a GREAT location. Personally, I feel that the builder has under built for the area when new build homes nearby have commanded 6-900K. That being said, I think its a great opportunity. The pricing for the single family homes is very competitive, I dont see them dropping too much in the near future but that is anyones guess. If you are looking at the townhomes in the s/d then you might also want to look across the street (ivey townhomes??), those are well built and priced well.
If you want to spend a little more drive up the street into Sexton Woods, there are some tear down/new builds up for sale in the 6's and 7's, much larger lots and higher quality.
You cannot beat the area/school/shopping etc. Definitely a gem that is quickly being discovered.
This is a good area thats getting better still and the price is great for ITP. It also has the advantage of walking distance to the parks, shops and resturants. Tear downs close by can go over a million and up easily. I am another person surprised more expensive homes were not built on the site. I am not imprssed by the cheepo Centex designs etc...........

Sexton woods behind the development is smaller older homes with better yards that go for about $275 plus and at that price you will be having to fix a lot of things. Having said that if you do remodel you will end up with a very nice house.

This area is uncorporated Dekalb so lower taxes.

Also make sure you buy in Montgomery elementary school district and people will pay a premium for that school, I am not sure if all the Centex development and Sexton woods fall into the area.

If you comute to downtown you should just walk or drive across PT Industrial and get on the Marta train. Having said that I often drive to Buckhead at 6am and it takes about 12 minutes. Downtown should be easy if you take Druid Hills to i85. You don't need to anywhere near the i285 thats in the wrong direction!

I have lived in the area 6 years and not seen any crime. I walk home sometimes from the local resturants at 11 or 12 no problem.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 1, 2010
Yugun,

I agree with Jo. This is a good area and it is important to have buyer representation. A good buyer's representative that is very familiar with new construction can get you the best deal. Understanding the New Home market is important in knowing what is obtainable during negotiations. We have worked with many clients in the Atlanta area on negotiating the best deal for New Homes. Please visit our website for testimonials from some of our clients.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 25, 2008
Please tell me the last post is a joke? Anyone who has travelled and lived in other cities knows that Atlanta is sorely lacking in culture of any kind for a city with its population.
For nature lovers its also terrible due to a distinct lack of parks, totaly reliance on cars OTP and some of the worse polution in the US.
As for architecture and design Atlanta is also a total bust. Case in point is the Centex homes in this thread which are bland and very poorly designed and look the same as every tract home OTP. Thats why they are cheap for the area and sq ft. Although these homes have a great location it is a shame a decent builder didn't build a more quality product with better design.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 26, 2010
Atlanta is a front-runner in cultural development, with many museums and theaters calling it home, as well as many historic sites chronicling Atlanta's contributions to U.S. history.

People seeking Atlanta homes for sale have a diverse amount of architecture to choose from, from modern high-rises to buildings that date back to the Civil War. Atlanta condos are a hot commodity with the urban business crowd. Let us help you find a peach of a home in The Big Peach.

For nature lovers, Atlanta is definitely the place to be. The world's largest aquarium resides here, containing more than 100,000 sea creatures for public viewing. The Atlanta Botanical Garden is 30 acres of plant collections from around the world. The Garden also features the Dorothy Chapman Fuqua Conservatory, which, in addition to its exhibits of tropical and desert plants, contains birds, turtles and poison dart frogs. The Atlanta Zoo offers even more exhibits of exotic species; notable exibits include three giant pandas

<a href="http://www.tinafountain.com/">Atlanta Real Estate</a>
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 24, 2010
Anyone buying a home from a builder (or a bank that foreclosed on a builder) should be represented by their own real estate agent. The listing agent represents the seller and the seller only. They are not there to represent your best interests. There legal responsibilty to to represent the seller!

Buyers should also have representation and that is achieved through BUYER AGENCEY. You can have a Buyer agent represent you and your Best Interests in the real estate transaction. Call me for details.

Entering a real estate transaction with a builder or lender without a Buyer Agent is asking for trouble in this market.
We viewed this propery while searching for a home in the Dunwoody/Sandy Spings area. Its definately a good location. I tried a test drive of the commute from downtown to this area and it was crazy at even 6 ish.
I am guessing its equally crazy in the AM commute beause of the school's on Ashford dunwoody.

The ashford dunwoody rd is backed up from the 285 exit all the way up to blakburn park. I would consider this while weighing by high' and low's for this area.

Does anyone who live around this area have any alternatives for this route ?
Area is unbeatable! I think that re sales are your best bet right now for investment reasons. You get alot more space in a home and in a lot. Anything under $500 in this 30319 area is a steal. In a couple of years the value could increase $150,000 and beyond. Better to buy on the low end of a neighborhood as well. Sexton Woods hasn't seen the increase in home sale prices that other areas have near by. Buying in Danbury Parc would put you at the high end in that area. Also, check the crime rates there.. There are safer spots in 30319..Look into Cambridge Park, Derby Hills, etc..

I am a life-long resident in this area (grew up in neighborhood behind Oglethorpe University and have owned several homes within a mile or two of that area since) I can vouch that it is a fantastic part of town!!!
Convenient to anything you may need, great schools (public and private), parks, shopping, restaurants,... can't go wrong.

I'm familiar with Danbury Parc development.
I'm not big on self-promotion, but,... may I offer a more settled neighborhood alternative that is in this same area? A great house in a settled, quiet but active family-friendly neighborhood?

http://www.trulia.com/property/photos/1066589906-4840-Ascot-…

Good Luck in your decision making process wherever you decide!
Now is a great time to be EXTREMELY CAREFUL when buying a home in a development still under construction. Without further detail of your plans and needs, I can't advise one way or the other... One thing I would also advise, though, since Danbury Parc has both townhomes and single family dwellings, is that, if you're looking at a townhome, that's yet another reason to take it slow and exercise extreme care!

Make certain that you know what you're doing, for this is a neighborhood full of "beware" signs! I'm definitely not advising away from this place; anywhere has it's unique risks. The bottom line is that you will, without question, want representation these days and triply so in your case. Let me know if I can be of assistance: bryan.furse@metrobrokers.com
Hello -
Me and my wife are both working proffesionals planning to buy a home by the end of this year.

I came to know about Danbury parc while we were driving around that area and loved the location and the surroundings (parks, schools ,shopping etc) , so did my research around it.
The SF Homes are priced in the high 300's to low 400's, with the lowest floor plan starting at 388k . I feel like this a lot of $'s for the size of the lot and considering how cramped the entire community will be after these homes and the other TH's are completed .

Can the original poster let us know what kind of a negotiation you had wtih Centex ( if any) or what the progress has been if you are still planning to by the Danbury parc home. I will be calling Centex in a couple of months regading this home but wanted to see if you had any tips for that might help !!

Thanks in Advance and good luck !!!
I know the neighborhood well. Be careful with Centex (although Danbury is priced well right now). They had another neighborhood with the same product at Kedron Falls. They started off selling the units in the high 200's and low 300's. I just represented a buyer at $215K! Those owners are furious!

If you can outlast the builder, then you'll likely do fine.

I agree with the others, it costs you NOTHING to have a buyer's agent, so why not hire one (me).

Web Reference: http://www.jrjarvis.com
Joshua Jarvis, Real Estate Pro in Duluth, GA
This new subdivision has 56bhomes built in a very desirable location of Atlanta. Nestled between the Perimeter Mall area and Brookhaven, the schools are top notch, the access to transportation is easy and shopping options are many and varied. The current and future development plans in Brookhaven will point to increased values in the coming years. This is a good neighborhood.
Have you made an offer on the home, or are you working with an agent? It is important for you to have representation, especially in new construction these days. A buyer's agent that is used to working with builders, as I am, knows how to negotiate the best price, upgrades and builder contributions on your behalf. If you are not represented by an agent, give me a call and I will be happy to meet with you.
(404-909-9112)