Jrh3030, Home Buyer in 37129

My wife and I are planning on buying a house in Murfreesboro in the next 3-4 months. We'd like to find an older home that needs light/moderate

Asked by Jrh3030, 37129 Sat Dec 12, 2009

rennovation at a good price. We really like some of the homes in historic district downtown, but those are hard to come by. We'd also be interested in an older brick ranch home. Any suggestions of areas we should look?

Answers

9
Barry Soard’s answer
Hi Jrh3030,
The criteria that you've provided is a little vague. My advice is to get to know a good buyers agent who will help you determine what you want, what you need, and where you want it. A good buyer agent will get to know you and your wife and help you find the right home for you.

You've got plenty of time to shop around so avoid agents who try to sell you on their listings. There are literally thousands of agents who list properties and it is in their best interest to try to sell those to you first. A buyers agent will provide you with all the listings that fit your needs and wants.
Web Reference: http://BarrySoard.com
I have just listed a wonerful all brick ranch on 2.3 acres in Murfreesboro for $144,900, It would light if any rennovations. Please email me at bnelson@realtracs.com and I will email you the virtual tour.

Barbara
JRH3030
This is really the best time of the year to buy, not to mention rates are low and you might get the tax credit. I would suggest looking around the East Clark, to Northfield Blvd off Highland also Scottland Chase off Greenland area. Sometimes there are great 1960's homes that need fixing up with hardwood floors and good brick construction.
Hope this helps,
Shelby Hunton
Bob Parks Realty
http://www.shelbyhunton.com
429-3348
I almost bought a beautiful Victorian fixer on Maney many years ago. I waited for my mother to come see it because it would have been my first home, and I lost it in that short time period waiting for my mother to come from Nashville. I still regret not jumping on that one! You're right, the homes in the historic district are hard to come by, so when you find one - jump if you're ready! You can make offers subject to inspection contingencies. Also, don't settle for a brick ranch if you really want a home in the historic district. Keep your eyes and ears open if the historic home is what you really want. Good luck!
One thing I would do is to get pre-approved for your financing about 45 days prior to house hunting. Most Lenders do not allow a credit report older than 60 days, so rather than get your credit run now I would suggest closer to the time period. It is a new mortgage world out there today. When you say older home, you just need to be aware that it could limit your opportunities of financing.
Feel free to give me a call to discuss your financing needs or requirements.
Nancy Releford
Home Equity Mortgage
615-867-3060
1-866-450-6650 (Toll free)
Currently there are 67 homes for sale in Murfreesboro dating older than 1965. They range from 38K and up. Some are forclosures and short-sales. New listings will become available every week. If your main goal is a (Good deal), then that will dictate the area when that home presents itself.
I am a forclosure specialist and save my clients 10's of thousands of dallars on the purchase of forclosed homes and I'd be happy to do the same for you and your family. During your search, remember the person on the sign in the lawn represents the seller and the seller best interest, thus you should choose a buyers agent to represent your best interest, who will cost you nothing and has the potential to save you a tremendous amount on your purchase. Feel free to give me a call so I can get some additional search criteria.
Steven Richards
EXIT Realty Network (#1 Sales Agent for 2009)
(615) 785-5808
http://www.murfreesboro-exit.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 13, 2009
You have stated that you are interested in an older home, but I would want more information about what you qualify as 'older'. Having grown up in a house built in 1865, that qualified as historic. For buyers today, an older home may be something built in the 1960s to 1970s, which opens up a lot more homes in established neighborhoods that might meet your needs. Homes that need some updating would be light to moderate improvements. You also didn't mention a price range, one of the most important criteria in your search. Houses that are on the market today, likely will not be available in 3-4 months. As your plans evolve, employ the services of a professional real estate agent to serve as a Buyer's Agent and protect your interest in the process.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 12, 2009
There may be a few options for you downtown depending on your desired price point. The homes right off of Main Street are often reasonable deals. You might also consider some of the other older neighborhoods that offer character and can be updated with little to moderate renovation like Bellwood or Riverview. I'm happy to help if you need anything or have questions.
Web Reference: http://ww.JohnCJones.com
Both Downtown Smyrna and Murfreesboro offer a lot of Historic homes. Finding one that has been update in both electrical and plumbing so you do not have the expense. I own a 1916 and a 1926 home so I understand some of the issues you will face. I home inspection is most certain with any home. Have (myself a Remax Agent) or any agent of your choice set up a search with the buying criteria.

John Ehlers
Remax
615-522-1287
jehlers@realtracs.com
Web Reference: http://www.johnehlers.com