Home Buying in Hermosa Beach>Question Details

Dennis Chin, Home Buyer in 10028

My son may be going to Law School @ Loyola in LA. Is Hermosa a good/close area for him (and me) to buy maybe a Condo in this neighborhood?

Asked by Dennis Chin, 10028 Thu Apr 15, 2010

It's fairly close but there are closer areas. Have you visited Playa Vista?
Congrats on your son going to Law School! I would recommend getting him pre-approved if he has not already (or if you are buying it, you get pre-approved) with a local lender as it really should be any potential buyers 1st step. Next, reach out and speak with a couple local Realtors that know the condo market in Hermosa, start a relationship with one and look at several, you should be able to learn a lot by seeing other units as well.

Best of luck.

Buy in Hermosa beach. Its a great investment for life. The air is refreshing, The evenings are cool. When we come home after work its great to take a walk on the sand or the strand. The sky seems more blue and the color of the ocean does something to each of us as it changes shimmering reflecting light. Every time I see it coming home its a big big feeling of amazement. As we walk I like to think of people coming here on Vacation. Then I get to to see it fresh, like the first time, the colors and fun on the beach, volleyball, swings,and lifeguard stations are just lovely beyond words. People really do love to live here

. I see so many good answers by my fellow Realtors and neighbors. But it was asked i 2010. I wonder where he went finally. So there are answers here in 2012. Its pretty funny.
For people looking in Hermosa Beach it would be good to talk to an agent that lives here. Like me!
I moved here in 1986 and my husbands family moved here in 1960. We now have 3 generations living in Hermosa Beach. That alone will tell you something. Its a great place to live and raise a family.
Hi, He can buy mine. I'm not going through a Realtor - not on the MLS, Address is: 1600 Ardmore 1 BD / 1 BA Wrap around unit. Small View from Balcony - 607 sq. ft. Regards, Fred Koch 310-404-9998 334K OBO.
Hermosa Beach! It's a beautiful little beach town, party town, club town but it's NOT close to Loyola Law School.
Not by any measure. My home is much closer and for 12 years we've been renting to doctors , PhD students at UCLA, USC, and nearby language schools. We provide breakfast and dinner and are very well informed about what's up in L.A. I'm an agent and know this area very well. If you're not familiar with Los Angeles, it's better to start with some time to look around. Our guest house would make that possible.
You can reach me at 213.422.7044.
Terre Lownds
Hi Dennis --

Hermosa Beach is a great area.
If your son wants to buy a condo close to Loyola Law School we can help.
For more information please send email to viprealestate11@gmail.com
Loyola Law School is located on the west side of the Harbor Freeway downtown off of Olympic , not at the Loyaloa Marymount college campus in Westchester, and it is about a 45 minute drive there from Hermosa Beach. Hermosa Beach is a great place for a young person to live but it is definetly a hard commute. My husband lived in Manhattan Beach when he was going to grad school at USC downtown and loved it. If he is looking for a quick commute, you might consider buying a loft or new condo downtown. Downtown Los Angeles has really improved over the last several years and has a lot of neat things going on, with Staples Center, LA Live, new restaurants and bars, etc. My son lived downtown for almost 2 years in a new apartment and really liked it. If your son wants to live near the beach, then Hermosa or Redondo Beach could be a good choice. I work the entire South Bay area and am also familiar with some of the new condos downtown.
Hello Dennis,

I believe Loyola Law school is not near the main campus but rather near Downtown. Loyola Marymount is near Hermosa but not the Law School. My husband went to Law School near Loyola Law School at Southwestern Law school while living in Hermosa. It's a tough commute but a good investment. There are other areas to consider depending on your budget. Hermosa can be priceyl Let me know what it is and I'll send you some options.

Monique Carrabba
The Carrabba Group
Keller Williams Hollywood Hills
(323) 899-2900
Hi Dennis,

If you son is thinking of living in Hermosa and commuting to Loyola you are looking at roughly at 35 minute drive give or take traffic. To shave off some time he could move closer and look around Manhattan and El Segundo. Hermosa, Manhattan and El Segundo are all very nice areas that have held their value over the shift in the real estate market. You can buy a one bedroom condo on PCH in Hermosa for just under $400k or a two bedroom for $500k. Manhattan beach is a price pricer and El Segundo is a bit less then Hermosa. Please let me know if you have further questions. I would love to help. Take care.
Web Reference: http://www.rtyndall.com
Hi Dennis,
There are a few neighborhoods I would suggest. Loyally is in Westchester, which is a nice area. There is also Playa Vista (right down the hill) and El Segundo as well. Hermosa is very nice as are most of the beach cities. He should have no trouble finding a Condo in any of those areas.
Best of Luck to you
It's a little bit of a drive, but would have good resale value. You may also want to look in Playa Vista where there are lots of condos and VERY close in LMU.
How close to campus does he want to be and what price range are you considering? If he wants to be near the water, you may want to consider Marina Del Rey, Playa Del Rey, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach and Redondo Beach. If being close to the campus is more important, then you might consider Korea Town, South Pasadena, or other areas in the middle of the city.

Los Angeles is large and diverse. If you don't know the city well, then call or email me and I will help get you oriented to good locations near downtown. You can also search the area using my website.

Best of luck.

Michael Magaw
Web Reference: http://www.NHLBrokers.com
Hermosa Beach may be only ten miles or so from Loyola Law School, but a more important question is, how long does it take to travel that ten miles during heavy traffic? Loyola is quite close to downtown L.A., and you'll need to take one of the most heavily trafficked freeways to get to Hermosa Beach.

Although I don't currently live in Los Angeles, I travel there about once a month and grew up in the area. Minutes of travel is much more important in calculating commuting time than miles of distance. Check this out with some current residents to get a sense of how long that trip will take.
Hermosa Beach is less than 10 miles from the Loyola Campus and is considered on the South Bay's most premiere beach cities. Many Loyola students live in and enjoy all that Hermosa Beach as to offer. Condominium prices vary based on proximity to the shoreline. Please feel free to familiarize yourself with Hermosa by visiting http://www.SellingTheSouthBay.com and accessing the "Community Info" link.