Home Buying in Waterbury>Question Details

Nawion85, Home Buyer in Waterbury, CT

My real estate attorney did not wire the money after closing what can I do?

Asked by Nawion85, Waterbury, CT Tue Jun 12, 2012

I just bought a home and payed cash i got a cashiers check and gave it to the attorney I just got a call from the real estate person saying that they never got any money what can I do

Answers

4
Natalie Mendes’ answer
It's hard to answer your question without more information on the terms of the sales agreement. Normally the realtors' commission is paid by the seller out of the proceeds from the sale. Unless you signed something agreeing to pay a fee to your realtor, this is an issue for the seller's broker, assuming a commission payment was part of the deal. If your agent has a legitmate complaint about payment of his/her commission, this is something the his/her broker needs to handle. There are any number of paths they can take in a matter like this, including filing a complaint with the local board of realtors. There could be extenuating circumstances . . . for example, if this was a short sale the bank has the final say on the commissions paid to the realtors involved in the sale. The attorney certainly has responsibility for ensuring contractually required payments are made at closing. As others have advised, I would start by calling your attorney and getting the facts.
Call him first. If you are not satisfied with the response you get, you could report him to the Department of Consumre Protection and the Bar association. There is probaly a good reason why, talk to him first. If you trusted him enough to represent you, trust him enough to answer you honestly.
The attorney may be waiting for the check to clear. Yes, it was a cashier's check, but I have seen them do it. Call him.
Have you called your attorney?