Pjgeorge217, Home Buyer in Sidney, OH

My purchased house has radon problems. When we bought itthe owners checked NO on this question. SInce then we have found out they knew it had problems

Asked by Pjgeorge217, Sidney, OH Sun Jul 17, 2011

Previous buyer had it inspected and backed out when they were told it had high levels of radon. This information was not disclosed when we bought it, in fact it was checked NO under radon. The realtor that had it listed said she knew nothing about it which is a lie, she was given papers of the inspection. Can we sue for repairs and extra?

Answers

4
Check with a real estate attorney to see what your options are. Will the sellers pay to mitigate the Radon -- the entire amount, or split it with you? Check with the Radon company to find out just exactly what they found and what the cost would be to mitigate. Depending on the house construction, it may be easy, or not. If the sellers will work with you to get this mitigated, it would be a whole lot cheaper (and less contentious) than litigation. Good luck!
Call the brokerage firm who had the listing on the property. If you do not get satisfaction, then call the Board of Realtors. The next step if you do not get satisfactions to to then call the Ohio State Department of Commerce, Division of Real Estate. If you do not get satisfaction, then call a real estate attorney. Good luck.
Humm, As I see it you need to read the law http://www.state.oh./gov/realestate. the answer is in chapter 4735.67 it is free to you.
Many brokers request their agent not recieve a copy of the inspection report so they can not be held liable for what is in the report. I do not agree with this procedure but it is encouraged by some brokers.
When you bought the home did you have a home inspection?
The agent does not fill out the property disclosure as it is not the agents duty to do that under the law however, The actual disclosure law can be read at the same web address. Best to you in resolving this issue. Please however do not open yourself for a law suit for slander by using the phrase "she Lied".
Before you sue go to the brokerage and inform them of the problem often brokers will attempt to settle this out of court or with the seller. good luck to you. Jean
It sounds like the only way you could be in this position is that you bought the house without a Buyer's Agent and without INSPECTIONS!

Why did you do that? Did you save a lot of money?

I am not a lawyer and I will not and can not give you legal advice; but,
You probably bought yourself some trouble.

Good luck and may God bless