Home Buying in Blue Ridge>Question Details

Karo, Home Owner in Blue Ridge, GA

My proposed tax assessment increaSEed 60% this year. Any comments?

Asked by Karo, Blue Ridge, GA Sat Jul 7, 2012

I own a small frame cottage on the Toccoa River in Blue Ridge. Build about 1950, I think. Two small bedrooms and one bath. This is a vacation home, so I'm a nonresident owner and I realize tax assessors take this into consideration vs homes owned by local voters. This 60% increase seems excessive. How are other assessments going for older homes?

Answers

2
Joe Folsom’s answer
Assessments should reflect the value of the property only and (other than they homestead exemption) not be effected by the property being a primary or second home. Have you made improvements to the home? Were there other homes in the area recently built that may improved the value? We would be happy to do a CMA (Comparative Market Analysis) for you to see if the assessment could be a mistake. Just shoot me the address here or by personal email and I will look it up for you.

Joe Folsom
Modern Rustic Homes
Info@ModernRusticHomes.com
You can go to http://www.qpublic.net, select GA, then Fannin County. Enter either your last name as owner or street name and search for your tax record. You will see it shows prior assessment and current preliminary assessment. Then go to parcel map and search the properties in your area to see if similar changes were made and compare your property to your neighbors. If you feel that your higher assessment is not in line with the neighborhood, go to the tax office and file an appeal. Then, as Joe said, have a realtor complete a Comparative Market Analysis to help you establish a value you can discuss with the tax office. You can also research in the same way, the comparables the realtor created to see what changes were made in their assessments. Knowledge is power and when you have facts to discuss rather than just a complaint that the assessment doesn't see fair or corret, you will have a better discussion and a stronger case for your appeal.

Good Luck. If I can help you, do not hesitate to contact me. Realtors do not charge for Market Analysis.

Judy Aselton, Century 21 In The Mountains
Blue Ridge, Ga.
678-463-1129 or 76-632-2041 et.0601
Thanks, Judy. This gives me a plan. I'll contact you soon. Karo
Flag Mon Jul 9, 2012