Home Buying in Amherst>Question Details

Shawninsa, Home Buyer in New York, NY

My partner and I are considering moving to Amherst, Bedford, or Hollis, NH, but we are worried about whether these towns are gay/gay parent friendly?

Asked by Shawninsa, New York, NY Thu Dec 13, 2012

Answers

16
I would need to meet you first. I'm reluctant to give out names and phone numbers of my friends as that would be an invasion of privacy. If you would like to send me your phone number, I would be happy to give you a call and see where we go from there. Please email me this information at susan.thornton@kw.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 15, 2012
As a New Yorker living in Amherst for twenty years, I have never once heard of a problem with that.

Go to the schools your children might attend and talk to the administration and teachers.
They have no ax to grind, and you can get a feel, even if they say nothing.
As a Bedford resident and one who has sold MANY a home in these communities, I know you will find the area quite welcoming. Above all else, New Hampshire truly is the Live Free or Die State. In other words, let others live as they will and they will let you live as you will. Let me be the first to say, Welcome to NH!
I am sure you you will be welcomed in any of these communities as the residents are very educated, effluient and have lived in many different places so they are very open minded. I have lived her for 42 years and have not heard of any gay couples feeling unwelcomed.
When you are ready to come view some properties and get a feel for the areas in question, please don't hesitate to give me a call......603-566-2394.
Keller Williams
NH Magazine 2011 Five Star Award Recipient
Go for Amherst there very open and friendly Bedford is a bit stuffy. Hollis has weird parts, again Amherst is very welcoming to all.
Bedford might be a solidly Republican town, but the school district employs many openly gay folks, including an administrator and school counselors. No problem.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 22, 2012
It really is a hard question to answer, in this day and age I would think that it would be more common than not. I wish I had some insight for you. I suggest researching the areas of choice by topic or maybe even nightlife. My thoughts are all I have to offer and its only my opinion and its still free but the final decision has to be yours.

Jamin M Jones
New Hampshire Home Inspector NH Lic#280
http://www.inspectorjmj.weebly.com

inspectorjmj@gmail.com
Mobile: 978-675-7597
There are certain topics which Realtors are discouraged from broaching:
Race, Religion, Ethnicity and Sex, are four of them.
If we comment positively or negatively; we can be accused of "steering", and this is a bad thing.
You're on your own on this.
am truly not sure on that one. If you need a Realtor, I know many great agents in the area and I'll be glad to recommend some to you if you like.

Just let me know - be happy to help !!

Jamin M Jones
Home Inspector NH Lic#280
http://www.inspectorjmj.weebly.com

inspectorjmj@gmail.com
Mobile: 978-675-7597
Visit a neighborhood several times to get a sense of belonging. Check out area statistics; real estate professionals are prohibited from steering, enticing a buyer to purchase, or not, in specific neighborhoods; so, you should check out demographics on your own to assure your comfort level can be reached.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 15, 2012
Please note answer below should read shawninsa@yahoo.com I hope to hear from people soon as we are hoping to relocate in January!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 14, 2012
Can anyone put me in contacts with LGBT couples living in one of these towns that I might be able to speak with about their experiences before we commit to make this specific part of New Hampshire our new hime? We will be looking for a realtor in the area and someone who could help with that would be tremendously helpful and have the inside track to work with us on the purchase of a luxury home in the area. You can email me at shawninsa@yshoo.com as well.
I have assisted quite a few same sex partners/parents with their move into the area. All of them are really enjoying their new homes and acceptance has not been a problem for them. There are quite a few church's in the area that have gay ministers and/or have open/affirming membership.

I am licensed in both New Hampshire and Massachusetts. Please don't hesitate to let me know if you have further questions or require my assistance.

Catherine Condon
I an attest that Amherst certainly is. We have had gay parent couples both teaching in the town school system. The Congregational Church of Amherst has a gay Organist whose partner sings in the choir as well as a Lesbian Associate Pastor living in the Parsonage with her partner. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Susan Thornton
603-566-2394
Good morning Shawninsa, that is a question that I am not sure I could answer for you. I myself am not aware of any discrimination of any kind. Are you planning a visit any time soon?

I would be happy to assist you in your search to find a place and help you with any questions you may have.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Lise