Home Buying in Brooklyn>Question Details

slick14life, Home Buyer in Brooklyn, NY

My offer has been approved & listing agent is offering me a attorney to use. is it ok to use the listers attorney?

Asked by slick14life, Brooklyn, NY Sat Sep 22, 2012

Answers

6
Madeline Padovano’s answer
Hi Slick14life
of course it is ok, as long as you like him, meet him/her first. And as long as he is not the
attorney for the seller. You need someone that is on your side.
madelinepadovano@fillmore.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 23, 2012
Its no problem if you want to use the attorney that was recommended but also check out some that your friends have used and compare. It's very important that you have an attorney that you can communicate with, who doesn't mind if you ask a million questions and will advise you on what everything means and also youe alternatives. Your attorney should be there for you and explian the issue to you untl you understand. If the attorney won't give you the time of day and explain things to you then it's time to get another attorney.. Good luckIf you need a great and thorough home inspection give me a call 718 475 8585, and believe me I will explain your inspection to you until you understand what is going on with the house you wish to purchase. good luck House Hunting George
Dear slick14life:

Yes it is okay. Just make sure he or she is a good attorney. Google the attorney's name and see what comes up. Three important factors to consider when hiring an attorney are the following:

1) If the property is in Brooklyn, it is a good idea to use an attorney who is located in Brooklyn.

2) It is a good idea to hire an attorney who specializes primarily in real estate!

3) Is is also nice if your attorney has some experience.

If your attorney meets all that criteria, you are most likely in good hands!

If I can be of further assistance, please let me know. Good luck!

Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales
Madison Estates & Properties, Inc.
Office: (718) 645-1665/ Cell: (917) 805-0783
Email: MitchellSFeldman@aol.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 22, 2012
There is nothing wrong with using an attorney recommended by the listing agent but it's always a good idea to get multiple recommendations so you have a basis for comparison. Ask friends/family/colleagues that have purchased a home for suggestions or ask the agent to supply one or two additional recs. Good luck.
In the past I never recommended an attorney but now i always do. I realized that an agent that has a good relationship with an attorney helps get answers quicker and moves things along faster. But if you know attorney and have a good relationship with a particular attorney than use that one. I would only go with the recommendation if you do not have an attorney in particular. Good Luck
You are free to use any attorney you like, therefore if you are uncomfortable with the listing agent's choice find another. Ask people you may know for referrals, and or, contact the local Bar Association any local attorney; see link-- http://www.brooklynbar.org/