Home Buying in Washington>Question Details

rountree815, Home Buyer in Washington, DC

My issue with home ownership is keeping up the space around my property. Is it work purchasing a condo vs. a townhouse?

Asked by rountree815, Washington, DC Tue Jun 10, 2014

Answers

3
I feel you answered your own question.
If your issue is keeping up with a yard, garden and outdoor space a Condo Assoc may be the perfect fit for you!
By the time a homeowner adds up termite warranty's, gardener, lawn care and sprinkler system..you are what the monthly condo maintenance fee may be anyway. Something to consider especially when you don't really want to do the work yourself. Best of luck in your decision making.
A condo usually has the outside space kept up by the condo association. Normally in a town house the homeowner is responsible for the private space you would have access too but some areas differ. You could always hire a landscaping company and still enjoy a small yard?
That question depends on a lot of variables. Look at what you get included in your condo fee and how much that fee is. It may pay, it may not. Here in Key West insurance is costly, but it is typically included in a condo fee, so it's a winner. In DC, insurance is not as expensive, so you're looking at "common area maintenance" or grounds fees. Can you get a landscaper for less? Probably, but it depends on the case by case condo fees. Best of luck...