Home Buying in Randolph>Question Details

Sydkean, Home Buyer in Randolph, NJ

My husband might relocate to a position near Randolph NJ. I hear it is a wonderful town. Can you tell me something about the neighborhoods?

Asked by Sydkean, Randolph, NJ Tue Dec 15, 2009

Answers

13
Randolph is Wonderful AND Randolph is MY TOWN!

I have been a RESIDENT of Randolph with my husband and 4 children for 22 years.
I also have been a very active, award winning AGENT with my office in Randolph for over 12 years.

I know this town inside and out, and can't wait to tell you everything about this great place - the different areas, schools, sports activities, organizations, parks, trails and so much more!

I'd also like to tell you about the real estate activity going on here in Randolph, and in the rest of Morris County - my county for my entire life!

Please call/email me and I'd love to give you all the details and answer all your questions.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
LISA SHAW, Re/Max House Values -400 RT. 10 West, Randolph, NJ 07869 cell# 973-229-4889

What better way to find out about a town than work with a Real Estate office that is located in that town. My office is located in Randolph and we have years of experience in selling Randolph real Estate. There are 4 different areas of Randolph. Give me a call or email and we can discuss those different areas in detail. 973-997-5296.
Doug,

Check the dates before responding. This is a long dead thread from 2009. I did like re-reading my old answer though, it wasn't bad...

-Marc

Marc Paolella
Relocation Director/Appraiser
Century 21 Joe Tekula Realtors
201 Route 10 East
Succasunna, NJ 07876
Phone (direct): (973) 584-4235
Coolest map-based home search: http://www.marcpaolella.com
Hello, Sydkean
What can I say Randolph is a great town I have lived in the town or the neighboring town for my 38 years. I personally went throught the school districts in Randolph and they are very good. Now several of my friends have their kids go to the schools. I also I have friends that are teachers in the schools and they are great at their jobs. Not to mention the education being very good but also the sports are very good too.
I would love to help teach you and your family the area so you can get adjusted to the area and finding the perfect place to call your home.
Please call me to schedule a interview
Doug Billek
Weichert Realtors
cell 908 591 8326
dbillek@optonline.net
Hi Sydkean,

Randolph is a residential suburb located about 1 hour West of New York. It is quite rustic for the most part, with shopping and commercial areas concentrated mostly along Route 10. The vast majority of the township is residentially developed. The schools are often considered a strong point, and many buyers choose Randolph primarily for the good schools.

As far as the neighborhoods, the area North of Route 10 is the older section. Typical homes are in the $300,000-$550,000 range for the most part. This areas include Fernbrook and Mt. Fern. There are a few younger subdivisions mixed in like Woodland Hills and Arrowgate (condos), but it is mostly older and smaller housing stock.

As you move South of Route 10, you have areas like Ironia, Brundage Park, Center Grove, Mt. Freedom, Millbrook. These neighborhoods contain a mix of some older Bi-Levels and Colonials, but also many younger subdivisions of homes in the $400,000 to $800,000 range.

To the East is one of the more rustic areas within Randolph known as Shongum Lake. The neighborhoods surrounding the lake contain generally more expensive housing in the $450,000 to $900,000 range, although you can also find a smaller home that is more reasonably priced. Shongum Elementary is a very highly rated school.
Here is a Shongum Lake link:

http://www.shongumlake.org/

As you move South, you get towards areas that border Mendham Twp. Areas like Brookside, Colemans Hollow, the Heritage neighborhoods built by Sal Campo, Mendham Lake Estates, Knightsbridge, Pleasant Ridge, Rolling Oaks, Heather Heights, Wexford Chase, Yorkshire Estates feature larger executive Colonials that generally sell for $800,000 to $2,000,000.

If you would like to see closed sales in Randolph for the past 6 months, just click this link (give it some time, there are quite a few sales!):

http://emailrpt.gsmls.com/public/show_public_report_rpt.do?r…

If you have any further questions, call or e-mail anytime!

-Marc

Marc Paolella
Relocation Director
Member, Worldwide ERC
Licensed Realtor NJ
Licensed Appraiser NJ & NY
Century 21 Joe Tekula Realtors
Agent of the Year 2008
Agent of the Year 2009
Owner: Sands Appraisal Service, Inc.
Phone (direct): (973) 584-4235
Search the Garden State MLS: http://www.marcpaolella.com/SearchMLS
Fair Housing Laws, prohibit Realtors to answer questions directly, it is referred as steering--if you are not familiar with the areas, now is the time to explore and see for yourself and come to your own conclusions--keep in mind opinions are just that--and what may be a good town for one maybe not necessarily be the for other.
Nice town. VERY high taxes. You should consider commuting from PA to Randolph. If you leave early enough, it's a decent commute.

If you live in PA, you'll pay 1/3 less in state income tax and probably 2/3 less in property tax - for the equivalent house. Worst case, your property taxes will be at least 50% less in PA. Stroudsburg or East Stroudsburg are towns to consider.

It's very likely that you would save at least $5000 per year (that's conservative) living in PA vs. NJ. I save about $10K per year ... not too shabby.

Thanks and good luck!
You are in luck. Randolph is a very nice town. It is centrally located in Morris County It is close to all highways, airports, and rail transit systems. Randolph is a township and is very rural. There are some very nice neighborhoods and homes range in price from 300,000 to milillions of dollars. There is no downtown area but there are shopping centers. If a down town area is important to you Denville, Morris Plains, Morrristown,and Mendham all are close and border Randolph. If you would like more info on the area call me at 862 222 4737 or visit my web site at http://www.morris-plains-homes-nj.com

Regards

Bob Sittmann
Hello Sydkean,
It looks like you are getting plenty of information about the town of Randolph in these answers. I would also like to point out there are many surrounding towns in Morris County such as Mendham, Mendham Township, Denville, Kinnelon, Mountain Lakes, Rockaway and more that you may have interest in. You may even want to look south of Randolph. I grew up in this area and live and work here so if you would like to learn more about the Morris county area and other possibilities, I can help you.
There has never been a better time to buy with the tax credits available and interest rates that may save you up to $50,000 over the life of your mortgage! It's a great place to live and to be so close to New York City and yet enjoy natural surroundings is wonderful. Many of the towns in Morris county have wonderful, top rated school systems, easy mass transportation and great shopping. It is also prudent to consider the taxes of some towns as you compare. Some towns share regionalized services and schools, some have more commercial-business etc so the taxes are much more affordable. Most towns have homes that can range from $350,000 to multi million dollar homes depending on what you are looking for. Call me if you would like to talk and I do wish you heartfelt success in your home search.
Lynda
Web Reference: http://www.lyndadorio.com
Hello Sydkean. I have lived in Randolph for 17 years, and I focus a lot of my business in town. It is an “idealic” place to live with the best of all worlds. The landscape is beautiful with plenty of open space (with many parks and miles of wooded trails for biking and hiking in the area), the schools are highly rated, and it is very close/convenient to shopping, highways and NYC direct trains. So there is plenty of greenery/trees and mountainous views, yet it is just minutes away from a busy downtown in nearby Morristown, Madison or Chester. Randolph has many neighborhoods with homes to fit a wide range of budgets, from $300,000 to over a $1,000,000. People in town show a lot of pride in their town, as well as in their homes (which you can see in how properties are well maintained). You can check out my website, where I show monthly updates of details of the Real Estate Market specifically in Randolph Township. Go to http://www.BestHomeResults.com, http://www.MorrisMarketTrends.com, or http://www.SoldInRandolph.com. Good luck in your process and feel free to reach out to me with any specific questions you may have.

_________________________________
Judith "Judi" Paris, CRS, ABR, e-Pro
Broker/Sales Associate
Weichert, Realtors - Morristown West Office
(O) 973-455-1900 (C) 973-902-HOME
Email: Judi@BestHomeResults.com
Randolph is a great place, as Jill said, to raise a family. I live in Chester, but also work in Randolph. In fact, I have a listing in one of those great neighborhoods - Millbrook Glen - 30 Castle Court is a really nice house in a really nice neighborhood (MLS#2723463) . Of course, your budget will determine which neighborhoods you look at, but there are a great variety of good neighborhoods -- everything from newer & new construction on 1+ acres in the $1 -1.4million price point (Waterfall Estates, Heritage Village, Mendham Lake Estates) to nice homes from the 80s & 90s on 1 acre between 550K - 750K price point (Millbrook Glen, Sharmel Woods, some of Shongum, Knightsbrige. $750K- $1MM (Wexford Chase, Kings Crossing, some Heritage Village). Below that, newer neighborhoods can be found in the Quaker Church area and some of Shongum. In r e a l l y general terms, north of Route 10 you get a smaller lot (usually 1/2 acre) than you do south of Route 10 (1/2 to 1 1/2 acre). Of course I've left out other great neighborhoods, but I hope this helps start your search. If you other questions I can answer, please feel free to call me at 908-581-6349. Janet Ellis, Keller Williams Towne Square Realty
Hello, Sydkean!
How are you doing?
Yes! You are right Randolph and surrounding area are very nice.
Randolph by itself is a very large township, more like a country, but if you are looking more in-town living, historical Morristown might be interesting for you.
It is not easy to say about Randolph and towns next to it in few words, there are so much to say.
Let me just insure you that area is beautiful, there are many parks around, major highways near by and much much more. Houses prices in Randolph in a very large price range from mid $200,000 to over $1,000,000.
You are very welcome to contact me if you need an assistance.
Yelena Tsuladze
Broker/Owner
ADVANCED REALTY GROUP, LLC
175 Washington St.
Morristown, NJ 07960
973-843-0053
973-652-1372 - cell
http://AdvancedRealtyGroupNJ.com
Hi Sydkean - My name is Jill Southren and I live and work here in Randolph, NJ. It truly is a wonderful town. I am raising my two children here since they were pre-school age and they are thriving in Randolph since it has so much to offer everyone. There are several wonderful neighborhoods here in Randolph. What would you like to know about the neighborhoods? Call me on my cell 201-650-3722 to talk live so that I may answer all of your local questions. Looking forward to hearing from you - Jill
Web Reference: http://www.JillSouthren.com