Tori Ervin, Home Owner in San Antonio, TX

My husband just got a new job in another city, so we have to sell. When is the best time to list a house?

Asked by Tori Ervin, San Antonio, TX Tue Oct 16, 2012

Answers

29
In today's market there is no longer a "down time" for putting your house on the market. With today's active relocation market there are always buyers on the move, just like yourself. Of course there are times when there are fewer buyers in the market - but look for them to be serious buyers. I would recommend preparing your home for listing right away. A REALTOR will assist you in staging and making repairs so that your home shows "buyer ready".
I hope I have an opportunity to visit with you and further discuss what I can do for you to help you sell your home.

Sue
If you need a referral for a real estate agent in the city on which you are relocating, please contact me; I am part of an international network of real estate agents and I can assist in finding you an agent who is a good fit.
The best thing to do is have an agent come by your home and determine what your home will sell for and estimate how long it will take. Having siad that, placing your home on the market as soon as possible so you don't have to make two payments is a good idea. The burden of two mortgage could have very negative effects on your bank account.

You will have a clear idea of where you stand after meeting with an agent.

Marty Shields
Real Living/Best Homes
Consultant
210-725-9607 cell
marty.shields@realliving.com
You saw it from everyone, NOW is the best time if you want to clear the most amount of money, utilise the low interest rates and the low inventory AND on a personal note the fact that you have a new job waiting for you.
Right now in our market sellers are making gravy because the inventory is SO LOW they have multiple offers to choose the best one for them! If you wait spring, everyone else is selling so the inventory is larger which means lesser money in your pocket but maybe best for you to buy in your new market.
You can always rent your current property BUT who knows what will happen in the near future? No one know so if all the signs of the market points you towards selling, selling may make sense right now.
Remember, elections are around the corner + the end of the year holidays so it will slow down soon! Besides tenants don't take as good care of your home as you do yourself.
Hope it helps!

Angélique Kenney
Realtor® for Professional Athletes, CRS, GRI, e-Pro, SFR, ILHM member, SSR.

Prudential California Realty & SportStar Relocation San Diego
7030 Avenida Encinas | Suite 100 | Carlsbad, CA, 92011 | USA
C/Text 760.282.HOME (4663) | F 866.422.0641
E angeliquekenney@gmail.com

Visit my site for a FREE (MLS) home search at http://SDandOChomes.com
Access unlimited home listings
Get email alerts for new homes
Save search criteria and listings
Track neighborhood price trends

Thank you for nominating me in the top 10 out of 6,000+ agents for the 2012's SAN DIEGO'S BEST REAL ESTATE AGENT!
My husband made the cut for his Cabinetry company as well with http://blackwooddesignsd.com/

*2011 PRUDENTIAL HONOR SOCIETY AWARD WINNER*

International Properties | Luxury Estates Certified | Corporate, Athletes & Military Relocation Specialist | Fluent in French | CA DRE#01846783, ID, HI
When you get ready to sell it is the best time to list. Properties are literally flying off the market. We receive offers the same day as listings are input into system. Multiple offers!!
Now! Interest rates, inventory are both low would love to help.

Give us a call

Carol J Woodward
210-823-0403
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 21, 2012
The best time is when you are ready, willing and able to get the home in showing condition and keep it that way, price it to get offers and as soon you can to meet the deadline for your husband to report to work. Work closely with your agent and follow their advice. If you don't have an agent, I have a large referral network...give me call or email and I will recommend a competant one.
Putting your house on the market -- especially in this economy -- can be stressful for anyone. If you're nervous about selling your home, you are not alone!

Hope some advice here will help you:

http://www.realtypin.com/news/Story/727-The-Emotional-Toll-o…
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 20, 2012
My nephew is a physician in the Army and lives and works in El Paso. He will be leaving the service in March when his commitment is complete after 14 years. He was worried that it would take a long time to sell in this current climate but they were pleasantly surprised. Once it was listed - they had a buyer ready to go to contract within 2 weeks. They purchased the home in 2004 for over 320K and got more than that back. So they'll actually be renting from November until March when they will be returning to the Northeast.
Fortunately we live in a very transitional city. Soooo the best time to sell is as soon as you know you need to. With all of the Military and Corporate relocations San Antonio's Real Estate market really does not have low periods.

If you would like a free sit down to determine what your home should sell for....I am available with a little notice.

Marty Shields
Real Living/Best Homes
Consultant
210-725-9607
marty.shields@realliving.com
Hello Tori,

Of course there are times of the year when more homes sell... ie: the spring and summer months but as a general rule it will not be much of a factor. I would list the home when you are ready to sell and make sure you and your agent work together to make sure you are in the best possible position to sell quickly and for top dollar.

In the Austin area homes that are priced correctly are selling very fast and sometimes at or slightly above the list price. One of my agents I work with have lost out on 3 homes with the last offer being made at $5,000 above the asking price. While that is not really the norm it shows that the market is turning. The slowest point is definitely the holidays that are quickly approaching. At the same time you never know when that special buyer who will love you home will be out there looking.

So I would be less concerned with the timing and base it on your need to sell. When you are ready just make sure you do everything you can to ensure your home is priced correctly and shows at it's absolute best. It may even pay to ask your agent to take you to a few homes he or she feels would be your direct competition. I do that with many of my listing clients so they can see first hand what the competition has to offer.

Best of luck to you.

_______________________________________
Don Groff
REALTOR® | Mortgage Broker
Keller Williams Realty | 360 Lending Group
o 512.669.5599 m 512.633.4157
listings@dongroff.com | http://www.AustinListed.com
Hi Tori

I know a lot of agents already answered your question. I just want to ask you to give me the chance to talk to you either over the phone or in person. I hope you can give me the opportunity. Thank you for your time.

Rossana Correa
Bilingual Agent
210-560-5704
Tori,

Homes are now moving quickly, so the better question is when do you want to move out? If it were me, I'd schedule closing for about 10 days after my move. If it's a regular sale (you owe the bank less than the house is worth), my estimate for putting it on the market would be about 120 days before that move date. If it's a short sale (you owe the bank MORE than the house is worth), then I'd suggest you put it on the market ASAP (it will definitely take more than 120 days to sell.)

You should also go to a mortgage broker and see if you qualify to buy a new house without selling your current home. Depending on local prices, you may want to consider renting the property rather than selling.

Ann
List your home as soon as you can so you can get exposure, no matter if it's the "best time" or not. But....let's make sure your home is market ready so that you don't linger on the market and become "stale". We need to review a current market analysis so that you can price your home correctyly, stage it for optimal showing responses and correct any repairs. When you have a home that shows well, is priced right and require little maintenace from the new owner....you have a home that will sell in any market.
Happy to help you get started!

Sue
Thanks for reminding me Steve. My listings sell in 31 days on average, for 98.7% of asking price, and perhaps even more importantly 88.9% of my listings ACTUALLY SELL. Do you know what the average realtors number is on this? 53.1%!!! That means by listings with another Realtor you basically have a coin flip on whether your house will sell or not. Yes, this means I may not take your listing if I don't like what I see and you don't fix up the house how I tell you. But in a price war and a beauty contest you have to be the best. I hope to hear from you soon Tori.

Justin
Hi, Tori,

Here are the factors you should consider:

1. Interest rates are at record lows right now. No Economist whom I know is willing to say how long that will last. That affects you twice; it makes your home more affordable to Buyers,AND it makes the home you will buy in your new city more affordable to you.

2. A 1/2% increase in interest rates is equivalent (in payment) to a 6% price increase in the home. It doesn't take much of a movement upward to put the home you want to buy out of reach, and to put yours out of reach of many Buyers.

3. It is true we have fewer Buyers now (although my phone has been ringing steadily, and our showings are strong), and we also have fewer homes on the market. With less competition, your home may actually get more than if you wait until Spring when more homes will be on the market.

4. If your home meets the four tests of marketability - Sparkling Clean, Everything repaired, Move-in Ready, and Priced right at market, it should return Maximum NET Proceeds to you NOW. You don't have to make any more payments, you are free to pursue your new life in a new city, and you don't have to worry about market uncertainty.

TO sell in this market (which is roaring), you will need an aggressive, tech savvy agent who understands the internet where 94% of Buyers start, and properly prepares your home for its first showing (on the internet). Contact us for a free copy of our little booklet, "97 Easy Ways To Make Your Home Sell Faster".

Doc and Ellen Stephens, REALTORS
(210) 764-9403
Anytime is the right time if you are willing, and ready to move... It will depend on the location of your home, and price range on how long it will take to sell...I can save you Money on the sell of your home with no quality discount... Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or if you would like to setup a time to meet, and talk about all your options...

Rosie Kelch "The Singing Realtor"
24 years of Experience Selling San Antonio with a Song...
210-846-3027 direct line
em: thesingingrealtor@hotmail.com
http://thesingingrealtor.vobre.com/
Well, I think I am lucky #13 to answer your question (unless some one is answering right now as well). Anyway, there are so many great real estate agents here in S.A., I agree with one of the answers that it is best to interview a few REALTORS® before you choose one to perform the very important task of marketing and selling your home. Because S.A. has become so diverse in business and military, homes can (and do) sell at all times of the year. No doubt, Spring through Summer still lead the selling months, but your home can sell if priced right and is in good condition.

Like so many before me, I am going to respectfully ask for a chance to interview with you. I can provide several references from sellers I have successfully helped currently and in the past.

Whether I hear from you or not, I want to wish you well in your family's new endeavor and home.

Thank you for your question,

Monica Barrientos-REALTOR®
210-379-5098
monica@mytxproperties.com
Good evening Tori,

Not surprisingly, many salespeople have responded to your question. A thread common in many of them is “pick me, I’m the best”. With 6,142 Realtors in San Antonio, it defies logic that they could all be ‘the best’, yet I rarely meet real estate salespeople who are prepared to say ‘I might not an ideal fit for you’, and if I’m not, I’ll help you find someone who is.

As a second generation Broker I have a different view. Without knowing all the relevant facts about you, your family, your home and your relocation considerations, no-one (myself included), is qualified to pronounce themselves as your obvious choice.

I suggest that you conduct some telephone interviews, and based on that meet with two to three Realtors in person.

Some of the preliminary questions that you may want to consider asking include:
• Are you a licensed Broker or a salesperson working under a Broker?
• How long have you worked in real estate sales?
• How many hours and days do you typically work per week?
• Do you have any paid job outside real estate?
• Do you work nights and weekends, as required?
• Do you have any vacations planned in the near future?
• Can you provide independent verification of any claims of performance?
• Do you have a written marketing plan?

If you elect to consider me, I promise you an open and honest discussion without any obligation or pressure.

Respectfully,

Leah McNamara GRI BPOR
Managing Broker
Best Practices Realty
Call or Text: (210) 379-2799
email: Leah@BPR.co
Web Reference: http://www.BPR.co
Hi Tori,

With interest rates historically low now, our market will continue to be very active. I would list your house 45 to 60 days before you need to move, so we can sell it before your transfer, and you'll only have to move once.

Please let me know if you'd like me to submit my resume for the job of getting your home sold. My team is highly respected for our integrity, excellence and production. Houses I list are on the market an average of 30 days, BUT...AT 98% OF ASKING PRICE!

I'm a highly skilled negotiator and FIGHT for my sellers. I also PROACTIVELY call buyers every day to match them with the right house. (i.e. I actually WORK to sell your house!) You do want a Realtor who will actually WORK for you, right?

Thanks for considering The Collins Group when you interview highly-skilled professionals to assist you with the sale of your house!
Tori

Thank you for your question. In general, the "selling season" is March-August in San Antonio for a lot of reasons. First, we have a large amount of military personnel and the military typically transfers all their personnel during this time (I am retired Air Force so I have first hand knowledge). Second, we have a huge medical center that brings in new residents every summer. Third, most people who look at transferring jobs, like to move when their children are out of school. Lastly, summer time is a great time to look for homes as you typically don't have as many commitments.

That being said, San Antonio is experiencing a great real estate time. The last few months homes sales have been at a steady rise and they don't seem to be slowing down for the Fall. The last report from Texas Association of Realtors stated San Antonio is still increasing in the number of home sales.

I do believe this rise will continue as long as interest rates continue to stay at record lows. So, listing your home now may be a perfect time.

If there is something I can help you with in selling your home, please don't hesitate to call or email me. I would love to hear from you.

Sincerely

Terri Saari, Realtor®
GRI, CNE, SFR, e-Pro, ABR, AHLS, CHMS, CNHS
Certified Relocation Specialist
Retired United States Air Force
Kimberly Howell Properties
21252 Gathering Oak, Ste 100, San Antonio TX 78260
210-887-3477 Cell
210-493-6888 Office
210-493-7002 Fax
http://www.WelcomeHomeToSA.com
Texas' FIVE STAR Realtor 2012 and 2011 as seen in Texas Monthly
Platinum Top 50 Award Winner 2011

Texas Law requires all Real Estate Licensees to give the following information about brokerage services: Please click or cut and paste this URL into your browser Http://www.trec.state.tx.us/pdf/contracts/OP-K.pdf
Now, if you price it right it can sell by Christmas. We would be happy to help! Please call or text me at 210-823-0403 or check out our Website http://www.TexaHomesDuo.com. We have many testimonal for you to view.

Looking for in service you soon.

Carol J Woodward
Kellwer Williams Realty City-View
The TexasHomesDuo Team
http://youtu.be/5ZB3FLo09Rk

carol@texashomesduo.com
Now, if you want to sell by Christmas. I can help you.
Hey there Tori,

First off, Congrats to your husband! That's a great reason to have to move for sure as it sounds like it will put your and your family in a better position. We have had at least a handful of clients in the past year going through the same questions you are now. One thing that we have found that our clients that have felt that really helped them in the past was our timing and financial analysis. Any licensed Realtor having access to MLS can show you the homes in your neighborhood, but way too many stop there.

We would suggest you highly consider those two important tools to reference for an answer in your quest. If you are wondering what those are and how that might help clear up any unknowns for ya; we'd be more than happy to meet with you at your convenience.

God bless,
Josh
Dear Tori,

During the spring and summer you will have more interested buyers with kids or people working in education. At the same time you will also have more competition. Any time during the year is a good time to sell in San Antonio, though. The key is to price the home right, fix what needs to be fixed, clean the house and stage it, so it appeals to everybody. I would like to offer my opinion to get you started. Contact me anytime.

Claudia McShane
Joyce Klein Realtors
Cell (210) 744-4502
The_Realtor4U@yahoo.com
Web Reference: http://www.SAHomes4Sale.net
Great question Tori. It really depends on who you list with. My average market time for my listings is 31 days. The average San Antonio Realtor had an average of 130 days last year. Let me know how I can help you!

Justin Werner, ABR, CDPE, CRS, SFR
Accredited Buyer Representative
Certified Distressed Property Expert
Certified Residential Specialist
Short Sale & Foreclosure Resource Certified
Platinum Top 50 Realtor Finalist 2011
RE/MAX Exclusive
210-367-4757 Cell
http://www.AlamoCityHomeInfo.com
http://www.JustinWerner.com
Past Client Video Testimonials

Your Home Sold in 120 Days, GUARANTEED!
http://www.SellHomeIn120Days.com
Save at least $2,500 on your next home purchase, GUARANTEED!
http://www.Save2500Guaranteed.com
Do you know anyone falling behind on their mortgage payments? As a CDPE I can help.
http://www.StopAlamoCityForeclosure.com
Tori,
The market is still very good right now due to low interest rates and a lot of relocation to San Antonio. There are many factors to discuss specific to your situation and home. My background in architecture and design is beneficial to my clients when preparing their home to sell.
I'd be happy to meet with you to further discuss the market and how we can get your home sold.

Michelle Hartl
Keller Williams Realty Heritage
210.387.5996
Mhartl@kw.com
Hey Tori,
Thanks for such a great question. Selling your home is certainly based on your financial situation, and also your plans and goals for relocation to the new city. I would love to sit down with you and discuss you options and see what would be the best time for you to put your house on the market based on your situation. Please feel free to call me with any questions, or to schedule an appointment.

Thanks!

Patrick Hammonds
Axis Realty Group
210-319-0569

Jacqueliene Hammonds
Real Estate Assistant
210-322-0552
Hi Tori,

The best time to sell is when you need to :). Make sure to prepare your home and price it right and it will sell despite the time of the year. To be sure, the Real Estate Market in San Antonio is usually it's busiest at the spring and summer months and tends to slow down a bit in the Winter moths, however, again, homes that are priced right and marketed right still sell :).

If you need help or would like me to prepare a comparative market analysis for you and show you how I can assist you in getting your home sold, feel free to call or e-mail me!

I look forward to hearing from you.

Brenda Mullen
Realtor®, ABR, ePro
RE/MAX Access
210-807-0819
brenda.mullen@sbcglobal.net