Home Buying in San Antonio>Question Details

lovelymisty3…, Other/Just Looking in San Antonio, TX

My husband is in the miltiary and I work full time. When should we start looking into buying? Should we buy now or wait until he gets out.?

Asked by lovelymisty3310, San Antonio, TX Thu Jun 21, 2012

Answers

16
Misty,

First off, thank your husband for his service and a big thank you also to your family for your service. As a veteran, I understand that military service is hard on the entire family.

Ok, you stated you lived in base housing and then stated your BAH is $1500. You would not be entitled to BAH if you are in quarters. That being said, now is an awesome time to buy. However, based on your situation, I don't feel comfortable trying to push you to buy. If your husband does re-enlist, then he more than likely will not be coming this way as a marine. Very few marine slots in San Antonio as this is not a marine city. Few exceptions include recruiters and some training and operational slots.

So, the dilemma you must ask yourselves is: Do we want to capitalize on the lowest interest rates in decades, to capture a home, even with the unknown future of separation versus re-enlistment?

If you buy now and do not move to San Antonio, then you would have to look at renting the home out. Based on lender, there are certain stipulations you may have to affirm to on occupancy, based on loan type. In other words, if you know you will not be occupying the home, that limits your loan choices and options. Though I'm a firm believer in home ownership, I think you need more answers for your family status and husbands service, before you embark on the purchase, so that you can do so with a solid goal.

If you need to discuss or need any assistance, please let me know.

Darrell D. Drouillard
Home Team of America
16719 Huebner Rd., Bldg 4
San Antonio, Texas 78248
210-373-6160
210-881-6760 (Fax)
http://www.dddrealtor.com

'Serving all Your Real Estate Needs'
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 21, 2012
I'm not sure it will get any better than it is now. I am sure you have many questions regarding your husbands career in the military and how it might affect your ability to sell if he is transferred. My advice to you though is to buy now and I would love to help you and your family find the right home.

I appreciate your referrals.

Chris Thorson
Century 21 United-Northside
Cell 210-595-0027
Office 210-979-6700
christopher.thorson@century21.com
Now is a great buying opportunity. however, if you will not be here for 18 months or so, waiting could be the thing to do. Since you would not be occupying the property, it likely would be an
I would not recommend you buying a house unless you know for sure that you will make San Antonio your permanent home. I would hate to be a long distance landlord. Thank you for your service.
Frank Mota-REALTOR
We went through the same thing. My husband put in 29 years and we experienced over 9 different bases. Do not buy a house if you are not going to have at least a minimum of 3 years on station. If you do, you will lose money. Also, only qualify on your husband's take home pay. Because you are military, you are subject to moving and you can't count on your income all of the time. Kelly
Thanks for the inquiry and thank both of your for your service. I was fortuante to have 36 years Air Force service including 15 enlisted years. Specifics of your situation should be discussed with a mortgage lender of your choice or I can make some recommendations.

As a "general" statement, you should purchase before your husband leaves the military if possible. Both incomes would be used to qualify. However certain restrictions are possible also such as does he have a projected discharge or retirement date....that would come into play in the mortgage side of the equation. Again, highly recommend you discuss with an experienced mortgage lender.

Royce Simmonds, Broker-Owner
Simmonds Group Real Estate Inc.
Schertz/San Antonio
210-269-8086
Please contact Patrick Fitzgerald at Prime Lending. He is a loan officer specializing in vet loans here in Texas for over 20 years. He can be reached at 210-862-6296 (cell) or 210-483-4900 (office).

You will love BAMC for all your family medical needs, it is great!!

I am sure we will be able to find a home suitable for your family's needs. If you would like to contact me, I can provide you any information you need....
Absolutely that helps. Since BAH is tax free it helps out.

When you have time you can give me a call and we can get this worked out for you. Or you can email me at Marcus.laughy@gmail.com
right now our BAH is $1500 a month if that helps any
I'm so sorry to hear that. If you reach out I can help. There is a way to make it happen.
we are currently at quantico, VA....the hard part is that if for some reason they let him re-enlist he wants to stay in and we would have a home that we are paying on just sitting there while we are away.
my husband has been in the USMC for 12 years and we are here until 2014 but due to injuries he sustained in afghanistan we looking into non re-enlisting. HIs credit score is way better than mine and we have a family of 6 one of them being severly special needs, so finding a home for her is crucial. We both grew up in san antonio (married there, and family is there). The thing is right now we are living in base housing and don't know if we are able to even get a home. Please help we are very lost!!!
Great question! I'm with a lender right now wrapping up a closing. If your husband has 12 more months of service remaining there shouldn't be an employer issue with the loan. Because of his service of his service to our country he should qualify for Texas Vet rates if he serves in Texas currently. According to the lender the rates for that program right now is 3.15. It is a great time to buy!

You can call me for all the details at 210-393-6187.
It really depends on what you both want. Are you ready to move? Are you ready for the commitment in buying a home? Is San Antonio your permanent place or residence? Are your finances in order? These are just some of the questions you need to ask yourselves.

I would love to help you with this journey. I'm happy to send you more information on the buying process. Anything to help! Email me so I may send you the information.

Maegan Olguin
JBGoodwin Realtors
Maegan-olguin@jbgoodwin.com
210-323-1257
Hi lovelymisty3310,

Well, that really depends on what it is you want to do. I can tell you that at this point in time, if you qualify, there is really no better time to buy a home. The rates are ridiculously low and we have some really nice homes here in San Antonio. Of course, with your husband being in the military, you will be able to buy a home with a VA loan and that is a tremendous product.

I myself spent 21 years in the Army (I retired here) and my husband still serves. I bought a home every place I was stationed as I believe in home ownership and that it's better than renting. However, that being said, home ownership is a big step and there are many things to consider.

I would be happy to discuss with you your options if you like. I am quite sure you will get a Ton of responses here :). If you want to talk about your options, just give me a call or send me an e-mail. As you can probably imagine, I work with many military families :).

I look forward to hearing from you.

Brenda Mullen
Realtor®, ABR, e-PRO
RE/MAX Access
brenda.mullen@sbcglobal.net
210-807-0819
Thank you for your service! My husband is a Retired Lieutenant Colonel. I say now, you can call me tonight and we can discuss this a little further. My lender works late, call anytime. Thanks for reading.

Susan Casas
210-835-6696