Home Buying in Boston>Question Details

Jessica, Home Buyer in 02115

My husband has a job in Providence, RI and I work in Boston. We currently live in Boston, but the commute to Providence for my husband is a bit too

Asked by Jessica, 02115 Sat Nov 28, 2009

much on a daily basis. What are some areas b/n boston and providence we should look into to live that offer good public transportation to boston and an ok drive to providence?

We are both in our 30s and like the feel of living in a city, particularly being able to walk to get anywhere and that there is a lot going on/lots to do.

Ideally, we are looking buy and ideally want at least two bedrooms and two bathrooms, although 1 1/2 baths would be fine. Budget is flexible, but ideally no more than 450K.

Answers

8
Hello Jessica, If renting is an option for you and your husband, there's a boutique apartment community right in the middle of Boston/Providence just off the I-95 exit in Sharon, Mass., called Wilber School Apartments. Very unique, this historic rehabilitation of an old school has won several national design awards and other awards, as well. It certainly has historic charm, but with very modern interiors and finishes. If you would like and still have not made a decision, I would be happy to assist you. You can walk to all of the town attractions -- restaurants, banks, CVS, churches, synagogues, the library, and, the Providence/Boston commuter rail station is 1/3 of a mile down the street! Wilber School Apartments is located right on South Main Street, Sharon, Mass., Rte. 27 (off I-95). It was the top rated public school system in the State of Mass. for the last 2 years!
Let me know if I can help. Janice Lynch, Beacon Communities, 617.574.1155. jlynch@beaconcommunitiesllc.com;
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 25, 2015
Hi Jessica -

There are a lot of options for you and some other agents have suggested great towns - Braintree is one that has a nice center of town, the South Shore Plaza Mall and a variety of neighborhoods that range from residential to slightly more urban. Another town you might consider is Norwood. It is easy access to Rt 95 and Rt 93 and it also has a nice center of town. There are some great restaurants & shops. I had a client who purchased a condo in Norwood, close to the center, particularly because they were looking for a place that they could walk to things and they also needed to be close to public transportation to get to work in Boston.

An option that may work very well also is Quincy. It is not that far south of Boston but it is an excellent area for commuting, it has a ton of activities going on, great restaurants & shops and again, a great variety of areas to choose from depending on what amenities you want to be closest too. There are a lot of different condo complexes to choose from. I owned a home in Quincy for 10 years and found it a great place to live. Wollaston Beach is also a bonus - it has been rehabbed in the past few years. The drive to Providence would be about 40 minutes.

Please let me know if I can assist you in your search!

Thanks -
Katie
You are so fortunate that there are a number of wonderful communities between Providence and Boston and with access to public transportation too. When you say the big city feel, is it that you would like to walk from your home to restaurants, entertainment and shopping? If you would inform me as to how long a commute would be acceptable to your spouse to Providence we can certainly determine a community or area within a community which would meet your needs. Look forward to hearing from you! MaryBeth Mills Muldowney
Hi Jessica!
Great question! I had the same challenge when I moved in the area years ago.
Have you sat down with a mortgage consultant,,yet? I am also a financial planner and can review all your information to determine what is in YOUR best interest.
Please contact me when you are ready to move forward. I look forward to assisting you! Ann Sabbagh
Thanks all! Much appreciated! I'll look into your suggestions.

To give some more background, we're ideally looking for a loft with some exposed brick- 2 bedrooms would be ideal and 1.5 baths a must. We will pay more if it's a good value. We've been looking in Needham, Newton, Natick and Dedham.
Hi Jessica,

I think South Bostton could be a good fit for you.You will get the space you are looking for and most certainly get the life style of city living.
Hi Jessica, Canton might be your answer. It doesn't have the feeling of the city like you want but the commute to Boston and Providence would be a good compromise for both of you. There are a few stations on the commuter rail that connect to South Station in Boston and your husband can hop directly onto Route 95 to Providence.
Web Reference: http://www.BowenBoston.com
Hi Jessica- How about Braintree? Good T access if needed, or you could drive into Boston if needed.
Or Milton maybe.
There are other choices of course- depends on how important the public transportation into Boston is. If you need any help with anything, please let me know.

Thanks and good luck,

Ken L.