Home Buying in Chicago>Question Details

maria villar…, Other/Just Looking in Elgin, IL

My husband had credit, but now it shows 999 like he has no credit or had. What is a good way of getting him credit.?

Asked by maria villarreal, Elgin, IL Sun Nov 11, 2012

Answers

8
Nicholas S Nelson’s answer
Good Morning Maria,

It sounds like either your husbands credit was incorrectly pulled or he has no credit history and will need to establish credit. If credit needs to be established, most lenders need to see at least two trade lines. One must be a credit card and one must be a installment loan (auto loan...).

Should you have any further questions, please do not hestitate to contact me.

Good Luck,

Nick Nelson (NMLS#384413)
1st Step Mortgage Group
815-289-0880 - Phone
nickn@1stepmortgage.com - Email
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 13, 2012
Maria,

Not knowing how your husband’s credit score was pulled I would say an error has happened. I have heard of people receiving a 0 or 999 when credit was pulled. In almost all instances the credit was pulled incorrectly. Did you pull the credit yourself or did someone do it for you?

You can always check your credit for free at kreditkarma.com.

Best of luck,

Manuel Brown
iMove Chicago
Broker
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 11, 2012
Hello Maria
If your husband has active and positive accounts then there was an error - However
If your husband has no open tradelines then it would not be un common for the agencies to report either no score or an invalid number.
I would recommend talking to your bank about obtaining a secured credit card. This is vey similar to a debit card except the history will report to the credit agencies.
You may also be able to secure a credit card from a department store.
You will need to have active credit tradelines in order to obtain a positive credit score. (basically open accounts that you use and pay on time)
Be careful to only charge amounts that can be paid off in a 2 month period and do not exceed 50% of the maximum limit.
Good Luck
Sam Sharp
Senior VP of Mortgage Lending
Guaranteed Rate
773-290-0455
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 12, 2012
Start by trying to obtain a few credit cards or store charge cards. Most lenders require at least 3 open tradelines open for at least 1 year.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 12, 2012
Maria,

This sounds like a mistake, I would try running it again.

Best of luck,

Ivan Sagel
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 11, 2012
tact equifax and review the history
Hi Maria,

Here's a great place to start:

http://www.lexingtonlaw.com/

GOOD LUCK.

Scott
I would speak with a lender or someone to help you fix your credit. They can put you on credit repair programs.