Home Buying in Cross Plains>Question Details

Meche09, Both Buyer and Seller in Madison, WI

My husband and I would like to buy a home but we do not have a lot of equity since we refinanced some years

Asked by Meche09, Madison, WI Sun Jun 28, 2009

ago. We own a condo and would like to buy a small home in Cross Plains, since I work on the west side of Madison right now. What advice would you give us? Should we go back to renting to save money? What are the possibilities of a property swap?

Answers

2
Thank you Heather. I'm glad to hear I have options. Things have changed because my husband got a part time job close to the Capitol. We noticed that Monona is an area that is more affordable, the houses are a little smaller, and older. We have some friends that might sell their house, my husband thinks we should 'rent to own' from them. What is your opinion about 'Rent to Own'.
I would say that it really has everything to do with where your Condo is located and the price it needs to sell. It is hard to dictate a swap without those two components. Additionally, the ratio to swap is considerably lower than selling. As of course banks & relocation etc would not consider a swap and honestly most do not even allow a sale of home contingency. Which at this time is a good portion of our market. I can tell you there is little to nothing under $200k in Cross Plains at current. If you feel you are upside down at the moment, which is certainly something many owners can relate to at this time, you may want to just sit tight. Even adding a few extra dollars to your payment each month can help. However, if you feel you are in danger of getting behind you may want to investigate selling. Ask a Realtor to come by and do a market analysis on your home or hire an appraiser so you have a good idea of what your condo might sell for.
The truth is you do have options! They just require a great deal of patience in this market.
Best Wishes,
Heather J.