Home Buying in Cincinnati>Question Details

build?, Home Buyer in Cincinnati, OH

My husband and I would like to build a home. We would like to move around summer of 2014. When should we contact a Realtor?

Asked by build?, Cincinnati, OH Mon Feb 18, 2013

Answers

14
Dave Harcourt’s answer
First question is "do you have a home to sell"? Most people today cannot buy a home without selling theirs first. If so, you will need to get an indication as to it's value and how quickly you can sell your home. An agent should be able to help you with this information. Next you need to decide on an area in which you would like to live. .If you are looking at a tract style home, such as a Drees Home, Fisher etc. you will need to look at their developments in that area and see if the homes and the areas fit your needs and desires. If you are looking at building with a custom builder it doesn't hurt to sit down with the builders and discuss your desired home specifications, see what they have to offer and get an idea of the cost. If the custom builder doesn't have lots avaialble in the area, you will also need to locate a lot that works for you. The builder can give you a length of time it would take to complete a build on the property you acquire. Most can do it in three months, depending on the weather.Be sure to work with an established builder with a good reputation. You can check them out on the Better Business Bureau. You can also talk to people who have used the builder. Don't be afraid to ask the builder for references. It is important that , if you are plannning to use a realtor, you take them in on the first contact with the builder. Builders do not have a problem working with an agent if they begin the process. An agent probably will not get compensation if they are bought in after the fact. It is just as important to have representation on a new home build as it is on an existing home. Having a realtour protecting your interests will not affectt your cost on the home purchase as builders have this cost built in to the price.
As a former custom builder I would tell you it's time to start. From the time you break ground figure anywhere from 6-12 months to build the home depending on size, location, permitting issues in the area you're building in etc. You'll want to interview agents and builders and all of this takes time. You may also need to line up financing options which can be challenging unless the builder you work with has an established line of credit which is rare nowadays. Be certain to investigate the builder carefully to make certain their financially solvent and have a good reputation. I've included a link below on how to look for a Realtor.

I hope you enjoy the process it can be very exciting and rewarding to see the home of your dreams being built.
Hello
I would think if you are going with a custom builder you would want to start now on the lot research with an agent. Right now land prices are great but will rise with increased building activity.

If you are going with a bigger builder like Drees, Ryan, etc. there are limits on how long you can hold a lot before starting construction. In that case you might start researching builders and neighborhoods later this summer with a goal to break ground by January 2014.

It is an exciting undertaking but a good realtor can be a blessing.

Ross Kelly
513-608-1500
Good advise and knowledge from the realtor who have posted. Don't think I could add anything that has not already been stated. Good Luck in your venture.
You should check with the builder to see if they want to build on a lot outside of their community. I talked with one of the track home builders last week and they were reluctant to build out of their subdivision beacuse of scheduliing and unsure about demand for lots they already owned.
Check with a couple of the custom builders, like Potter hill, Freedon Homes, Schumacher Homes, TK Builders, Anderson Homes, etc., to name just a few. These companies are set up to build on your lot.
But do contact a Realtor. That way you willl have someone to guide you through the process, and help you find the special incentive "deals" when available. Note; Builders do not charge you more when you use a Realtor to assist you. They build our cost into their marketing expense.
If you have any further questions, you can contact me.
Steve Shields
513-236-3881
sshields@sibcycline.com
I agree with all of the realtors saying it is not to early now to start planning. now. In addition to selecting an area, lot and builder you will need to seek financing. If you are going to custom build, there are more steps involved and different lending requirements. Additionally, some builders offer market homes at a good value. I would love to help you and your husband. Call me and I would be happy to sit and talk with you about the process and find out what your hopes and desires are in your home. You can reach me at 513-382-9865 Tracy Muchmore Re/Max Results Plus.
Now!
I specialize in land sales and have this areas only web site for land sales "CincyLand.com"
Call or email me today at 513-721-LAND(5263)
mark@cincyland.com
We would like to live in White Oak or Monfort Heights. We have the builders narrowed down to Drees, Fischer, and Schneller. We have visited a Drees home and drove through a Fischer and Schneller community. If we do decide to buy a lot and have a builder (let's say for example Drees) build a home for us, are they less willing to make concessions (like finished basements, etc) because they don't own the property?
I work with several builders and most of them tell me that they can build their average home in 3-4 months, weather dictating! You need to decide most importantly if you want to find your own lot and get a custom built home on it or if you would be happy in a new subdivision. I must warn you that most of the best known builders no longer do on site building since it does not make them as much money as planned subdivisions. You may want to start looking at some of those subdivisions in an area that is attractive to you. Do you know what part of the Tri-state you will be looking in? Finding the part of town you want and establishing a budget are the first 2 steps. Visiting newly build houses and trying to pin point which builder is best for you is next. Meeting with the 2-3 builders you liked best would be next. Everyone is correct in telling you to start now: you have a lot of homework to do before we go meet a builder.
Call me if you want to go look at some new construction; 513 225 0045
Patricia
It isn;t too early to start. There is a lot of planning involved.
Web Reference: http://JimSellsHomes.com
The time to get started is NOW! You'll have to find a suitable lot, select a builder, choose and possibly modify a plan, decide on all the little details like counter-tops, finishes, appliances etc. Typically the builder will obtain all permits. It is a must to connect with a lender to start the process.
Now is time so you can evaluate lots and builders. That way you can have your game plan ready and possibly secure lot so it is there when you are ready to build. Dan Sullivan
You should probably contact a Realtor at least 9- 11 months in advance, a custom home will take longer to build, other builders will take about 6 months. You should always use an agent with New Construction experience. I worked for a builder for 6 years and so that is a nice niche for me since most agents have not had that experience.
I think I would start getting serious about Jan-Feb of 2014.