Home Buying in Fairfield>Question Details

Fairfieldbuy…, Home Buyer in Fairfield, CT

My husband and I work in Norwalk and Wilton; we have two small kids. Looking for a single house in Fairfield within 500k. Any suggested communities?

Asked by Fairfieldbuyer, Fairfield, CT Fri Jan 29, 2010

Where is the new train station located? Would it a good idea to find a house near it? We prefer a location easier to commute to Norwalk/Wilton and close to school. Thanks...

Answers

13
Hi Fairfieldbuyer,

Here is a map with all the Metro North stations in Fairfield County. You will be referring to the red line which is the New Haven line.

http://mta.info/mnr/html/mnrmap.htm

Robin Lynch
Keller Williams Realty Group
We live in the area between N.Benson Road, Black Rock Tpke and Jennings Road. There are a lot of great little neighborhoods in this area. Most of the houses in this area are single family and several different schools are nearby. Like all the schools in Fairfield, they can't be beat.

We are about 1 mile from the new train station, yet we are in a quiet area. It would be a quick bike ride. The new train station on Timko St, Fairfield, CT 06824
Link: <http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&…

Finding a house with room for 4 and within your budget is possible. You may need to do some fixing up to get into your price range. Thankfully Home Depot and several hardware stores are close by.

Getting to Wilton is easy using either the Merritt Pkwy or backroads. Norwalk is quick, except during peak commuting times.
Web Reference: http://www.heyfairfield.com
Consider your own comopund in Newtown. About a 30 minute commute to the country. wwwhattertownroad.com.
Fairfield Buyer:
Fairfield is a great town which offers so many different amenities to its residents. The new train station is an exciting addition on the east side of Fairfield. Housing in and around that area will be very convenient to the station. If you haven't begun your search yet with an agent, I would love the opportunity to work with you on identifying your needs and match you with an agent that specializes in Fairfield.
Melissa Riley
Office Leader, Prudential CT Realty
(203)253-9222
The new train station, Fairfield Metro Station is going to be near BJ, Simms, Starbucks and the cinema theaters in Fairfield and Bridgeport.
Hi . There is a new listing in Fairfield, in the university area on a cul de sac street and close to train station and I 95. It is a cape 3 bedrooms and 2 full bathrooms. It's listed for $499,000. Does that have interest for you? My contact information is:
Paula Murray
Wm Pitt Sottheby's International Realty
342 Pequot Ave
Southport, CT 06890
pmurray@wpsir.com
o-203 256.7700
c-203.526.4256
I have listed and sold in the town of Fairfield very actively over the past 6 years.. In regard to ideal neighborhoods in the $500's there are a few more desirable ones.... I see some homes have popped up in the prestigious Greenfield Hill area and a few in the Beach area in your range. Also many of my clients have enjoyed the Stratfield area. All are not a bad shot to Wilton or Norwalk. All of these wonderful neighborhoods offer their own nuance and one's preference is a very personal matter of taste.
(As an aside, there are homes now available in Wilton and Weston in the high $500's)
The Black Rock Train station, mentioned in a previous response, is not soon to be completed, as a matter of fact it is already several years off course..and it is in an industrial area
I am available by phone and in person to show you homes and get you started. i would be happy to set you up on a fantsatic home search tool which will allow us to get you organized with an interactive on-line file, making it possible for you to have first hand information, create a 'favorites' file, be alerted to price reductions, open houses, etc...and from which we can send notes back and forth attached to your properties of interest...you'll love it!
Call me at 203-218-6664 anytime, I always answer!
Thanks so much and I look forward to helping your family!
Lisa
PS see link to my bio and recent activity on the link below, fun reading for sure!
Fairfield is a fabulous town, but have you considered Norwalk or Wilton? There are currently many great buys in both towns. If you're interested I would welcome the opportunity to show you what your money would get you in Norwalk or Wilton and would welcome the opportunity to earn your business.
Warm regards,
Linda
The neighborhoods that you'll want to focus on that are near the current train station are Mill Plain and the University area.

The new train station has Black Rock (Bridgeport) to the south and east and Fairfield commercial properties to the North and West - at least within 20 minutes walking distance. I haven't heard any concrete news as to the new train station starting up anytime in the near future, so I don't know that I would bank on that right now.

Here is a list of available properties that fall into those neighborhoods as well as surrounding areas below $550,000. http://cmls.rexplorer.net/REX$PUB/69/DCHOATE/pub/_0291241539.htm

Hopefully that helps.

Dave
Excellent questions.

What is the farthest distance you are willing to travel to the train station? There are neighborhoods that are within walking distance to the current train station, however those locations go for more money because of the convenience for train commuters as well as proximity to the beach, shopping, and I-95.

If you're willing to drive a bit, the Stratfield section which is a bit north towards the Merritt and east towards the north end of Bridgeport will get you a bigger house for the money.

The new train station is located right on the Bridgeport/Fairfield line and is within walking distance to the Black Rock section of Bridgeport. It is also within walking distance to St. Mary's by the Sea - if you don't mind walking 15-20 minutes. It's also a five to seven minute ride to the current train station without traffic.
Fairfield is a great town, especially for families with small children: a lot of neighborhoods have block parties in the summer, there are Farmers’ Markets at the weekend, the school system is excellent and you have beautiful beaches, great restaurants and easy access to I 95!

The train station is located on Post Road (exit 21 from I 95), so great neighborhoods for you would be either the Beach area (south of Post Rd) or the University area (north of Post Rd). Houses in these two neighborhoods tend to be a bit pricier because of their proximity to I 95 and the train station, so if you need a bigger house with more bedrooms and a bigger backyard, I would suggest you look in the Stratfield/ Brooklawn area which is closer to the Merrit Parkway.

I would be happy to send you a couple of listings that might be of interest to you, so please feel free to either email -- jmocciolo@wpsir.com --- or call me --- 203 465 8066 –and maybe we can look at a couple of houses over the weekend!

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Jennifer Mocciolo

Real Estate Agent
William Pitt Sotheby’s International Realty
2000 Post Road
Fairfield, CT 06824

Office: 203 255 6101 ext. 354
Cell: 203 465 8066
jmocciolo@wpsir.com
I would be happy to help you find something in your price range.
Take a look at my website
http://hannelore.raveis.com/
Hannelore
203-653-6619
kaplanh@raveisre.com
feldmanm@raveisre.com Mike Felman....the guy is good!!!