Home Buying in Tampa>Question Details

Shbrooks77, Home Buyer in Oldsmar, FL

My husband and I short sold our house. My name was on the deed but not on the Mortage. Can I get a mortgage loan in my name?

Asked by Shbrooks77, Oldsmar, FL Mon Dec 5, 2011

Answers

9
Most underwriters will want to know who paid for your previous house. If you don't have canceled rent checks then they will check the status of the old home by asking for a copy of the HUD-1 (since your name was on the deed). From the HUD-1 they will know it was a shortsale and deny the mortgage.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 5, 2011
The consensus seems to be yes, no and maybe. As others have suggested your best bet would be to talk with several local lenders to get get a direct answer from someone who can actually verify your credit and give you an answer per your specific situation!
YES! I am also a mortgage broker, would be happy to assist you with financing and finding your next home
Shbrooks77, Best way to find out if it is reported on your credit history is to have it pulled when you apply for a mortgage. It depends how it was reported by the lender.
Hi SH Brooks,

I have a client that actually just closed on a Short Sale a month ago and GTE Credit Union is giving him a mortgage!

Contact GTE Credit Union or if you got it alone, your husband's income wouldn't be able to be used to qualify for your mortgage.

Also if a credit union cannot get you a mortgage, we also have a great program you may be able to go through:

https://www.nacalynx.com/nacaWeb/purchase/purchaseProgram.as…

Just make sure to have your Realtor sign you up with NACA or she may have to give a large portion of the commission to NACA.

If you're not yet working with a Realtor, I would be happy to assist you. Visit my website to sign up for a free Listingbook account and you can browse all listings "like a Realtor".

Alma
Alma Rose Kee PA
Future Home Realty
http://www.SoldOnTampa.com
813.244.9898
Good Morning! If the mortgage/note was not in your name, then it would not be reflected on your credit reports. You definitely should contact a mortgage broker of your choice to discuss your specific scenario in terms of your full credit report and your current debt to income ratios. Once you are pre-qualified, you should be good to go house hunting! Best Wishes!

Laurie Dykeman, Realtor
Cornerstone Properties & Investments, LLC
Laurie@MyTampaHomeTeam.com
813-263-2211
I agree with the rest, call a mortgage lender and have them pre-approve you. Let me know if you need a few references of great lenders.

Liane Jamason, REALTOR, CDPE
Smith & Associates Real Estate
727-755-3325
Web Reference: http://www.LianeJamason.com
Hi Mrs. Brooks,

I have a couple of questions to ask you.

1. Was your name on the 1003 Mortgage Application?
2. Was your name on the Note?

If you answer no to these two questions then you're okay. If you answered yes to the questions, then you would not be able to purchase for 2 years after your short sale. Talk to a mortgage lender/broker though to make sure you are able to purchase.

With regard to your mortgage, all spouses in the State of Florida have to sign the mortgage and truth and lending statement. Check your mortgage to make sure.

Hope this information helps. Take care.
The short sale should not have affected your credit and therefore your ability to get a loan. The best way to answer this question is to speak with a mortgage provider and ask them to pre-qualify you.