Home Buying in Fairfax>Question Details

Leora, Home Owner in San Francisco County,...

My husband and I live & work in the city but have been thinking about making the northward migration- how's the commute to the city from Fairfax?

Asked by Leora, San Francisco County, CA Sun Nov 4, 2012

Answers

7
Blind Reggie Einaudi’s answer
The other responses are being "kind".

Commuting from Fairfax can be a bear. Think 15-30 minutes just to get between the HUB in San Anselmo and Fairfax at top commute hours. That's only about 2 miles.
I haven't commuted to the city for years but I go to southern Marin at 8:30-9:00 most days to the tennis club or the yacht club. My advice: Leave before seven to the city and you will have limited to no trraffic. Coming home the rush hour starts at about 2:00PM, go figure.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 15, 2014
Leora

Here is my advice...

To be very clear, the commute that you are asking about can be tough if you are driving into SF 8-9:45am and back during the 3:45- 6:30pm time.

I do not mean to discourage you from Marin but I'm sure the reason you want to move here is probably to improve your quality of life, not add to your level of stress and increase time in the driver's seat. Any agent or friend telling you something different is really not looking out for you.

If you have to commute south, consider being in Southern or Central Marin if at all possible.

If on the other hand you have a 'flex-time' option or you can work at home, than by all means ... Fairfax might just be the ticket! The best new market in Marin (in my opinion), the Good Earth resides in Fairfax. Wonderful houses, cute town and bike friendly.

Better yet, do a dry run a couple of times in the same time frames you need to commute. That way you will know for sure. It is much better to take a day or two off for an experiment than making the mistake of buying in the wrong location.

Want more friendly advice? Email me at dan.nebenzahl@cbnorcal.com

If anyone else has a different experience please share it.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 4, 2012
There are LOTS of folks that commute to the city. A lot depends on whether you are going by car, carpool, bus, ferry and or bike. My hubby commutes in two days a week to Mountain view. He takes his bike to the ferry and then bikes to Cal Train. That seems a bit much. The city is a piece of cake in comparision. Can you telecommute any days? Can you commute at skewed hours? School hours are not ideal time to be sitting in a car on Sir Francis Drake Blvd...I used to go from Fairfax to Geary and Gough at 6:30 am and it took me less than 30 minutes. But, not so an hour later. Does that help?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 4, 2012
Many locations in Fairfax are far off the beaten path, so a lot depends on the location and the time that you would need to arrive in San Francisco. The best thing for you to do is to try a few test drives from your desired location to satisfy yourselves with the timing. There are two main streets out of Fairfax to the hub in San Anselmo and more than one way from the hub to the freeway. There is also public transportation by bus and ferry, so you have a lot of choices.

Let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Mary Kay and Kathy
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 4, 2012
Commute varies on the time of day. There are two ways to get from Fx to the freeway.
One is out SFD Blvd and then either out the Miracle Mile or stay on SFD. The other is out on
Center to either SFD or the Miracle Mile. If you go early enough, before 8 am, the commute is not bad but otherwise it can be congested and take a while. Schools, two lanes, traffic lights, etc. 45minutes ++.
I think it will take at least 20 minutes to get to the freeway then what ever the traffic is to get to the city and then to your destination in the city.
There is also the Ferry from Larkspur which take 30-45 minutes to the Ferry Bldg in SF.
Need to get there early for free parking.
However the commute may be well worth it. Fairfax is a wonderful town , really the only one left of the old Marin feel. Lots of community, good schools, restaurants, Good Earth store, theatre and warm weather.
Let me know if I can help get you any more info you may need.

Moe Rubinstein
415 828-7780 t/c
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 4, 2012
Depending on where you are in Fairfax and what time of day you will be driving, you can figure anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour. Sir Francis Drake can be slow during commute times and there are a few schools along the way which can get busy during beginning and end of school. You also have the Larkspur Ferry option, too. Feel free to contact me for specific questions, I make the drive from Greenbrae to Fairfax often enough.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 4, 2012