Home Buying in Safety Harbor>Question Details

Laura, Both Buyer and Seller in 48167

My husband and I have 3 kids under the age of 9. We are looking to relocate to Pinnellas County but still

Asked by Laura, 48167 Thu Jun 25, 2009

haven't quite decided on the town. We value education, but we also would really appreciate living in or near a quaint downtown area with family oriented activities and cultural events. We also want it to be a safe place to bring up our children. Palm Harbor, Safety Harbor, Dunedin, and even the east side of Clearwater have all been recommended to us by different people. So far we like both Dunedin and Safety Harbor but we've only been there for short visits. Are we looking in the right places? Any advice which area would be best for a young family of 5? Thank you!

Answers

14
Safety Harbor is a great place to raise kids. It has great schools and great programs for extra curricular actives (soccer, basketball, scouts,baseball etc) for any age group. We raised our kids here in Northbay hills of Safety Harbor. We are moving out of state. Here's the MLS if you are interested.. MLS 7431777

MLS#7431777 Bedrooms: 4
Full Baths: 2
City: Safety Harbor
Sq/Ft: 2361
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 25, 2010
Safety Harbor is a wonderful place to live with plenty of entertainment for all. There are several festivals throughout the year including the Seafood Festival, Chalk Art Festival, Harbor Sounds Music Festival, 4th of July celebration, Farmers Market and that's just the immediate downtown area. There is a marina, plenty of parks, bike paths and an active community center for organized activities from young children to adults. I would be happy to go over even more. Please feel free to call me for more details or if you want to go see some homes. I also have 2 kids in school and can tell you about the different schools in the area. All of the areas you mentioned are very good.

Ellie (727) 474-6014
Future Home Realty
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 25, 2009
Hi Laura!

Great choice deciding on Pinellas County for your family. I personally lived in Dunedin for 11 years and am now in Palm Harbor. The great news in all the towns you mentioned is that they are all very close together which makes it easy to do all the fun things in any town that are going on! With 3 kids under 9 I would think one of your biggest concerns would be the schools. The Pinellas County Department of Education website is a great place to start to check out the local schools. They have done away with the Choice Program and have reinstituted the close to home school policy in placing students.

Dunedin is on the Gulf side of the county. The Pinellas Trail runs along the west side of the county from Tarpon Springs to the southern end of the county and runs right through downtown. This is for biking, blading, skating, walking etc. Dunedin has a great downtown with restaurants and shops. It also has a brand new community center, public pool, and the Dunedin Fine Arts Center. Honeymoon Island is a state park off the Dunedin Causeway with beautiful beaches and nature trails.

Palm Harbor is just north of Dunedin and has a little downtown area as well with shops and restaurants. The trail also runs right by here. It is a great family community as well.

Safety Harbor is also a similarly great town on the bay side of the county. (like I said all are in close proximity). This town is closer to the Tampa Area so of course you want to consider your commute to work in the equation.

I could go on and on of course but I will not. Their are fabulous choices in each town and it will really depend on your preferences of course. I recommend another trip here of course to get the feel for the area.

Best of luck to you and please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions.

Have a great day!

Patty Neri
Keller WIlliams Realty
727-278-8084 - cell
Web Reference: http://www.pattyneri.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 25, 2009
Hello Laura,
If you haven't considered Seminole FL (Pinellas County)
you should. Great school system. There is the Pinellas Trail, for
bike riding, walking, running....Close to the beach........
I moved to Seminole in 1976 and then moved to Indian Shores in 1998.
You and your family will love it here.
Leslie Kaye Future Home Realty
I live in Safety Harbor and like it. It is very convenient for hospital, doctors and shopping. Hope this helps- good luck.
Why in gods name pinellas county...florida none the less??!!!!
Dear Laura,

You may also want to consider the Westchase area of Tampa, zip 33626. Excellent schools, convenient location and there is also Westpark Village with shopping and The Avenue at Westchase with restaurants.

Alma
Alma Rose Kee, P.A.
Charles Rutenberg Realty, Inc.
813.244.9898
http://www.SoldOnTampa.com
Dear Laura,

Safety Harbor is a nice safe place to raise a family. It has a village like atmosphere and great public schools. It is also centrally located to everything in Pinellas and Hillsborough Counties.

I have a really nice 4/2/2 with a pool on a cul-de-sac for sale by owner with kids of similar ages if your interested. We are moving to NY when school starts.

Jim Lattimore
727-735-3936
For schools the website for Pinellas Schools is http://www.pinellas.k12.fl.us

It seems as though you are looking for a quaint downtown area. Dunedin has a quaint downtown offering a variety of restaurants and convenient access to the Pinellas Trail. Tarpon Springs which is north of Dunedin has a small town charm as well and offers convenient access to the Pinellas Trail.

Palm Harbor is nice too so so far it seems as though you are looking in the right places. I would add Tarpon Springs into your search too since its downtown in similar to Dunedin in that it has a quaint small town charm.

~ Lana
Hi Laura,
well it looks like you got several anwsers below if you would like me to run numbers for you on a specific house please feel free to give me a call. Happy Searching!'

Melissa Antenucci
561-417-9221
Ameritrust Mortgage Associates
I believe living near downtown Dunedin gives you the most answers you are looking for. This offers the widest variety of homes and lifestyles to choose from. The downtown culture, arts, special events and comunity organizations are broad with the family in mind. In recent years property values in this area reflected the high demand. You have a rare opportunity now to find the perfect home. The downtown Dunedin surroundings offer your family unmatched life experiences and lifetime opportunities. School information can be found at http://www.pinellascounty.org/school.htm. Further solutions should be discussed at your buyer consultation with your Realtor. Contact me if I can help with that as well as advice on selling your current home.
Laura,
Moving to a new community is both exciting and stressful. I try my very best to make it a truly exciting adventure for everyone in the family. The communities you have identified all have 'personality' based on a core downtown area, active arts community, events for the young and old, and attractions to keep your days filled. With three active young ones, access to parks and attractions are essenctial. That identifies Pinellas County to a T.
My 25 cent tour allows visitors to visit area attractions, schools, parks, best kept secrets and experience the
magic of getting up close and personal with natural Florida. Many area attractions and events can be seen at:
http://www.youtube.com/sunshinehomes

Palm Harbor University High School is one of two International Baccalaureate highschools in Pinellas County.

When you are ready, call for your 25 cent tour. It's a great orientation to the best in Florida lifestyle and even a peek at a few homes, give me a call.
Annette Lawrence
ReMax ACR Elite Group, Inc
727. 420. 4041
Web Reference: http://www.mydunedin.com
Laura,
Have you looked in Sarasota county? If a safe environment for your family is a great factor in your search you should look at the census information for the towns in question. Sarasota County schools are A-rated () and most of Sarasota itself has a very suburban feel. There is also a great downtown area which is great for nightlife, beaches, shopping, and business. Not to mention Siesta Key beach is considered one of the best beaches in the country, due to the white sand which is as fine as baby powder. Look into the area if you haven't already. Contact me if I can assist you in any way. Good luck with your move!
Geoffrey Gurevich
Bosshardt Realty Inc.
(941) 914-8308
ggurevich@bosshardtrealty.com
Laura,

I think you've been given some good advice regarding where to consider buying. Any one of the towns mentioned would be a safe bet. I've lived in Safety Harbor for almost 20 years so I'm a bit prejudiced. As a tie breaker, the location is the best of the bunch. From SH you can easily get to most parts of Pinellas County as well as both airports, International Mall & the Westshore areas of Tampa & even parts of North Hillsborough in 30-40 minutes max. Safety Harbor & Dunedin are both more like small town midwest USA than they are many of the communities around here. SH has several events geared towards families & family oriented events.

Welcome to the area, regardless of which town you choose.

If I can be of any further help in your search just call or email.

Jim Moran
Broker Associate/Realtor
Prudential Tropical Realty
727-799-2227 ext 223 C 727-278-4711
jimdmoran@tampabay.rr.com