Home Buying in Dayton>Question Details

Rachael Lacr…, Home Buyer in Texas

My husband and I are moving to WPAFB in 2010 and need to sell our Florida home. I have no idea where to look

Asked by Rachael Lacross, Texas Sun Sep 14, 2008

for homes. We have 1 son in elementary school and would like something either with a lot of acreage or in historical neighborhood. Any suggestions?

Answers

14
Hi Rachael!

I just wanted to follow-up and ask if you are still moving to the Dayton, Ohio area? If so, then I am sure you have more specific questions now. Please feel free to contact me at anytime.

P.S. Are you in Texas or Florida? My husband is based at WPAFB, but often works at Eglin AFB. However, there are many military personnel moving here from TX currently.

P.S. Ask about the FREE Sale GUARANTEE Plan and FREE Job Loss Mortgage Payment Coverage.

Christina Asad Edwards
Realtor, RRS, eAgent, Recruitment/Development Manager
Christina.Asad@RealLiving.com
Office 937-573-0082
Cell/Text 937-205-4741
http://www.DaytonOhioHouse.com
Real Living Realty Services
One of the fastest-growing real estate franchisors in the nation.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 4, 2009
Hi Rachel,
Like you I'm an Air Force wife who had the joy of seeing the world because of my husbands career. Welcome to the Miami Valley next year. The area is diverse and has much to offer. Although by law I can't say that you should look in a certain area or areas, (it's called steering and is illegal) I can provide you with information or links to the information you'll need when it comes time for you to purchase your new home. I've lived here a total of about 11 years, (two different tours) and know the area well. Please call me so we can get to know each other better and I can find out what you're looking for in a new home.
Jo Beth Bryant
Coldwell Banker Heritage Realtors
937-919-0167
jobeth.bryant@coldwellbanker.com
Rachel,
There is one fantastic family neighborhood in Dayton and that is Oakwood City- tree lined streets, marvelously kept classic houses, award winning schools. Lots of WPAFB personnel live here. Kids love it. Everyone bikes or walks to school. The west side has larger more expensive homes on 1 acre hilly lots. The east side has smaller lots, a variety of housing styles and prices, flat terrain, wonderful sidewalks. Residents are always outside walking dogs, jogging, going to games at the High School. The city maintains the boulevards, picks up trash at your back door and plows the sidewalks after snow storms. Taxes are higher, but you get so much more- great house resale value, 3 minute response time for fire/ambulance/police, community center, athletic fields. Check us out on the web.
Hi Rachael!

In addition, I have Dayton Ohio Community Guides that have everything you want to know including school information. Would you like for me to mail you one? I know it can be tough getting acquainted with a new area. My husband moved to the area from Alaska for a job at WPAFB also. We have a lot of people moving into the area to work at WPAFB. I am always getting phone calls from out of state home buyers moving here due to jobs at WPAFB! Please feel free to contact me at anytime.

Christina Asad Edwards, REALTOR
Christina.Asad@RealLiving.com
http://www.teamedwards.info
mobile or text 937-205-4741
office 937-573-0082
fax 937-433-3561
Real Living Realty - #1 in OHIO!
Realty, Mortgage, Title, Relocation
Rachael,

Have you read about the Homeowners Assistance Program HAP? Here is a link to the information:
http://hap.usace.army.mil/homepage.html
I hope this is helpful,

Susan Morris
Good Morning Rachael,

Suzanne has provided us all with a fabulous resource! It's wonderful how military families tend to help each other out this way. Right now I'm working with a man who has 2 bronze stars as well as a purple heart. It's truly an honor to provide my services to someone who has done so much for me, my children and grandchildren. I am so grateful for the sacrifices our military makes and want to express my personal thanks to all of you.

It sounds as if Suzanne may have had a less than stellar experience in the past so let me begin by apologizing for that. I would never consider pressuring someone into a transaction! That implies coercing a client into something that wasn't in their best interest.

We never know when a past client will reenter our lives. As I was being wheeled into the operating room for surgery years ago, I looked up to see my very first client from back in the '70's. She was to be my OR nurse. I was so glad I had taken such good care of her because I knew she would do the same for me!

For Valentine's Day, one of my clients popped in with a beautiful arrangement of flowers from her and her family. Another couple took me out for an expensive dinner with a lovely gift of perfume. My clients, generally speaking, become my friends. They are very loyal because they know I have their best interests at heart at all times. I've found that if I treat people the way I would want to be treated then success will come to me. That applies to every aspect of my life.

When you're ready, the Dayton area has so many great Realtors to work with. I hope you will give one of us the opportunity to show you the services we can provide.

Susan
browse a well-known military moving site called militarybyowner.com

it is full of houses for rent or sale in areas all over the country by military members. you can talk to people who have "been there, done that" and get a real feel for the area without the real estate sales person pressure. we found it very helpful during all of our PCS's. hope this helps!!

susanne smith (not affiliated with the site at all, just a fan/user)
Hi Rachael
I have 2 great things to offer you! We are native Daytonians that currently reside in Florida. We have been in real estate in Both areas! We have a son that is stationed at MacDill and was at WPAFB.
We would love to offer our assistance w/your real estate needs! Please don't hesitate to contact us!
Kimberly & Michael Monday
Keller Williams Tampa Properties
813-758-1857 or 813-892-2481
kimonday@msn.com
http://www.tamparealtor4u.com
Rachael,

David is absolutely right! You should interview the Realtor you choose, after doing your home work on the internet. When I'm referring a client to an Realtor in another area, I interview them prior to introducing them to each other.

I look forward to meeting you,

Susan
susan.morris@coldwellbanker.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 22, 2008
Please don't pick an agent based on their companies market share or because they say they are #1. Please take the time and interview all agents responding, that way you can make an informed decision. I am not in either one of the markets you are buying or selling in but if you want,email me and I will provide a list of questions for you to ask the agents to help you through this process.

david@greatbeachagent.com
Hi Rachael,

Let me extend a warm welcome to the Miami Valley! It's a wonderful place to raise a family. We have so much variety to offer which I'm sure is why WPAF was one of the chosen few. We are already feeling the impact of families coming into the area.

If you a part of the BRAC realignment, I might suggest that you consider using our USSA Relocation Department. Our relocation network can work with you to coordinate and facilitate the sale of your home in Florida as well as your house hunting in the Dayton area. Our Business Development Team is also involved with this massive undertaking. They recently went to San Antonio to meet with families who are relocating from Robbins AFB. Use this link to visit our relocation information: http://www.coldwellbankerdayton.com/

Our brokerage, Coldwell Banker Heritage Realtors, is among the top 85 largest real estate brokerages in the country. We have a market share approaching 20% in the Dayton area with over 300 Realtors and a support and corporate staff of almost 100. Our 10 offices serve all areas of the Miami Valley for your convenience.

It would be my pleasure to introduce you to my adopted home town,

Susan Morris
Coldwell Banker Heritage Realtors
(937) 510-1248
http://www.homesforsaledayton.com
susan.morris@coldwellbanker.com
Hi Rachel,

We are excited to introduce the communities around WPAFB with you. My wife and I love helping military families with their move to the area.

As you know, getting your Florida home sold quickly and at a great price is very important. We are Number 1 Experts and would be happy to help you find an agent in Florida who is an expert in marketing your home to get the most money for your current home.

As far as your move to Wright Patt, there are many options as has been mentioned by others. Many military personnel like Beavercreek because of the proximity to the base. For historic homes with old fashion charm and neighborhoods you might look into Oakwood. For country living, many find many options priced fairly in Greene County.

We would be happy to chat with you about specifics or to set up searches for you. The Ohio Department of Education provide annual report cards on all Ohio School Districts. On our website there is a school crossing sign that links to school information.

Here are two testimonies from our most recent clients who were moving to WPAFB....

"We are a military family and didn't know any one in the local area. I found Cyndi online, during a property information request. Several months before we moved from LA to Ohio, Cyndi answered so many questions about the local area and schools - questions she had to research and really didn't have to answer. She went out of her way to make us feel welcome and provided a lot of information. She sent houses for us to review and had houses set up when we arrived. We've had several Realtors before, but none even come close to Cyndi. If you are looking for a Realtor - Cyndi should be your number #1 choice. Thank you for making our family feel at "home" and helping us find our home!" - Dave & Tracie Bennett, Beavercreek Ohio

"Patience and flexibility are just two of the many characteristics Don and Cyndi bring to the real estate journey. In a matter of five days, we toured many, many properties. The selections (based on what we desired) were limited. Don & Cyndi patiently guided us through the process. At one point, Don turned us loose on the office computers so we could search through listings at our own pace - we appreciated the flexibility. This is a great team. They are real people that you can talk to. We definately recommend their services." - Susan & Mike Gill, military relocation to Wright Patterson Air Force Base

Call, email, or text anytime.

Don & Cyndi Shurts
RE/MAX VICTORY
1-888-278-0295 (Toll Free # directly to Cyndi's phone)
cyndi@WelcomeHomeDayton.com
Our website: http://www.MiamiValleyDreamHomes.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 2, 2008
The Dayton area is pretty diverse. I think you will want to take several things into consideration, but since you have a young son, the first priority may be to look into school systems, and see which best suits your son's needs. From there, it's deciding on the type/style of home that works for you. Then we'll see what's in your price range in the areas you like. The Dayton area is fairly well laid out, so it's relatively easy to, say, get to the base from several different routes.

Should you choose an historical area, that could involve close to Dayton itself or one of several small towns in the vicinity. This may be a good option as the schools tend to be smaller, and there's more of a "country feel" to the area, and possibly find that quaint older home on a couple of acres!

Susan Busch
Keller Williams Advantage Real Estate
937.776.0047
Hi Rachael!

There are a lot of great areas surrounding WPAFB with the criteria you mentioned. If you go on Google maps then you can do Streetview and see the specific homes that are for sale. Please let me know if you need additional help.

Christina Asad Edwards, REALTOR
2006 & 2007 Sales Masters Top Agent
Christina.AsadEdwards@RealLiving.com
http://www.teamedwards.info
mobile or text 937-205-4741
office 937-573-0082
fax 937-433-3561
Real Living Realty - #1 in OHIO!
Realty, Mortgage, Title, Relocation