Home Buying in Levittown>Question Details

Smitty112, Home Buyer in Yonkers, NY

My husband and I are looking to relocate to Levittown from Yonkers, Westchester. We are a single income

Asked by Smitty112, Yonkers, NY Wed May 6, 2009

family with a small baby and 1 on the way. Last time we checked our cwas in the 780's. We are looking for a commute friendly small house, a cape or ranch in the $250-$300 range. We are not looking for glamorous, just a decent neighborhood to raise our children and a nice block. we are also looking for reasonable taxes, something below the 7K range is preferable, if at all possible. This will be our 3rd home purchase, but our first HOUSE purchase, so I need someone who can break own costs, what to expect, etc. I am an expert at this point on coops, but totally new to house buying. What costs are associate with closing?

Answers

7
Brittany Dean’s answer
Hello, Congrats on all your wonderful blessings. I am a realtor in Wantagh, New York and pair up as a mother daughter team with my mother Lucie who has been an agent for a number of years. We both would love to help you out to find a home. I recently was searching for homes in Levittown in that exact range with a similar requirement for tax rates. I do have quite a few homes I would be able to show you so if you would like to either email me at bdean526@aol.com or give either me, Brittany, or my mother, Lucie a call. My number is 516-376-2580 and Lucie's cell is 516-353-9965. Feel free to contact anytime and we will be happy to dedicate our time to help you out in your house hunt! Hope to hear from you soon
Okay Smitty, I hope by now you are a neighbor of ours. Have lived in Levittown for 30 years. Came from the BX/Yonkers area. Levittown is Young family friendly. We have Community Pools and Parks everywhere you look. Little League for every sport and Excellent schools. We do not have alot of commercial property. Hempstead Tpke is it. The community was built without many straight through roads. It might seem you are traveling in circles. The community was built this way to make it safe for the children. Owning a home here is reasonable. Considering we have great access to Beeches (less then ten miles) and every major roadway is nearby.. Hicksville and Wantagh train station within a few miles and major airports within twenty miles and of course Manhattan aprox 30 miles away.
To run your home you will need to be mindful of taxes, insurance and heating fuel. These are the big three which you really have very little control over. Taxes here are high. Basic cape figure about $700. Insurance about $75. and heat and electric about the same. All in all aprox $1000.per month. Try to start the all important on no fund. These are old homes and things do go wrong. expect to put atleast $200 per month into a fund for this purpose.
Good Luck and I hope to see your family at the pool.
WOW!
This is a very exciting time for you, and your family. Small baby, baby on the way (when are you due?) AND a house!! CONGRATULATIONS!
You do have a lot of important life changing things going on.
If you are looking in the Levittown NY area, I would love to help you out. I am from the area and very familiar with the neighborhood and Long Island in general. There is a free site called Listingbook (by invitation only) that makes searching houses fun! If you are interested I am attaching a link to the site for you to play with. I think it will help to make your house search very enjoyable. If you have any questions, feel free to email, text or call anytime. 516 769 6319 Real estate and helping people find their house, to call their home is what I enjoy doing.
I look forward to helping you and your family find your home.
Audra
My recommendation is to start with a mortgage broker who can break down all the purchasing costs, fees, etc...generally speaking, have 4-5% of the purchase price on hand to close.

As you are located in Westchester, I can make the search a little easier for you. I will be happy to provide you with access to a program called "Listing Book." It covers the complete area covered by the Long Island Board of Realtors and is very easily manipulated. It will allow you to input all of your criteria, in any area you wish to look and will give back everything that is available in your price range. It will then notify you of new listings or changes in asking prices.

At any time, you can widen or change your search and/or criteria. This service does not lock you into any one Realtor...I just offer it out to help folks such as yourselves.

If this of any interest to you, email me at Gail@GailGladstone and I will set you up.
Web Reference: http://GailGladstone.com
You have some good options--Your closing costs will of course depend on your type of mortgage; will you be paying points or not, attorney fees; and of course what gets credited to the seller at the time of closing--such as pre-paid taxes, utilities, etc.

if you need assistance please feel free to call or e-mail, know the area well.
Anna
917-576-5376
abrocco@laffey.com
Hi There,
When you say "commuter Friendly" what exactly do you mean? How much travel time/distance would you be comfortable with and where is the job location?I can easily help you with what you are describing here in Orange County. MANY commute from here for that reason! I have been in the business since the early 80's and love working with first time buyers..in your case, not your true first time, but will be for a house from what you say... Please give me a call, I would love to help you.....if Orange, or Rockalnd are too far, I am part of my relocation team and I can easily connect you with an agent to help you were ever you want to look. It only takes about a day, This is a FREE service I am offering you...so do take me up on it! :).

I do hope to hear from you soon. Call anytime, or text me.... 845-401-1448
my email: lisa.brodsky@coldwellbanker.com
to look at homes: http://www.currierandlazier.com/lbrodsky

My Best Regards,
Lisa Brodsky
Broker Associate
Coldwell Banker Currier and Lazier REALTORS
Smitty112

Based on your location we are guessing that you mean Levittown New York. However you should consider Levittown Pennsylvania. The homes are affordable and it is an easy commute to NYC on the NJT northeast corrider line. If PA would work for your contact us for listing information.

Good Luck in you search.