Home Buying in Bellevue>Question Details

fusciaskies, Home Buyer in Bellevue, WA

My husband and I are looking to buy a family home in Bellevue/Kirkland/Redmond. Can you recommend some neighborhoods for a $800k budget?

Asked by fusciaskies, Bellevue, WA Sun Oct 21, 2012

We are looking for a good school district, with easy access highways that would be a good as an investment and primary home. Also, what types of mortgages, if any, are available for foreigners (we are Canadian) wanting to invest in US real estate? We are currently looking into a mortgage (we are customers of an international bank) but want to see if there are any other competitive rates available for us. Thank you!

Answers

12
Dan Chapman’s answer
The Bellevue Kirkland areas are great. I lived in Kirkland for 26 years and the location and schools are great. You can't go wrong with either of them, also Redmond is nice but a bit further out.
Alot of it depends on where you work and what you are looking for. I am a Loan officer for the
Legacy Group based out of Bellevue so if you want to chat about programs and rates let me know
we do loans for canadians all the time. My email is dan.chapman@legacyG.com

All the best, Dan
H fusciaskies,

There are many neighborhoods in the Bellevue/Kirkland/Redmond area that meet your parameters. Bellevue has two high schools that have been recenlty rated in the top 100 in the US. The schools in Bellevue shcool district and Lake Washington (which includes Kirkland and Redmond) are also award winning.

The best way for me to give you a good answer is for you to click on http://www.buyandsellseattlerealestate.com . At that site, you will find easy to use search options, demographics and school information for each area you choose.

I have sold this "Eastside" area for over 20 amazing years, so am happy to answer any detailed questions you may have. I also have a couple of lenders to whom I can refer you if you end up needing more mortgage assistance.

Warm regards,
Karen
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 21, 2012
YOu have a lot of advice already below so there is really no need to repeat what they have said. Bottom line is that all those areas have wonderful schools & wonderful neighborhoods & where you decide to live will depend on exactly what sort of neighborhood you specifically like. That can only be determined when you are here. I would recommend that you come for a visit long enough that you can go around & look at homes in different neighborhoods. No one can know your exact tastes other then you. I would love to help you with this decision while you are here if you so desire. As to the schools, they are all wonderful. Even Kenmore, which you did not mention, was rated 2 years ago by Family Circle magazine as one of the top 10 cities in the United States to raise a family.

As to loan possibilities, I am a loan originator as well as real estate & would be happy to discuss options with you. There are too many questions I have to ask you before I can give you an answers. Fell free to contact me directly if you would like to do that.

Good luck to you in any case,
Jirius Isaac
Isaac Real Estate Team
Champions Real Estate Services
TriStar Finance #MLO-107799
Office: 425-483-6849 Cell: 206-841-9976
Winner of Seattle Magazines 5 Star
Real Estate Agent Best in Client Satisfaction Award
Mortgage Loan Originator Best in Client Satisfaction
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 21, 2012
Fusciaskies,
Welcome to the States! You have some great choices in the cities you selected. Bellevue has its own school district and Redmond & Kirkland (along with northern Sammamish) share the Lake Washington School Districts. Within Bellevue there is a greater quality difference from their top performing elementary schools to their other schools. There are also some specialty programs in each district that may appeal to you and your kids needs. I’ve attached a link to a site that will allow you to compare individual schools to one another. If you have specific needs or preferences, let one of us know and we can assist you in the neighborhoods which are around the schools with the programs.
As a formerly licensed lender, I know our system well and would be happy to translate our mortgage requirements for you. My wife is Canadian so I realize there are some differences that don’t always make sense. Let us know if we can help.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 21, 2012
My advice would be to keep your options open, and consider homes in all parts of all three city addresses. When you restrict your choices you make it less likely you'll find that house that you really love. And presumably, if you see a neighborhood you don't like, you'll know it.

Stated differently, by restricting your search you're more likely to miss a house you'd love than you are to buy in a neighborhood you don't like.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 21, 2012
The Bellevue community is pretty good for all schools in area zip codes 98004,98006
You can find a lot of usable info on a site about neighborhood requested neighborhoods:

About Bellevue: http://www.bestbellevueteam.com/local/bellevue/
About Redmond: http://www.bestbellevueteam.com/local/redmond/
About Kirkland: http://www.bestbellevueteam.com/local/kirkland-wa/
Estside Area real estate : http://www.bestbellevueteam.com/idx/city/bellevue/

and if you go by local search you will be able to see different communities like Medina, downtown Bellevue, Clyde Hill....
Let me know when you in area if I can help, my office located in downtown Bellevue.
As a Realtor® Certified International Property Specialist, I assure you that there are a few - but reliable - sources of mortgages for Canadian nationals.

The US Fair Housing Act specifically prohibits real estate licensees from providing information on the basis of familial content - we have to treat singles equally with households of a dozen - so it's touchy to talk about "family homes." Still - with the right local real estate broker, this can be an easy transaction for you.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 21, 2012
All the school districts east of Lake Washington are good: Bellevue, Issaquah, and Lake Washington (Kirkland and Redmond). If you had a very young child entering Kindergarten, you might enroll him or her in Bellevue's Spanish Immersion program. In that case, I might look toward the Somerset neighborhood.

If you have kids that have already learned some French, there's a private French immersion school up to grade 5 on the Bellevue/Issaquah boundary:

French Immersion School of Washington
http://www.fisw.org/

MLS #388145 might be a good base for that school.

Bellevue has three high schools that regular rank in the top 100 nationally on the US News list of best high schools. Among those is the International School, which has an emphasis on French or German languages from 6th through 12th grades.

International School
http://www.bsd405.org/international/about/school-at-a-glance…

The ideal neighborhood for that school would be Kelsey Creek. I don't see anything for sale there at the moment. Look at MLS #406687 on nearby Woodridge.
You would love Kirkland - especially Houghton, West of Market, East of Market. You are more liekly to land in Houghton in the $800k range. The schools are great. Lakeview Elem is fantastic in Houghton. I know people who have taken their kids out of private school and put them in the KSD and wished they'd done it years earlier. The area is safe, walk friendly and the downtoan area is centrally located around the lake, shops, and restaurants. Kirkland itself is a good bet for commuting. It sits between Redmond (MIcrosoft) and Bellevue (Microsoft, Expedia and more) and you can easily hop on 405, I-90 or 520 from anywhere in Kirkland. It's economically strong, I would call it affluent, and home values did fairly well during the recession. Kirkland is also home to a Google campus and we're about tear down a shpping center to make way for a larger Google campus. That wil be great for home values.

I am not sure about actual home mortgages (I'm the house, they are the money) but Cobalt Mortgage and Guild Mortgage are 2 popular mortgage brokers in Kirkland who can help you.

I work for a company that specializes in relocation and is the sister company of Brookfield, the 2nd largest global relocation company in the world. Let me know if you'd like a relocation packet.

Jennifer Nilssen, Real Living NW
Hello, I have helped many clients in purchasing homes in the Bellevue/Kirkland/Redmond areas. I have already done the research on the schools and have a great deal of info to pass on to you. Although these three cities have great schools, there are definitely schools that excel far more than others. Within these areas, there are great opportunities for you in your price range. You will be pleasantly surprised with what you will find on the market right now. I would love an opportunity to talk with you and see what your needs are for the home so that I may narrow down a search for you.

I do have a lender that works with foreigners. They do have some restrictions, so I'll just forward their info to you so that you can contact them directly.

I love doing real estate and work 7 days a week, so feel free to contact me anytime.

Danny Tseng
John S Realty
C: 425-941-5067
E: danny@thetsengteam.com
W: http://www.thetsengteam.com
Since school is the most important to you, I would recommend Bellevue or Kirkland. Bellevue High and Newport High School are good schools. If you can stretch out your budge little bit, Clyde Hill is a great place where is right next to West Bellevue. School district are Clyde Hill Elementary and Bellevue High.

If you have any questions, please visit us at http://www.waterfrontrealestateusa.com.

- Luxury & Waterfront Real Estate Team
Hello, I work in the Bellevue/Kirkland/Redmond area and I'm familiar with the neighborhoods, in these three Cities. Some areas are definitely more popular than others. There are many great Family and Investment homes within your price range. I'd be happy to send you some available homes in the most popular areas.

I also know of a Mortgage Lender that can help you, they have experience with international Clients. If you would like to contact me, I can give you their information, and you can discuss the rates that you could qualify for with them. Right now is a great time to buy, since the rates are so low.

Kindest Regards,
Candie Webb
Keller Williams- Bellevue WA
(425)766-5803
snovalleyhomes@comcast.net
http://www.snovalleyhomes.com