Home Buying in Murfreesboro>Question Details

Renfan, Home Buyer in Murfreesboro, TN

My husband and I are looking in the Blackman area of Murfreesboro for a house. We have become aware of gang activity and vandalism in the newer

Asked by Renfan, Murfreesboro, TN Sun Jan 10, 2010

subdivisions and wonder what is going on and what is being done, the neighborhood watch does not seem to make a difference. I am concerned about being home alone or having guests park their car in the drive overnight. Any insight or advice would be helpful - I don't want to buy into trouble.

Answers

4
Hi Renfan:

To help give you peace of mind and make an informed decision on this, you may want to check out the detailed crime statistics on the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation website.
You can access their Online Crime Database here: http://www.tennesseecrimeonline.com.

It allows you to customize your search by police department jurisdiction, type of crime, and even narrow it down specifically to gang related activities.

For what it is worth, I have been living near Blackman for nearly 20 years and both my kids went to Blackman Schools. We have never experienced any kind of gang activity or vandalism and enjoy living here.

Please let me know if I can help further.
John Ehlers
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 7, 2011
Hello Renfan
I've lived in west Murfreesboro for 15 years and hae been a buyers agent for 5 years. It is possible that there is some gang acivity in any neighborhood. However, gang activity in the Blackman community is all but non-existent in my opinion.
I have hundreds of friends and previous clients and customers who live in the area and have never heard of them having a problem with gang activity or vandalism. That is not to say that crime does not rear its ugly head everywhere that man lives.
If you do not have a buyers agent I'd be happy to help you to investigate any neighborhood to make sure you and your loved ones feel comfortable.
I would want to purchase a home in an area that I truly feel safe. I would do a little more research, but I would probably move on to a different area Good luck!
Renfan, compliments to you for reaching out ahead of time and trying to track down the most information available to you. With families that are in and around the areas you are discussing, I am surprised at what you have heard. If you don’t mind – I’d like to hear more of the details (such as which communities, and if there is a published report I can send to my clients as well… e-mail kpellatiro@realtracs.com).

You should certainly have the opportunity to purchase a home where you feel safe. The families in that area that have made purchase recently tell me they love it. They are off Cason Lane, Franklin Road, Manson, and Cason Trail. Are these the areas you have questions about?

((you might also try looking for community feedback on the City Data Nashville Forum, another excellent source for local information))

Kevin Pellatiro
Hoping to help you take advantage of the market – when you are ready.
(615)714-7918 | kpellatiro@realtracs.com | http://signswemustobserve.blogspot.com/