Home Buying in Minot>Question Details

k_mcalister0…, Home Buyer in Minot, ND

My husband and I are looking for a home to rent or buy which ever is the better deal. Any suggestions?

Asked by k_mcalister007, Minot, ND Tue Jun 18, 2013

I am military and will be moving to minot in about 2 months.

Answers

4
It all depends on your budget. But, with the rental prices running $1200 and up for a 2 bedroom apartment, I personally think if you're looking to invest your money, you should buy. But, that's my suggestion. If you need a realtor, I'd be more than happy to help you. I've worked with many from the Air Force Base Community. I guess I'm partial, my husband is a veteran. Call me with any questions.
Clyde has a great answer for you here and so does Donna. In addition to what they have said, I would suggest that you let an agent know your time-table, how long you plan on being in Minot, and your familial situation. Like, do you have pets? Tough to rent something decent if you have animals because most places wont rent to you. Kiddos and ages? You will probably want to be close to a good school. If you can be patient, there are better deals to be had as inventory has been creeping up, and buyers have more options with all thats been happening here (new construction and development). Do you know that there are rehabilitated flooded homes? Lots to cover. I typically suggest that people land here, rent if you can short term, get acclimated, feel out the market, and go from there. Contact a few good local agents if you havent already and get the scoop on our market. On my website I have a list of local rental companies, you can use that and make a few phone calls to get scoop on the rental market. http://www.drewwierson.com ----> left nav bar ----> minot rental listings. Good luck!
Web Reference: http://www.drewwierson.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 24, 2013
Welcome to Minot and Minot AFB. This really depends on your situation. With the military being so mobile, you need to decide what value you want. If you will be here 3+ years, in the long run, it would be better to purchase. If under 3 years, as with most military officers, this is where you will need to make the decision. Even though the rents for the apartments and homes have come down, they are still relatively high. For some, it was cheaper to purchase a home than to rent. Others would choose the mobility option, where if they had to move soon, they did not have to worry about trying to sell a home. I have several military clients that when it is close to receiving military orders, they will sell their home and move on base to ease the pain of selling while trying to settle in at the next base. Please ask a lot of questions. You may think this is bothersome, but this is our job to inform the public to help make the right decision.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 18, 2013
Get with a local Trulia Pro in the area you are moving to and ask them to go over the Rent v. Buy sheet with you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 18, 2013