Home Buying in Green Valley>Question Details

glriley, Home Buyer in Green Valley, AZ

My husband and I are looking for a home in Green Valley. I am Anglo and he is Hispanic. We are worried about prejudice. Should we be?

Asked by glriley, Green Valley, AZ Sun Sep 2, 2012

Answers

5
Southern Arizona is probably the best place in Arizona for a "mixed" couple. Nearby Tucson is very diverse. (Prescott/Sedona, northern towns, are close behind.) Although everyone seems to be welcome here in Green Valley, there really aren't that many minorities actually living here. (However, lots of Latinos work in the area.) For example, I've lived in The Springs, a wonderful, newer community of about 425 homes, almost since it was built. There have been four black people (my husband being one), three Latino couples, two Asian couples, a few gay/lesbian couples and three mixed couples (two black/white and one Asian/white) living here in that time. This is a very friendly neighborhood and everyone gets along. I'm aware of a few incidences where people (older, midwestern folks) were less than friendly and rude comments were made in this neighborhood and elsewhere in Green Valley, but it seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

Green Valley remains fairly conservative, but there is a growing Democratic Party here, fueled mostly by the women. One of the most obnoxious incidents has been the flags that are put up along the main drag every year, for every holiday -- except Martin Luther King Day. Finally, after years of complaints, the flags are finally present for EVERY holiday. The only other thing I can think of is that there is a big Border Patrol presence here. There have been a few issues with them, altho not always directed toward minorities.

Neighboring Sahuarita is a bit more diverse (but it's a family area, not age-restricted) and I'm not aware of any big issues there either.

Green Valley is generally a pleasant, friendly, slow-paced place to live. The crime rate is very low (in 15 years here, our neighborhood has had one break-in --- small amount of money, food and water taken, meaning it was possibly illegal workers. That's it.) More worrisome is so many old folks behind the wheel of their cars, but that's another story! Good luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 30, 2012
NO PREJUDICE HERE...we love our homeowners, they are from all over the world and all walks of life! Come visit and see for yourself!

QUAIL CREEK, A ROBSON RESORT - Active Adult Community, Green Valley, AZ
It is always a great decision to buy new and Quail Creek is an active adult community that features World Class amenities. Golf, Tennis, Pools, Fitness Center, Arts & Technology Center, Bocce/Pickle Ball, a Grand Ballroom and clubhouse, Restaurant/Bar and Coffee Shop and more! We have an in-house lender affiliate that will make getting a loan at the best possible int. rate and terms easy! There is so much to offer with energy efficiency guarantees and a 9 year builder warranty, 24/7 manned gate and vehicle patrol; many residents only live here for the winter. It just doesn't make sense to purchase resale, especially if you will only be at home part-time. The friendly neighbors living in the Quail Creek community will help you with anything you need and acquaint you with all the wonderful activities that you like to do. There are over 100 clubs and activities. I am partial as I am a new home sales consultant at Quail Creek, and I would love the opportunity to show you around and see if QC is a fit for your retirement needs. Please consider staying with us for 3 nights and 4 days to "EXPERIENCE THE LIFESTYLE", you will receive tours of homes and amenities, a free round (18 holes) of golf and a hosted dinner where you will meet homeowners who can answer your questions about what is like to live in Quail Creek. Contact Sue Taylor-Lane at 520-940-0500 for more info.
Sorry, don't know why Trulia listed me as being from Missoula, MT (my answer below); I've been looking at homes there, but we live in Green Valley! - Deb Cox
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 30, 2012
By no means. This is a great community with all ethnic groups gathering together in this active adult community. Prejudice should be your last concern when looking at this area. I would be happy to give you the "fifty cent" tour of the area so you can see all the different options open to you. let me know when you plan on coming. Until then, if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to call or email.
Thanks for your interest.

STU
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 2, 2012
Green Valley is a wonderful community with a diverse population. Many folks move there from all over the country. Many areas are 55 and over. It truly is a very active adult community with many social clubs to join. Let me know if I can further assist you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 2, 2012