Home Buying in West Orange>Question Details

Melly, Home Buyer in 07052

My husband and I are looking for a center hall colonial. We are looking in West Orange to start a family. Why is the taxes so high if this is not a?

Asked by Melly, 07052 Wed Dec 12, 2012

blue ribbon district? Is it difficult to have the taxes assess? I am finding it difficult to buy a house that have taxes higher than the mortgage. I budget is 350000.

Answers

9
Hi Melly, West Orange is in Essex county and it has one of the highest tax rates in USA.
http://www.baristanet.com/2011/03/essex-county-has-2nd-highe…

Armin Lusinyants
E-mail: alusinyants@weichert.com
http://www.MoveOutorInwithArmin.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 12, 2012
Greetings Melly,

In general you will find that most of the towns within 25 miles or less to Manhattan will have high taxes. If your top priority is live where the blue ribbon schools are, you could also look some towns in Morris county. Below is a link to the recent Top NJ Schools report.

https://www.box.com/s/7c300516930c32f71a8e

Hi Melly
Your question sparked my curiosity so I looked up the Blue Ribbon Schools in New Jersey for 2011
Here it is -

Holy Trinity Interparochial School
336 First Street
Westfield, NJ 07090-3318
Phone: (908) 233-0484
Principal: Sister Maureen Fichner

Lincoln Elementary School
712 Lincoln Avenue
Ridgefield Park, NJ 07660-1416
Phone: (201) 994-1830
Principal: Mr. Joseph Neubert

New Providence High School
35 Pioneer Drive
New Providence, NJ 07974-1575
Phone: (908) 464-4700
Principal: Mr. Paul Casarico

Our Lady of Mercy Academy
25 Fremont Avenue
Park Ridge, NJ 07656-2036
Phone: (201) 391-3838
Principal: Mrs. Laraine Meehan

Our Lady of the Lake School
26 Lakeside Avenue
Verona, NJ 07044-1819
Phone: (973) 239-1160
Principal: Sister Mary Agnes Sullivan

Rumson-Fair Haven Regional High School
74 Ridge Road
Rumson, NJ 07760-1896
Phone: (732) 842-1597
Principal: Ms. Tracy Handerhan

Saint Elizabeth School
Greenwood Avenue
Wyckoff, NJ 07481-1519
Phone: (201) 891-1481
Principal: Dr. Constance McCue

St. John the Apostle School
825 Valley Road
Clark, NJ 07066-1901
Phone: (732) 388-1360
Principal: Sister Donna Marie O'Brien

Saint John's Academy
460 Hillsdale Avenue
Hillsdale, NJ 07642-2713
Phone: (201) 664-6364
Principal: Mrs. Elizabeth Viola

Tewksbury Elementary School
109 Fairmount Road East
Califon, NJ 07830-3199
Phone: (908) 832-2594
Principal: Mr. Jim Miller

Thomas Jefferson Elementary School
233 Goffle Hill Road
Hawthorne, NJ 07506-3213
Phone: (973) 423-6480
Principal: Mrs. Rosanne Zagatta

Watchung School
4 Garden Street
Montclair, NJ 07042-4198
Phone: (973) 509-4259
Principal: Mr. Peter Turnamian

There is so much that goes into judging a school, and each list of best schools uses different criteria; some nationally ranked schools in Essex County did not make this list.

West Orange does have high taxes but it is a beautiful town with alot to offer. If you have not done so already come take a tour of the town, have a meal and view some homes. See if you feel at home in West Orange and then decide if this is the town where you can envision living and raising a family,

Best of luck in your home search!
Maria
Melly-

A property just came on the market this week in West Orange which might work for you. It's less than your budget and the taxes are under $10,000. If you would like more information, please call or email me.

Sloan Berman
862-368-4963
sloan.berman@cbmoves.com
Hi Melli,
You can get more home for your money.
Tax can be appealed every Jan.-Mar. town hall has all comparitables so you can file yourself.
West Orange has an easy commute to NY.
Reservation for picnics hiking trails, Public golf ,world class Zoo and ice skating.
Good Luck in your search.
Lorraine Weinberg 973 992-3313
Melly,

My partner Sharon has lived in west orange all her life and the taxes as your mentioned seem to have been higher than some of the neighboring towns.

In the price range you mentioned, you may want to also consider Maplewood and south orange which give you an added bonus of a train. The taxes are pretty high there too.

There are a few nice towns in union and Morris county too. Taxes will be lower but you may need to pay a little more for a colonial.

It would be our pleasure to be of assistance if you don't have a realtor to help in your home search. Feel free to call my cell listed below.

Lots if luck and happy holidays!

Karen Abramson
917-294-0356
As Brian said, taxes are higher in towns with less commercial properties, and West Orange is such a town. On the other hand, it is a wonderful place to start a family, with a great zoo, a world class ice skating rink, the South Mountain Reservation and Eagle Rock Reservation which have hiking and bike trails, and loads of other family activities too. All of this and a very short commute to NYC make it a great place to live.

You can file an application to appeal your tax assessment between January and March every year. You have to provide comparables supporting what you think your house is worth from sales that occurred prior to October 1st of the year before the tax year you are appealing. Meaning, if you are appealing your 2012 taxes, you have to provide comparables from sales that occurred between October 1, 2010 to October 1, 2011. There are many companies that will do the appeal for you, and you can also do it yourself. The town usually has a list of comparables that can be used down at City Hall.

West Orange has a number of great colonials on the market in your price range. Good luck in your search and I hope we see you soon in West Orange!
One factor in why taxes are high in one town versus another is the amount of commercial ratables in the community. Additionally, some towns receive more state aid than others for their schools and other mumicipal programs.
Getting a tax assessment changed requires some work by the homeowner and may not always result in a lower assessment, but it can be worth the effort.
Your price range and wish list is not unreasonable. I'd be glad to help you find your dream home.
Hi Melly

Well, the good news is - you can buy more house in W. Orange for your price range than in some other nearby towns, but unfortunately, as you have discovered, the taxes are on the high side.

In the $350,000 price point, the taxes will be in the $11,000 - $15,000 range. It's just how it is.

As to whether you can appeal the taxes to have them reduced - no one can give you a definite answer "yes"....you can always try......If you do buy a home, however, be prepared to pay the taxes as they are.......if you move forward with a successful appeal - that would be a bonus!

Please feel free to reach out to me, as I was born and raised in W. Orange and lived in the surrounding area my whole life, so I know it well.
You might consider expanding your search a bit just to see what else you can buy in nearby towns.

Best wishes......

Debbie Rose
Prudential NJ Properties
email:Debbie.Rose@prudentialnewjersey.com