Becky Celluc…, Home Buyer in Coatesville, PA

My husband and I are looking at the Ryan homes located at the Preserve at Inniscrone in Avondale, and are concerned about the mushroom smell in the

Asked by Becky Cellucci, Coatesville, PA Sat Dec 19, 2009

area. Does anyone know how bad and how often the mushroom smell would be in that location? Thank you so very much!

Answers

8
Don't do it!! Its not the mushroom smell...its the Nutri soil company that generates the horrible smell. You wake up in the middle of the night to vomit because the odor has gotten into your home. The inside of your home always smell like poop. Neighbors walk to their car in the morning to go to work and vomit in their driveways. People wear masks. Animals gag when they take a walk. You cant even enjoy being out in your yard without gagging or vomiting. We are daily sending emails to the EPA regarding the stench here. If you can manage to live with the smell...then you have a board of Home Owners Association people who don't enforce the homeowners guidelines to everyone but harass other homeowners. Their is a lot of turmoil in the entire community among the homeowners. There are numerous children who are left to run wild! You have motor bikes, go carts and battery operated cars running in the middle of the roads and sidewalks and in your yard. Adults and teenagers here walk thru your property, rummage through your garbage cans. Its like living in the inner city ghetto but with homes that are new. Look in Landenberg. Much higher quality homes and the residents are more upper class. Good luck in your search!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 16, 2013
http://list.agcharter.org/newsletters/K-12%20Listserv/2012-2…

We have dropped the idea to relocate to Avondale after reading the letter.
Good Afternoon Becky,

A great idea would be for you to speak to neighbors in the area. They would be the best to let you know how extensive the smell gets. Also remember we are in the winter months the smell may get worse in the summer months when the air is warm and stale. This is definately something to consider. However as stated below it doesn't really affect the homes selling. Normally the complaints come from those outside the area and not familiar with the area. But I truly believe speaking to a few people who actually live there or at least close by would be a great idea. Perhaps take a stroll through the neighborhood and catch a few neighbors outside.

On another note you should be sure you are represented by a Buyer's Agent. It costs you nothing and the site agent only represents the builder. If this particular sale does not work out and you do not have a Buyer's agent you should definately remember to have one for the next opportunity to purchase. You should NEVER enter a new construction site without an agent as once you do, even if it is to gather information, you will not be given the opportunity to be represented by your own agent. The new construction site agents are very strict about this and they tend to remember everyone who enters their sales center. Good luck with your purchase.

Jennifer Daywalt, Realtor
Re/Max Results Realty - Collegeville
Top Agent 2004 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
Author of "Ask The Realtor" Column in The Saturday Edition of The Phoenix Newspaper
Licensed since 2001 in PA
610-489-7355 Main Office
610-999-7693 Direct Line
Sellinghomesjenn@aol.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 19, 2009
Hi Becky,

One more thought. If YOU are concerned about the smell now, before you are even buying. Then consider the concerns of someone who would be buying that home from you - years from now.

I like the smell of mushrooms next to a fine rib-eye steak, not in my yard.
I agree with Keith about the composting of the mushrooms. It appears to be more noticeable when the soil is turned but it is an occasional occurance. There are many mushroom farms from Chadds ford down to the Avondale area. You must have been there on one of the "days". Ask anyone living in the area how disturbing it becomes and if the quality of living there is compromised. If you are looking at new construction, I hope you have a buyer's agent helping you with the process. You should have someone looking out for your best interests. If you have any questions about the process I would be happy to help and when you are ready to hire your agent, I would like to apply for the job!
You will get odor from time to time. It emanates from two composting operations, one on the west side of West Grove, and one on the East side of West Grove. That spot should not be too bad, but will not likely be odor free. Interestingly, the odor does not have hurt real estate values in the area. The operation closest, the east side, was to be closed and be part of a large development plan by Wilkinson eventually but the economy has put that in question.

Let me know if you need more local guidance.
Hello Becky,

I have never heard of somethign described as a mushroom smell, but kind of know what you might be describing. Certain kinds of naturally occuring molds in soils have a charachteristic smell to them. One of the most common is Aspergillus which can be found in mulch and decaying leaves. This type of mold has a very distinct smell that some describe as fresh soil. There are other kinds of mold that have similar odors.

If you are concerned about smells and potential allergens, you should think about having air sampling done as part of your home inspection contingency. This will determine if there are elevated mold levels in the home at the time of inspection. You can visit my website and learn a little about mold sampling. I also do other types of indoor air quality testing to make sure there are no other problems inside the home.

There may also be a local source that is contributing to the smell that you are describing. Depending what is in the neighborhood, the smell may discipate at certain times of the year. I would ask the builder if they have nearby mulch piles that they use to finish the neighborhood landscaping. You might also want to drive around and look at the local businesses for ones that may be using chemicals. The Neighborhood Environmental Report that is offered on my website looks at companies in the area that may be using chemicals and if there were any environmental accidents.

Feel free to contact me if you have indoor air quality or environmental concerns about a property that you are cconsidering buying.
It smells like that at this time of year? That would scare me off!