Foximama2, Home Buyer in Brentwood, CA

My husband and I are interested in purchasing a home in Mountain House. We would like to narrow down our home price by knowing what the utilities are

Asked by Foximama2, Brentwood, CA Mon Mar 19, 2012

As well as the taxes, etc. We don't want to end up house poor! =)

Answers

8
Hi there, I have lived in MH for over 3 years, I own a substantially large home, approx 4000 square feet. My bills are as follows:

Property taxes - approx 1.86% of purchase price
Water, Sewer and Trash - approx $177/mo (always around this price)
Electric - swings from $120-$180/ mo depending on AC usage etc
Gas - $25-$75 depending on usage of furnace to heat home

Please feel free to contact me for any further questions. I am a Local EXPERT in Real Estate and can assist you in this difficult market. 510-917-2307 - Shaun Zamrykut
Sorry to chime in so late, but I just looked at this and noticed a comment from "JCATER21"

I have lived here for a approx 5 years and haven't received any "Additional bills" on top of the Property taxes.

School taxes etc are built into the property tax bill....
Hi, I owned a home there. Unfortunately, I did not watch the installation of the free appliances that were rated the highest usage of power (this was in 2003) by PG&E on their stickers, and I called the utility company myself and asked what the average cost of the utilities in that track.

In San Jose, my utilities of PG&E's are both Electricity and Gas. The combo most of the time for utilities and gas in San Jose for me with Central Air Conditioning that most of my friends refuse to use is $225 to $245/month. And, Mountain House seemed quite high when we just left one light on all day, and ran the refrigerator, and that's it.

It is best to go through the whole house and take out the lights and replace them with CFLs when PG&E sells them from $2/4 a piece, yet in 4-packs, during one part of the year. Then, you will save a lot of money.

As, your appliances there may be already installed, or left by the previous owner, if they are from 2003 before they started making their "Energy-Conserving" Models of homes, I would replace all the appliances right away to a medium usage or rebate usage (see PG&E for current rebates on new appliances on their website or phone them), and this will help a lot.

We had a two-story, 2200 sf home, and we thought the utilities were high, yet for trash, we only paid $75 every 2 months and water by using a dishwasher is about $120 in San Jose. Try hand-washing your dishes and you'll save a lot of money.

In San Jose, no one pays for the sewer monthly, I believe it's a one-time fee or two-time fee on your two-times-a-year property taxes.

P.S.--Though the property taxes say 1.86%, there's an $800/year CSD charge and a $ for the college charge and a $ for the school charge and a $200-$300 CSD 3-part gutter, sewage, curb and pipe fee (sort of like that), on top of the 1.86% taxes. Just check with the San Joaquin County Recorder. Then, try and find out who your Mayor is--no one. Who is your City Council District Representative--no one. You all get to cut to the chase and have a beautiful property, beautiful frontage road, beautiful lawns, and the second your green front yard mow strip turns the slightest bit off-dark green and a little bit yellow--Community Services D.--not a home owner's association, will be calling you to water your lawn or fix it. I recommend a gardener unless you like to take care of trees, plants, flowers, and lawn daily. That should be a tiny, tiny, tiny fee, as the front yards are small--what $20-30 bucks/month? IDK.

P.S.S.--Make sure you pay your taxes on time, or the local school district will send an attorney's letter to you as well, to collect/foreclose on your home. And, make sure you check with the County Recorder on all the garbage and sewer and water liens (these were hidden on my San Jose property as they couldn't find them the "standard way"), and check on all the hidden extra fees San Joaquin, CSD, the College, the Utilities, the Sewage, the Road, the Gutter charge you to maintain on your tax statement.

Ginny
Utility bills are one of the biggest constraints for moving to Mountain House, although you might get a good deal in the price of the house however utilities and gas(car) together makes it pretty alarming and forces one to think whether MH is a better choice or not. At average the Water bill is about $165/house and electricity about $75 and gas(cooking) about $45. But good thing is there is no HOA.

Also we should be careful in negotiating the price as lot of flip properties can make a buyer little attractive as the house can look fancy but the prices are really marked up. Most of these are invest properties.

Hope this clarifies a little more
SK
In Discovery Bay, the taxes are generally around 1.25% or slightly under. Something to take into consideration. Also, if you have to commute anywhere, I'd suggest going and traveling the route you would have to take at the times you have to take it. Water bills in Discovery Bay are very minimal. If you are in Brentwood, you'd be very happy to just get rid of that water bill :)

Good luck to you!

Jana
925-522-1215
Shaun and Drew have done an excellent job in answering your question.
I'd like to add that, each home is different.
Taxes and assesments will vary slighly from home to home.
Additionally someone else's utility usage may be completely different than yours.
So although this information is helpful, take it with a grain of salt.
Also if you need specifics on a particular homes tax data , please feel free to call or email me I would love to assist.

Taj Weldon
209-740-4176
Real Estate Agent- Serving Mountain House , Tracy, and Lathrop
DRE 01816152
Tywelldone@gmail.com

Taj Weldon
209-740-4176
DRE 01816152
Tywelldone@gmail.com
Yeah, I usually tell clients to budget for 2% property taxes, that's the property tax along with all the special assessments included, which can be calculated by inputting lot size and sq ftg of the home here: http://mhrealestate.com/MountainHousePropertyTaxes

Just to add a few things to Shauns response:

The water/trash/sewage bill is so high because there is a hidden tax thats collected through the water bill. Its roughly $75/mo and it goes towards paying off the loan we have against our brand new state of the art ultraviolet water treatment facility. On the flip side, since we own our water facility, you can use as much water as you need without seeing wild swings in your bill. A friend completely filled their swimming pool for the first time and their bill only went up $10 that month.

For electric, you also need to take into account the year built. Anything 2007 built or later will be subject to the new energy efficiency codes and you'll save a lot of money on your electric bills over a house that was built before 2007.

Also, PGE is only responsible for Gas in Mountain House. Modesto Irrigation District provides the electricity. Shaun is right, its about $25-$75 depending on how much you run the heater and how long your hot showers are.

There's more helpful information about buying in Mountain House available here: http://www.MHRealEstate.com