Amandak, Home Buyer in American Canyon, CA

My husband and I are contemplating moving from Texas to the American Canyon area by the end of the year. What tips can you give us about how?

Asked by Amandak, American Canyon, CA Fri Jun 4, 2010

mortgages and financing work out in CA?? Wanting a home that is basically move in ready, and at least 4 bedrooms. I know that the market is different, but what do we need to be prepared for??

Sameer Punjani’s answer
This question is close to 3 years old, Amandak have you already made the move here? If so let us know so agents won't respond to old questions.

If not then if you need help from a local agent feel free to call anyone on trulia local.
Hi Amanda,
Be prepared to rent or make a trip out in advance to see homes and make offers. The supply of homes in American Canyon today is less than 10. Other areas to consider are Benicia and some areas of Vallejo but again the housing inventgory is at an all time low. Be prepared to compete for homes that are on the market for only a few days and will have multiple offers. New home tracs are also a possiblity. You didn't mention your price range but expect $350k and up. (considerably more since your last communication in August) Contact me for help. I am easy to find on the internet. Thank you, Rick Dillion
I highly recommend realtor Arturo Ramirez of Sotheby's International Realty. He is an EXCELLENT realtor who really knows this town and works extremely hard to satisfy his clients. We would not be here if it weren't for Art. He is really fantastic.
I strongly suggest that before you engage into any legal activity, please have an attorney in your team to review your documents for free.

Please contact me at 408-490-1754 and I'd be happy to refer you.

CJ Jocson
American Canyon is nice, so is Hiddenbrooke in Vallejo. As far as tips how, the first thing is to get pre approved for your mortgage. Right now when you submit an offer, the lender will want to see your full DU findings, dont worry your loan broker will know what this is. Also, most of the homes here are either short sales, or bank owned. You can occasionally get into flipper properties where the investors purchase them from auctions and slap on some new paint, carpet, etc. These might be good deals too, since its a regular sale so you don't have to deal with any banks or wait a long time for your short sale to get approved. Most short sales now are still taking a while to get done. Government has a new HAFA program thats supposed to shorten the short sale time frame, but i dont see that happening.

Good Luck in your home search and hope you find a great deal.
Web Reference:
I love American Canyon. Prices are a bit higher in California than in Texas. I had sticker shock when I arrived from Arkansas in California in 1984. A newer foreclosed home in American Canyon, of say 2400 sq ft will start around $330k and go up from there. You can always look at my web site for homes in American Canyon.
American Canyon has a new high school opening tomorrow. Its a great community with a very active community center, new hotels, and even a Super Walmart. It is the gateway to the world renowned Napa Valley. Hope you make it out here.
Web Reference:
I live across the hill in Fairfield on weekends and would say that you have a lot of options. There are many homes for sale, including lots of foreclosures and properties that need work. Your budget will determine which neighborhoods to look in, as there are many that are move-in ready at the top of the scale. I recommend at least 20% down to make qualifying easier. The biggest consideration once you get past all that is where you will want to work and play once you move out here. Even though AC is out of the way compared to communities closer to SF Bay, it's still on the trail to Napa and Sonoma wine country and the traffic can get wicked, both in the mornings and on weekends. Let me know if you'd like any additional information.
There is lots to consider, weather, location - how far is your job from the area? have you looked in the local newspaper to see what is going on in the area? how big of a home are you looking for? Is the price range realistic to what you want or need? If not are there other areas where you can buy more house for the same price not too far from where you want to be?
The market is HOT! There are a lot of buyers and investors! Look first but if you find something that has everything you are looking for - go for it!