Kasey Bolton, Home Buyer in Enid, OK

My husband and I are PCSing to Enid from overseas and are wanting to buy a home, preferably before we get there, how difficult will that be?

Asked by Kasey Bolton, Enid, OK Thu Feb 16, 2012

We have about a month before we move and we have a home picked out and are waiting for information from the agent representing the seller. I am just wondering if there's a chance everything can be completed before we arrive so we can get back to the states and "meet" our new little home....

Answers

4
It is not to difficult to do. Would be good to make sure you see video and lots of pictures. I would also ask to see the properties around the house you are looking at. Any certain one you are interested in at this point. Would be glad to help you out.
Angie Lippard
United Country Lippard Auctioneers
Hi Kasey,

Andrea made some great points regarding the real estate side of things so I'm going to touch on some of the financing aspects that will come into play assuming that you're not paying cash.

I'm also going to assume that you'll take advantage of your VA benefits and use your entitlement to buy using a VA mortgage.

You can get a lot of the paper work done for your loan approval just fine via phone, fax and email before you get back state side. The primary concern is that an underwriter may not use your orders and instead require 30 days worth of pay stubs from your new station before allowing you to close on the loan.

Please feel free to contact me for more information or help.
John Burke
Senior Mortgage Banker
ENG Lending
jburke@englending.com
Hi Kasey, this is a tough one! I've assisted a client before who PCS'd from San Diego to Fort Meade to purchase a house sight unseen .. we discussed the home on the phone while I was walking through it. I took pictures of every nook and detail inside and I prepared a market analysis to guide them in their decision what to offer and what to ask for. A family member was able to be present during all inspections which frankly made me feel a whole lot better. Taste and opinions are personal after all! This is an enormous responsibility and we had to draw up separate paperwork to protect everyone involved.

They arrived in time, however, to be present at settlement. The offer and contract can be done via DocuSign or Esign but there are a whole bunch of potential pitfalls that you should think through very carefully before you decide to proceed. My first advice would be to find a Buyer's Agent - you want somebody to work in your best interest, the listing agent is representing the seller ... How familiar are you with the area? The neighborhood? What if it turns out you don't like the highway or water tower or commercial business across the street from the house? Who will be doing your home inspection? If anything would turn out not be up to your standards what would you do?

You are essentially basing a very big decision on information you can find online and on the agent working in the seller's best interest .. I strongly suggest that you consider all your options - could you take your house hunting leave or make some temporary living arrangements? This is a huge step and I hope it all works out for you just fine but in the end you are looking for a home and many times we wont know until we've stepped in and looked around and made sure it feels right that we know that this is the one. Good luck!
Kasey the issue in regard to this transaction is who will represent you before your return to sign the contract of Sale Agreement. If you need to finance the transaction it would be even more dificult becausae the banks truly scrutinize Power of Attorney (POA) transactions, never mind tthe fact neither your husband or yourself are here to sign a POA. I think you may have to sit tight and waitt ill you return to enter into a purchase contract. Good Luck.