Home Buying in Atlanta>Question Details

Bk, Home Buyer in Atlanta, GA

My husband & I are looking to buy a townhome in Glenridge area of sandy Springs. We are being told a townhome will not sell. Is this true in this?

Asked by Bk, Atlanta, GA Wed Nov 16, 2011

area My husband & I are looking to buy a townhome in Glenridge area of sandy Springs. We are being told a townhome will not sell. Is this true in this area? We are looking to stay for atleast 5 years and then consider selling and moving a house then. Right now a house doesnt make sense for us.

Answers

4
BK,

No one can say whether a town house will sell five years from now because that market will likely be considerably different from the one we face today. You should work with an agent who is committed to helping you make the best fact-based decision. In addition to helping you understand the forms required to bring the transaction to a successful close, that agent can provide information on the quality of life, the sales prices of comparable homes and negotiate on your behalf and so much more. This way, there should be some level of confidence that you did not over pay for your property, that it is within your budget and that you made the best decisions at the time, all fundamentals that should work in your favor when the time arrives to sell.

Solomon Greene
REALTOR® Keller Williams Realty Atlanta Partners
(678) 775-2677
It depends on 1) location 2) price. Whether or not you're buying a good investment will depend largely on those. Having a CMA conducted for you would help.

Adam Morrison
adamhanm@gmail.com
Web Reference: http://www.atlhomes.net
It all really depends on the specific property. There is really no way to predict out to what 5 years from now might look like.

Rodney Mason, NMLS #151088
Sr Loan Officer
Prospect Mortgage
825 Juniper St NE, Atlanta, GA 30308
Office: (404) 591-2453
rodney.mason@prospectmtg.com
Apply Online at http://www.rodneymason.com
Licensed in Alabama & Georgia

Prospect Mortgage offers a full selection of mortage programs including:
Conventional | FHA | FHA 203K Renovation (Streamline & Consultant) | HomePath® |
HomePath® Renovation | VA | USDA | GA Dream | Jumbo Financing
Web Reference: http://www.rodneymason.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 20, 2011
BK,
It's true Townhomes can be tricky, but like all real estate, location and price are main factors that drive demand. Since Glenridge/Sandy Springs is consider "closer in" (to downtown Atlanta) demand is higher and therefore property values are higher as well. Buyers who want to live in the area but are priced out of the single family home range turn to townhomes and condos for a more affordable option.

Having said that, the opportunity for positive appreciation is somewhat limited since you can't add space to a townhome or condo. So from that standpoint, there will be a max or cap on what the market is willing to pay. You also have to consider the monthly HOA fees that are added to a mortgage which may price the resale of the townhome out of range for another subset of buyers.

I say all this in very general terms. If you would like my opinion on a specific property, you can email me at stacy@homeappreciators.com.

I hope this was helpful!
Stacy Carter
Associate Broker
Homes Appreciators Realty Team at
Better Homes & Gardens Real Estate Metro Brokers
678-641-6631