Home Buying in Asheville>Question Details

stacie_chand…, Home Buyer in Asheville, NC

My husband & I are hoping to move to the Asheville area soon. We will be looking for a home w an in law suite. Any advice on where to look or how?

Asked by stacie_chandler, Asheville, NC Mon Feb 11, 2013

We can spend up to @$300k. Thanks!

Answers

14
Dana Finney’s answer
Hi Stacie,
I have a home that is available at the edge of Canton, NC with close, easy access to I-40. It is 10-15 minutes out of Asheville toward Maggie Valley and Cherokee. It has a full heated walkout basement with a bath that would easily be converted to whatever size and configuration of suite you imagine working best for you. It has had many updates but is still at a price that would allow the floorplan modifications and still come in considerably under budget. Feel free to contact me at your convenience for more information.

Dana Finney
Home owner
864-942-7975
Hi Stacie,

Most people start their search online. However, you usually cannot get very specific with search parameters.....such as specifiying in-law suite. For that you usually need the help of an agent to create a search for you through the MLS. We do have several properties that already have an in-law suite or apartment built in, but usually I will search also for unfinished, walk-out basements which would allow you to create your own. This may not be a bad idea if your parent were to change their mind as happened with Patreecia below.

As you can see, there is no lack of people who would like to help you. It is important that you talk to more than one agent and see who you connect with. Look at it as a partnership....you need to trust and be comfortable with your partner.

In the meantime, I would be happy to set up a search for you to which you would receive updates. Just let me know what is important to you in a home.....the "must haves". However you may also want to set up a more general search on a couple of websites to capture the ideal property that the specialized search may overlook. Most brokers have a website with a search engine. Many of my clients sign up on more than one website. I am always flattered when they choose to work with me.

Hope this helps. Good luck in your search.

Debbie

Deborah H. Francis, GRI, ABR, ePRO, SFR, GREEN, CRS Candidate
Associate Broker/Realtor®
86 Asheland Avenue
Asheville, NC 28801
cell: 828-553-9019 email: deborah@dhfrancis.com
Please visit my website; http://www.LiveInAshevilleHome.com
"Your Move is My Mission"
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 11, 2013
Karen Woodard, Real Estate Pro in Asheville, NC
My listing at 22 Philly Run in Weaverville is back on the market. It has a really nice in law suite compete with bedroom, living room, bath, laundry, full kitchen and patio. Lovely long range mountain views and sounds of rushing creek from most rooms. I really encourage you to take a look. Best Karen Woodard 8283353838 kwoodard@beverly-hanks.com
Stacie,

Just saw an ad to brokers about a home in Alexander (Weaverville area) with a full in-law suite priced for $219,000, MLS 543079. In other words there are properties out there that could possibly meet your needs. What you need to do is have a couple of agents set up a couple of searches for you. Then you need to choose an agent to represent you. If you are unsure about committing to an agent you can always "test drive" an agent by signing an agreement that would cover only one day and the properties shown on that day.

It has been several months since your initial post. Could you give us an update on your status?

Debbie

Associate Broker/Realtor®
86 Asheland Avenue
Asheville, NC 28801
"Your Move is My Mission"
I'm fairly sure I saw a few listings in Weaverville like that- I have a listing under contract right now in the same- area listed at $345,000 with a complete in-law suite including a full kitchen- we are still looking for back up offers if that might be of interest. The address is 22 Philly Run Weaverville nc mls 542601
Hello Stacie,
The best thing to do is to work with a buyers agent, not only is it FREE to do so but a good agent will know about homes BEFORE they even hit the market.
You're welcome to call me at 828 210 1592 or check out my site at http://www.AshevilleHolisticRealty.com
Have a great day~
Jason
I know of a home in East Asheville, that has a basement with a kitchenette and a separate entrance. Don't know if that helps.
I have a property that is awesome and has an In-Law Suite and in a great private neighborhood and it's only $178,000.!! Contact me at #828-712-5007 or cheryl@exitrealtyvistas.com

This is a must see property if you need a nice In-Law Suite. ~Cheryl
Hi Stacie, You need a buyer's agent to help you in your search. It's quite simple and there should be some good options for you out there in your price range. I'd like to ask you some more questions to get a better idea of what you need out of the in-law space. I've worked with several clients needing similar space and know what to look for. Feel free to contact me at sweethomewnc@gmail.com
Stacie
A good.response from the many brokers in the Asheville area. Keller Williams Professionals is well known in the area and are dedicated to finding your dream home in the Asheville and surrounding area. I recommend you shop around for thr best broker of choice. Let us find your dream home today. Look foward to answering all your concerns. Search my web site below. Call me at (828)301-1050
Web Reference: http://tomelio.kwrealty.com
Stacie! Also my website has an eAlert system with the "in-law" or "guest house" as a search option. My website gives access to ALL MLS listings - not just ones that are promoted or pre-selected by the Firm. Try me at http://www.cheryl.exitasheville.com

~Cheryl #828-712-5007
Hi, Stacie,
Just about any home feature you may want, a Realtor will be able to include in a search on in the MLS and give you a whole bunch of places to consider. Homes with in-law suites or attached apartments or even detached apartments at pretty common in the Asheville area. I would suggest that you not make the mistake of just focusing on the in-law suite, which is what I did when I moved to Asheville. My mother was with us. We chose a house we thought she would love. About three months after we moved in, she decided she would prefer to be in a senior apartment right downtown where she could be where all the action is and not even have to drive. If you will have a parent with you, there are many things to think about like proximity to healthcare as well as senior activities. For more resources house-hunting strategy and on retiring in Asheville, you may want to check out this website: http://www.asheville-north-carolina-real-estate.org/retire-i…
Hi Stacie,
You need to employ the services of a good buyer's agent who will discuss you wants and needs and perform an exhaustive search for you. I just happen to be one of those agents and would be happy to assist you. Contact me anytime at 828-775-1004.

Michael White
Realty Pro Asheville
Hello Stacie! Call me right away #828-712-5007! I have one in mind that is a great price and know of many others that may fit your needs! cheryl@exitrealtyvistas.com