Home Buying in Charlotte>Question Details

KellyA, Home Buyer in Rocky Hill, CT

My hubs & I are from CT and are thinking about moving to Charlotte in a year or so. The new construction communities seem so cheap - what's

Asked by KellyA, Rocky Hill, CT Fri Apr 12, 2013

the catch? We'd like more info about the new homes listed. Does the price usually include a lot? Do the homes come with appliances? Is it a base price and as you add flooring, cabinets, tubs, etc, the price goes up from there? Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Tfallon680’s answer
I am from CT also, moved here 2 1/2 years ago, the new construction here is great. You might want to look into Union County best schools if you have children and lower taxes. Also look into Fort Mill or Indian Land, SC. I live in south Charlotte and can be in SC in less then 8 minutes, we are looking to buy in SC because the taxes are so low, they are 1/2 the cost of Mecklenbur County taxes and a little over a 1/4 of Union County taxes. Fort Mill and Idian Land both have great schools also. Good luck with your move..fellow yankee....lol
Depending on the builder the homes will normally carry a lot premium and depending on the area will greatly vary. Generally the homes are listed as a base price and as you add upgrades the price of course will rise. My partner's family is from Oxford CT and moved down a few years ago. They love the climate and the area, plus their money went so much further in Charlotte than it did in Connecticut. Remember that agents unless under Exclusive Buyers Agency Agreement automatically represent the Seller or Builder, so its always good to have someone negotiating on your behalf. Let me know if I can help!
Good evening, Kelly:
New home pricing is generally the base price. If it is a "to be built home" and you contract for the base model and price, the listed price applies. If it is an inventory home, you might be able to purchase for a slight discount to list price. However, if you choose a premium lot or a specific elevation or if you want certain upgrades, which are generally selected at a design center, your final price can be higher. Depending on the builder, the community and the price point, these can vary widely from several thousand to tens of thousands.

You may want to read the Trulia Real Estate blog "Buyer Agent Advocate for New Home Construction" link below and make sure you have an experienced broker exclusively representing you before you contact any builder. There are different negotiation strategies for different builders and builder incentives and pricing vary month to month. For example one builder has a program to help you sell an existing home. These may or may not be disclosed to the consumer if they do not ask. If you have a full time agent with a Masters degree in Planning with Finance and over two decades of experience, working for you, you will likely do better in negotiations. I'd be pleased to provide that service. If you appreciate this answer, please give it a thumbs up, or if this was the most helpful answer, please say thanks with a best answer click.
If you are moving to Charlotte and looking at new tract home construction you are insane. Charlotte is filled with some of the most beautiful custom homes in custom neighborhoods on sizable lots. The quality of construction is much higher and the neighborhoods are both beautiful to look at and walk without 3 models repeated over and over again. At this point these homes are even priced lower on a price per square foot. Look at Ballantyne and Highgrove. And shame on the realtors below for not sharing this information with you.!
Hi Kelly!

Congrats on moving to Charlotte, it's wonderful here! Depending on where you are in the city, new construction can vary in pricing. Base prices of most builders down here actually usually include a decent level of finishes already such as granite in kitchens, hardwoods in some rooms, etc. There are always options to upgrade such as doing hardwoods throughout, doing full brick or stone exterior, upgraded cabinetry as well as upgraded bathrooms from standard tub/shower combo etc.

Charlotte overall is much lower cost of living than CT, so it's always sticker shock (in a good way) for my clients that move down from up North.

I'd love to help you with your move! Email me directly and I can talk to you about the specific areas and communities you're talking about in regards to new construction, etc.

Hope to help!

John Siddons
Hi Kelly,

Charlotte is a wonderful place to live! You'll enjoy living here. It probably is a little bit of a shock to see what your money gets you in Charlotte compared to CT. It is cheaper to live in the south! The prices you see on the builders sites do include the lot, a liveable house at their basic price, and most appliances. Some builders may not include the refrigerator.

Different builders offer different things in their basic prices. Some might include granite as standard while others offer it as an upgrade. Same with wood floors, ss appliances, taller cabinets in the kitchen and bathrooms, tile floors in bathrooms vs vinyl. It just depends on the builder you choose. I did just speak with a representative from a builder and she said they are raising their prices by about 2% every month so far this year! Plan wisely!

I hope this information helps you to understand a little more about what you get with a new home. If I can be of further assistance to you, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Tracy Clay
Wilkinson & Associates
Hi Kelly!!

Welcome to the south! The home prices here are considerably lower than what you are used to in CT. I am from CT (Windsor & Bloomfield) so I know what comparable home prices are.

Here, you get the whole home (lot, finished home (appliances --refrigerators most cases not).

Another surprise is that the taxes are much lower.

Please let me know if I can answer any further questions.

Regards, Melinda Richardson
It depends on the builder, the catch is that homes here are much cheper than in CT. The taxes are also much lower. I currently have homes being built with True homes, Ryland, Eastwood, and Lennar. I can definatly help you if you need help with new construction. I know that you want to wait a year, just so you know the prices are going up almost every month here on new construction, if you are in a place where you could buy now I would. I would be more than happy to anwser any other questions you might have. Jon Widdifield 704-763-0059 Charlottehomepro@gmail.com. Below is a link to my search site it is great hope you can use it!
Web Reference: http://www.jonnyagent.com
Hi Kelly, I'm not sure what area you are looking at, but new construction is definitely on the rise. Yes, in most cases, the appliances are included and you usually have options for appliance upgrades as well, for example if you wanted to upgrade to a stainless appliance package. Yes, there is a base price and you can upgrade from there based on your preferences. Some builders include different items in the base price. For example, granite countertops may come standard with the home rather than an upgrade. Hardwood floors may come standard in certain areas, such as the foyer and dining room, but hardwoods in the great room would be an upgrade and therefore an additional cost. I would be happy to talk further with you. Feel free to call me at 704-607-2299. You can also go to my website at http://www.debbieviscount.com. I look forward to speaking with you.
Prices are great in our area. New homes do have some of the best deals. The price does include the lot (there may be a price increase if you choose a big lot like a corner lot). What may not be included are the upgrades like granite countertops, higher cabinets, hardwood floors and things like that. Some builders have deals that include some of them in the whole package. I will be glad to tell you about them. Call me at 704-907-6907. Hope this answer your questions.

I moved here form Connecticut seven years ago and have helped family in Connecticut buy and sell homes recently. I know the shock of the prices as compared to Conecticut. but they are not stripped down models and homes come with the lots and applainces and most upgrades. There are always options you can add to a home to customize it the way you want an change some of the colors or cabinets and flooring around that will affect the overall price.

I would love to help you in communitiesd and with the various differnt builders navigate the process...it is not like anythin up north buying a house and having it built in North Carolina. the prices are that much less expensive for a comparable home and the taxes are substantially less expensive than in Connecticut.

Feel free to drop me an e-mail or call me at 704-519-7895.

Dave diCecco
Coldwell Banker United
Cell; 704-519-7895
Hi Kelly!

I sure do hope you and your husband move here! Charlotte is an amazing city, and is only growing!

The packages that new builders are offering for new construction are as advertised! Typically the price you see online will be the base price (which includes the finished, livable home, microwave, stove, blinds, etc) and you can do a few additions in there. Just count on adding between $5-$10k in the purchase price for all the sweet additions you would want! But overall, it isn't a gimmick or a bait and switch.

If you would like, shoot me an email or call/text me and I will send you some ideas as to what I'm talking about. Look forward to working for you :)

Michael Bowman
Benham Real Estate Group