Home Buying in Edgewater>Question Details

Mike K, Home Buyer in New York, NY

My fiance and I are looking to move to NJ from NYC, and we'd like to buy for around $250K. Where should we look?

Asked by Mike K, New York, NY Thu Sep 13, 2012

We're looking for the in between move before we buy a house in the 'burbs, so we'd like some fun restaurants, bars, etc. We've been to Edgewater, but it seems very suburban to me, am I wrong? Also, we have a dog and an easy to commute to NYC is SUPER important.

Answers

14
Call me I can help you get home!

Jose Martinez
Coldwell Banker Home Loans Hoboken
201-494-1973
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 13, 2012
Hi Mike,
My wife and I made a similar move years ago and I can totally relate. It's hard to give up the excitement and pace of the city. There is nothing quite like the ease of a bar or a cup of joe within walking distance. We settled close to Westwood in NJ. It is fantastic! It has the great train line you are looking for and enough "fun" to satisfy during the transition. Also there are options in your price range.
I would be happy to show you around the town. My wife and I love it.

Matt Maynard
Hi Matt i was browsing in the sites to get more information of the properties in New Jersy that i faced with ur quote, first of all we r just moving in to US and we had a long tour started from Manhattan and DC , CA !Huston, anyways we r really hooked to Manhattan but with the budget we have we just can get a very small place in Manhattan but just recently heard that we can get bigger place in NJ somewhere like Edgewater??? Which is close to Manhattan and we can have a great view of Manhattan and the river, so please if u have any real information u can give me write me to my email "negin_javan@yahoo.com" i will really appriciate if u can give me some information., thanks in advance
Flag Sat Apr 27, 2013
I have a very good, patient, professional, hardworking mortgage rep I work with often if you are looking for a resource....shoot me an email and I'll send the contact info along.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results
Good morning Mike K,

First steps:

1. Meet with a Local Mortgage Banker to get prequalified for mortgage financing. The Mortgage Banker will review all facets of your loan request to answer your questions with regards to the types of loans and maximum loan amounts you could qualify for.

2. Get a referral to a good, local, real estate attorney. Call the attorney, retain the attorney so you have her information handy when you make an offer. Having that information at time of offer helps you demonstrate to the Seller how serious you are, and they will consider your offer with more interest.

3. Line up a Home Inspector. A good home inspector will scare the heck out of you: that's what you pay him for! But you'll concentrate on the fundamentals of the property: roof free of leaks, plumbing, heating and electrical up to code and in good working order. Again, when you make an offer and you have your Home Inspector ready to go, your offer will be considered with much more interest by a Seller because you truly have your "ducks in a row" and your preparation demonstrates your serious attitude about conducting the purchase transaction in a timely manner.

4. Find an experienced Local Realtor who works in your desired shopping area. A serious pro Realtor will refuse to show you homes until you are Prequalified for mortgage financing. Don't take offense! That Realtor doesn't want you to be disappointed and wants you to have a smooth experience as you shop for your new home.

Put together your Team of real estate professionals and shop 'til you drop!

Trevor Curran
Hi guys congrats and hope you find a home that fits your need. I bought my house last year in South Hackensack and i have to tell you that i love where I am. At the same time this city has that suburban feeling that you don't like. I love Bergen County in general and there are a few cities that might fit your needs but i really think you should look Hudson County particular Union City and North Bergen and around those areas. Hoboken would had been my first recommendation but with a $250k budget u can't shop in Hoboken. You can also go to Jersey City (I'm not a fan of Jersey City) because u can find a nice place for under $250K. You need to come out and explorer New Jersey. Clifton is a place where u would be able to find a nice house in your price range but it has that Suburban feels to it so maybe you would like Passaic. Explore Hackensack u might like it
Congrats on your engagement and your desire to purchase a home. Because there are so many towns to choose from where your commute can be 30 minutes to an hour to NYC. Consider your desired commuting time to NYC. This can help narrow down your possible location. With gas prices skyrocketing and commuting costs going up, you should consider your commuting costs.

Best of luck in your search!
If you want to ove to an area that doesnt have a suburban feel but more of a city feel, then the areas that come to mind are Hoboken and Jersey City, which has choice walkable entertainment and dining.
Most other areas wll be suburban.
When are you available to view some choice homes in your price range?
Contact me at 973.687.7095 or lbaez@weichert.com. Thanks!

Laquita Baez
Licensed Realtor in NJ and GA
Weichert Realtors
973.687.7095
I think you need to have a plan. Select a couple of towns that have a lot of your wants I can think Montclair and Ridgewood that have most of what you like. Montclair because its very much a college town. towns like these 2 have excellent commuting to the city by both bus and train. But towns like this are expensive so you look to buy in a surrounding town that is cheaper but close enough for you to be able to "commute" to your fun.
Buy a little condo - but I would warn you not all will allow pets - in one of those towns. Once you can get to know an area you can plan for the future and move up to a larger home when the time comes and you can afford to be in the main town of your choice..
Take some time you check out some towns. look for info on the train and bus schedules. check out the schools Check out the availability of the starter condo.
Sound like homework? It sure is :)
Your price point is going to be a challenge, as the closer to the city...and......the easier the commute..........the higher the prices go.

Can you deal with a 1/2 bedroom condo?

Actually, I just thought of a 2 br townhome in W. Orange that is listed for 239,900....it's really very nice with an open floorplan - there's a pool and tennis court......and.........the bus to the city is less than a 5 min walk............it is, however, "real" suburbia...but "next door" to Montclair which has a more urbane vibe......

Feel free to email me, and I will be happy to share some other options with you......

Debbie Rose
Prudential NJ Properties

email: Debbie.Rose@PrudentialNewJersey.com
Clifton, Nutley, Secaucus, Lyndhurst, Garfield, Rutherford, Elmwood Park, Montclair
all have great commute options and lifestyle options
contact me if I can help you
I can show you many houses. and yes you can find a very nice house for that price or even less. if you need more information please don't hesitate in contacting me. here is a list of good towns to live in. not to far from New york..
Garfield, Elmwood park, Rochelle park, Lodi, Saddle Brook, Little Ferry, Moonachie, and many more towns.

If interested Please call me at any time 24/7 I always pick up the phone. I can show you the whole inventory from my office. right now for 250K. you have a lot of choices. maybe a two family will help you better. let sit down and talk I'm ready when you're ready and willing to talk at any time of the day even night 24 hours a day

CENTURY 21 JR GOLD TEAM REALTY
Franklin Marquez
201-565-7839

Thank you.
Carolle - Her parents are in Berkeley Heights, and that's already much farther west then we'd like to go.

Peter - I was worried about that.
Hi Mike-
You might cosider Morris County- Denville in particular.
There is a train to mid town direct,lot of good restaurants,lakes,parks and it is a great place to live.

If you would like to see listings avail. in your price range send me your email address and I will send you some.

Best of luck,Carolle

cadonof@aol.com

973-960-8002 cell
hate to disappoint you but if you think Edgewater is too suburban I am afraid you are not going to find anything. About the only town I can think of that might fit the bill is Hoboken and $250k would not even buy you a parking space let a lone an apartment there.