Mike Abraham, Home Buyer in Pittsburgh, PA

My fiance and I are looking to buy our first home. We are between a townhome and looking for a single family.

Asked by Mike Abraham, Pittsburgh, PA Wed Apr 1, 2009

We want something nice but we would also like to know we have a good chance of getting a return when we sell our house down the road. We have been looking at a very nice townhome in Washington County in the Canonsburg area. It is quite large (2,300 sq ft), but comes with a price tag of about $228K. The area is close to Southpointe, a business park, and it appears a Southpointe II is in develpoment where there will be shops, restaurants, etc. Do you think that is too much to pay for a townhome if we hope to get a retun towards our next house when we sell. Should we just find a single family home. The dilemma we face is any new builds in the single family home arena are much more expensive at this sq ft range. Also, the townhome comes with all the whistles, a large living room, a large kitchen with a small open dining room off to the side, a butler's pantry, vaulted ceilings, stainless appliances, a tiled shower and jacuzzi bath in the master...what should we do. Any suggestions?

Answers

5
Benny Smith’s answer
I like the answers bellow and will add this. You have a better chance at profet on your home purchase if you buy a comparable single family home in our home of Washington County. Compare your desire for comfort against your expected return. The best advice I can give is work with an agent who is willing to work up a CMA for any home you are considering buying. If you are 5% or more below what would be a fair selling price then you are better protected than paying market. Have you considered buying a duplex? Put the income in an account for your next home. You still live in the same building as someone else only there your neighbors are paying you and if you don’t like them. Get someone else where in a condo you have no control who moves in under the same roof as you.
I have 29 acres to sell in Luzerne County Pennsylvania. Are you interested to build and then sell off each acrea to other buyers. You can also Hunt and just get away from it all.

contact me, Doreen

contact me, Doreen
Mike,

The Southern Beltway will be coming through North Strabane and Cecil Township, and some townhome communities will be impacted. Similarly, the value of those properties may be negatively impacted as well. Please feel free to contact me, and I can provide specific information on different townhome communities near Southpointe.

Warm Regards,
Julie
juliecwynar@howardhanna.com
Mike,
I'll tell you what I have been telling my buyer clients for years. It really depends on your lifestyle and how long you plan to stay in the house. In my area which is not that far from you, in an normal market a single family will sell first under most circumstances. I would be hesitant to look at less than 3 bedrooms. The reason I mentioned lifestyle is, you are correct. In a comparison between SF and TH of the same price, the single family will give you a little land and a basic house. The townhouse will give you all the neat extras you want. If you're buying for the long haul (5-7 years or more) then I would recommend you buy what you feel most comfortable living in. Personally I've had a colonial on 3+ acres and I now live in a 2,400+ townhouse with the huge master suite, soaking tub etc. and I love it. Just be happy in what you buy.