Pedro Cabral…, Home Buyer in Jackson Heights, Que...

My father has his house on my name.. I'm trying to remove my name out his house how can I do this?

Asked by Pedro Cabral Jr., Jackson Heights, Queens, NY Tue Apr 23, 2013

I own a co-op. which is my primary home. I let him use my name as a favor when I was single. Now I'm married with 3 kids and I want to purchase my 1st house.

Help the community by answering this question:


Hi Pedro, as long as this is a joint account and you can show that he has been making the payments for the past 12 months then it wont negatively effect you and the payment wont be counted in your debt to income ratio.

If you have any further questions feel free to contact me (347) 242-1206
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 23, 2013
If you're on the mortgage he'll need to refinance in his name only.

What's going on in your profile picture?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 23, 2013
Hello Pedro,

Lorraine's answer is correct. It depends on whether your name is on the mortgage, as removing your name from the deed only is a simple single piece of paper, which you then file with the county.

Good luck,
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 23, 2013
It depends if your name is on the mortgage or just the deed. If it is on the mortgage you will need your father to refinance the house into his name. You will have to sign to have your name removed once he refinances. If it is just on the deed and not the mortgage you can do a "quick claim deed" placing the house in your fathers name. If your namee is on both, when your father refinance the house it can be removed from both. Your father can get another cosigner for the refinance if he needs one.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 23, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2014 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer